2024 49ers offseason

49erurtaza

18 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Honestly the thing i like most is that if basically puts you on the spot and you have to pick the guy you like most without basically knowing where he will end up and such. Like its "easy" to just list the guys you like most or people you think will bust. Having to actually pick that exact one at the time and doing it for every round is so different and for me one of my absolute favourite things about the draft. 

Looking back outside of my first one in 2018 its an absolute mess and full of complete busts and even guys that never even played a down in the NFL.

Often, it's trying to take that guy just a half around ahead of consensus because you believe in him just because that's the point where you can get the jump on the other folks that feel the same without giving up too much capital. I'd put Zach Tom for me on this list (I would have fielded a much better OLine, lol). Sometimes it's about grabbing the fallers that have qualities that you shouldn't expect for the area that you are taking them (hoping that you aren't stopping the fall rounds ahead of where they'd regularly go, lol). Like...Jajaun Jennings may have been slow and a touch temperamental, but he was a really monstrous college playmaker for the round and broke tons of tackles. I loved those qualities and took him ahead of where the 9ers did.

25 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Look at Sauce trying to recruit Aiyuk to the Jets!!!!

I mean, he’s not wrong! Aiyuk has always felt to be the second read on majority of plays, but now that Purdy has built that connection, Kyle should develop a lot more for him this offseason. 

Let me preface by saying yes I know Aiyuk clearly got a lot of touches this season, but we are also ranked 32 in passing, so clearly I mean more! 

Plus trading Aiyuk is going to hurt Purdy’s development! I personally don’t see a way where this is a positive, IF he’s traded! I think we’ll be taking a huge step backwards especially on offense after we took a step forward with finding Purdy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JIllg said:

Often, it's trying to take that guy just a half around ahead of consensus because you believe in him just because that's the point where you can get the jump on the other folks that feel the same without giving up too much capital. I'd put Zach Tom for me on this list (I would have fielded a much better OLine, lol). Sometimes it's about grabbing the fallers that have qualities that you shouldn't expect for the area that you are taking them (hoping that you aren't stopping the fall rounds ahead of where they'd regularly go, lol). Like...Jajaun Jennings may have been slow and a touch temperamental, but he was a really monstrous college playmaker for the round and broke tons of tackles. I loved those qualities and took him ahead of where the 9ers did.

Tom was a guy I drafted as well. I was a huuuuuuuuuuuuge fan. The packers took like 3 or 4 of my "Are you smarter than" picks that year

Also, I think it's fascinating when you go back and you can look at your own tendencies. 

Twice, for example, I had an opportunity to draft an interior defensive lineman and opted for the offensive lineman instead (Tunsil over Buckner, Wirfs over Kinlaw). 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Plus trading Aiyuk is going to hurt Purdy’s development! I personally don’t see a way where this is a positive, IF he’s traded! I think we’ll be taking a huge step backwards especially on offense after we took a step forward with finding Purdy. 

I don't think he gets traded....but could depend on what he's looking for in terms of salary. If he waits, and JJ resets the market with the Bosa deal (which may be expected), I think Aiyuk may ask for something very close to 30 per year, and I could see the niners pass on that. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think he gets traded....but could depend on what he's looking for in terms of salary. If he waits, and JJ resets the market with the Bosa deal (which may be expected), I think Aiyuk may ask for something very close to 30 per year, and I could see the niners pass on that. 

Last year's Aiyuk was worth all of 30 mil this last year with the crazy yards per reception, lack of drops, catches over expected, melting man coverage. Tremendous blocker. Consistent effort. But it was one year. I just think he's one of the three most important assets on the roster with Purdy and Bosa. Such a core is what you build franchises on. Available, accountable, superb players at the most important positions on the field.

• Like 6

Deal should get done. Aiyuk is really the only proven receiver that can be an X on the field, and play well in man coverage. Would be a shame to lose him. Hopefully the front brass doesn't drag this out until the clock strikes midnight like it did with Bosa. Glock13 will finally go into the offseason with a full training camp, and no foreseeable setbacks. Having his #1 receiver there to continue to build a relationship would be ideal. Obviously they know that, so I'd be disappointed if this takes longer than it should. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, StevenK said:

Let me preface by saying yes I know Aiyuk clearly got a lot of touches this season, but we are also ranked 32 in passing, so clearly I mean more! 

That's something else. If Aiyuk doesn't like being in an offense that ideally when operating at it's max is going to be near the bottom in passing attempts, then he'll want to move on. I know numbers are important to these guys, and how they are utilized. But he did get a lot of touches this past year. If he's really ticked off at what happened in the Super Bowl, that's fair. But there were a lot of things that contributed to that loss. 

What's so frustrating is if Richburg stays healthy in 2019 and Feliciano is in the game late instead of Burford, there is a good chance we are 2x Super Bowl champs. The interior OL has been a huge reason (far from the only reason) for why we have fallen short. Just brutal. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

What's so frustrating is if Richburg stays healthy in 2019 and Feliciano is in the game late instead of Burford, there is a good chance we are 2x Super Bowl champs. The interior OL has been a huge reason (far from the only reason) for why we have fallen short. Just brutal. 

And just injuries in general. Dee Ford's body giving out on him took a lot of gas out of that team. Jimmy's ankle injury in the Vikings game left him even more limited than usual (and his repeated ankle injuries the next year just kept eating away at his already limited athleticism). The loss of Ronald Blair that year also took a lot of gas out of what was an excellent defensive line. Same for D.J. Jones. A huge part of that Super Bowl was the 9ers D line playing Sheldon Day meaningful snaps. Before those injuries, the defensive line was probably the best, deepest defensive line I've watched in my lifetime. Even when the rotation guys were in, they were a menace. This year, the Huf and Greenlaw injuries turned our strength at closing down quick timing routes and outside runs down immediately into terrible weaknesses. Gip tried, but he is vile as a box safety. And Oren Burks just doesn't have any feel for being an actual linebacker; he was signed firstly as a special teamer.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JIllg said:

And just injuries in general. Dee Ford's body giving out on him took a lot of gas out of that team. Jimmy's ankle injury in the Vikings game left him even more limited than usual (and his repeated ankle injuries the next year just kept eating away at his already limited athleticism). The loss of Ronald Blair that year also took a lot of gas out of what was an excellent defensive line. Same for D.J. Jones. A huge part of that Super Bowl was the 9ers D line playing Sheldon Day meaningful snaps. Before those injuries, the defensive line was probably the best, deepest defensive line I've watched in my lifetime. Even when the rotation guys were in, they were a menace. This year, the Huf and Greenlaw injuries turned our strength at closing down quick timing routes and outside runs down immediately into terrible weaknesses. Gip tried, but he is vile as a box safety. And Oren Burks just doesn't have any feel for being an actual linebacker; he was signed firstly as a special teamer.

Yeah, but like injuries happen all around....We had very good health this year in the playoffs and likewise in 2019. Except the interior OL injuries just killed us in the worst time. To the team's credit, they paid big bucks for Richburg and spent a 2nd round pick on Banks. But the right side of the OL has always been a major liability and has not been fixed since Shanny/Lynch got here. Of course, we spent a top 10 pick on McGlinchey and he was just okay. The RG position in particular has been a revolving door and the position that has cost us the most as we were depending on Person/Burford to block Jones. 

17 hours ago, Forge said:

The big name edge guys to watch are Mack and Bosa. 

The chargers are going to make some moves. They have to because of their cap. I think if you wanted to throw a third at them for either of those guys, it may get it done. Would have to restructure them after acquiring, and each is largely a one year rental (with big dead money in 2025), but if you're wanting to go all in, those are guys you can look at 

I love the idea of bringing in Bosa.  If he is an actual cap causality, we'd have a great chance of getting him on a more team friendly deal.   

27 minutes ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

I love the idea of bringing in Bosa.  If he is an actual cap causality, we'd have a great chance of getting him on a more team friendly deal.   

A Bosa signing a team friendly deal? Yeah, something tells me that is one family that does not believe in team friendly deals lol. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

A Bosa signing a team friendly deal? Yeah, something tells me that is one family that does not believe in team friendly deals lol. 

Correct, i don't expect that

He's 22 million against the cap this year with another year. 

My expectation is they get Bosa is that trade for him on his current deal, and a void year or two, convert most of that salary and roster bonus to signing bonus.  Adding two void years and converting 20 million would put the current year cap hit at 7 million. 

• Like 1