2024 49ers offseason

49erurtaza

We really need a replacement for Kittle soon and I'm not talking Latu. Any good TEs that may drop to the bottom of the 2nd? 

Our STs unit has to go back to being top 10 with a likely drop off on the offensive side of the ball and possibly even more of a slide on the defensive side. Time to replace Schneider? 

I would think we hire a DC sometime this week. Since we run the wide 9, any good candidates on the Browns defensive staff? 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

We really need a replacement for Kittle soon and I'm not talking Latu. Any good TEs that may drop to the bottom of the 2nd? 

Our STs unit has to go back to being top 10 with a likely drop off on the offensive side of the ball and possibly even more of a slide on the defensive side. Time to replace Schneider? 

I would think we hire a DC sometime this week. Since we run the wide 9, any good candidates on the Browns defensive staff? 

Watch some Ben Sinnott, y'all. Said my piece about him in my undervalued players bit. Folks are catching on to this year's tape. Starting to climb up consensus draft boards. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Sanders or Stover (probably goes a little later) could be there (I don't think Sanders will be, but you never know), but I don't think you can justify tight end over OG/OT, DE, DT in that spot. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the team leans safety over tight end either, though I think if they have real concern about huf being ready for the season they'll entire Gipson to stick around cheaply. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JIllg said:

Watch some Ben Sinnott, y'all. Said my piece about him in my undervalued players bit. Folks are catching on to this year's tape. Starting to climb up consensus draft boards. 

Took him in my last mock after doing a little digging at your recommendation

44 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I don't think they will trade him.  It's just too hard to get a quality of player as good as he is.  

There is always a package or price that would make sense.  The only thing that would makes sense to me would be one or more high level players at different positions.  

They definitely won't trade him. Not many teams will make that kind of move in a in contention window. Having Patrick mahomes allows you to do it, not the case for too many others though unless that player is making a stink

9 hours ago, Forge said:

Sanders or Stover (probably goes a little later) could be there (I don't think Sanders will be, but you never know), but I don't think you can justify tight end over OG/OT, DE, DT in that spot. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the team leans safety over tight end either, though I think if they have real concern about huf being ready for the season they'll entire Gipson to stick around cheaply. 

I don't think they take another safety unless they plan on letting Hufanfa walk after next season, which is possible. 

I'm big on going OL/DL on the first three of the first four picks. However, taking the best player available at the end of the first makes sense. 

James Williams from Miami is a safety I’d be super interested in. At the very least you are pretty much guaranteed a stud special teamer, but he could develop into much more than that imo and would be awesome down in the box in three safety looks.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Dan Graziano thinks the most likely result with aiyuk is that he's traded (purely speculation, to be clear. He's not indicating claiming inside info)

That would be interesting to say the least since he's really the lone man beater at that position on the team. The last thing Purdy needs for his development is Aiyuk to be traded. 

I don't see that happening. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That would be interesting to say the least since he's really the lone man beater at that position on the team. The last thing Purdy needs for his development is Aiyuk to be traded. 

I don't see that happening. 

I think it depends on where they stand with regards to the contract. Graziano thinks the issue for the niners is that the receiver market has gone cold and guys haven't gotten their deals (Jefferson, Pittman, Lamb, Higgins...ASB also up for an extension this off season) so you'd probably have to blow Aiyuk away to get him to sign quickly. Furthermore, he thinks Aiyuk may want to go somewhere he can get true #1 targets and get paid accordingly (Graziano again is very specific that he's speculating and has no knowledge, but the suggestion would then be that Aiyuk may be looking at something much closer to the very top of the receiver market - 30 million aav type money) 

He also says that Purdy's pending massive cap hits are a concern, but I disagree with that given how many of the vets are going to be gone by that point (one of the reasons I'd start pushing through some of the dead cap now, but I understand that they won't). 

• Like 2

I would obviously keep Aiyuk as I've stated numerous of times but the adjustment I make is within the offense and have him be the clear featured #1 passing option. That's an adjustment that Kyle needs to make on his own and that will keep Aiyuk happy and will allow us to have more success against teams that can run press man coverage.

Graziano is prediction we extend Hufanga and they may be able to get him a bit cheap because of his injury so that's a smart play right there. 

Greenlaw is one I don't know how you handle. That man is a pure force and game changer when healthy....BUT he plays so reckless that he won't be healthy often. You just have to hope that Winters or Graham end up being the real deal. Tricky situation .

• Like 2

So I never even thought about extending Warner but it makes a whole a lot of sense to do it this offseason. 

If we restructure Deebo's deal, where would that put us in 2025? 

I do not want to touch Armstead's contract again and don't think that is necessary.

Extend Warner, restructure Warner/Deebo and we should have enough space to fill our needs and carry over a decent amount of cap space for next season. 

Graziano did not mention doing anything with Ward's deal which I thought was weird. I would take care of that ASAP. Would that help our cap situation though?

And Juice absolutely cannot come back with his current cap hit for 2024. He's just not utilized nearly enough to allocate that much money to a FB.

How about CMC? Anything we can do here? 

There's just so many avenues we have in creating a ton of cap space while not screwing ourselves in the future that I do not see a good reason to trade Aiyuk. I fully understand the question regarding the WR market and how there are some heavy hitters that have not gotten paid yet. 

I think with some restructures we can re-sign Aiyuk, possibly extend Hufanga and even bring Young back on a one year prove it deal. That's the ideal offseason. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Greenlaw is one I don't know how you handle. That man is a pure force and game changer when healthy....BUT he plays so reckless that he won't be healthy often. You just have to hope that Winters or Graham end up being the real deal. Tricky situation .

I've been considering this quite a bit since the super bowl. The best solution I've come up with is to get Greenlaw to sign a 1 year extension to rebuild the value. I think if Greenlaw didn't get hurt and hit the market in 2025 as expected, he was going to get a Warner-esque deal.  Like 18-19 million aav. I think I'll have a more clear idea of what he would get when Queen signs his deal this off season, but I think it's going to be a lot. 

I think it's a lot risk to take for him to go into the last year of his deal playing on a recovering Achilles. 

So I'm thinking they extend him this year for a single season. Drop his base to 1 million, give him like a 10 million dollar signing bonus spread out over this year and next with a void year (he already has 2 void years on the contract, one of which will be invalidated with the extension, so we aren't adding anything there unless we want to go back to 2). 

The primary problem with this is that I can't figure out what salary to give him for 2025. The team's cap situation is not likely to be much better that year, so giving him like a 10-12 million base salary probably won't work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I've been considering this quite a bit since the super bowl. The best solution I've come up with is to get Greenlaw to sign a 1 year extension to rebuild the value. I think if Greenlaw didn't get hurt and hit the market in 2025 as expected, he was going to get a Warner-esque deal.  Like 18-19 million aav. I think I'll have a more clear idea of what he would get when Queen signs his deal this off season, but I think it's going to be a lot. 

I think it's a lot risk to take for him to go into the last year of his deal playing on a recovering Achilles. 

So I'm thinking they extend him this year for a single season. Drop his base to 1 million, give him like a 10 million dollar signing bonus spread out over this year and next with a void year (he already has 2 void years on the contract, one of which will be invalidated with the extension, so we aren't adding anything there unless we want to go back to 2). 

The primary problem with this is that I can't figure out what salary to give him for 2025. The team's cap situation is not likely to be much better that year, so giving him like a 10-12 million base salary probably won't work.

It's a tough decision but I think you just let him play out his current deal and let him go elsewhere after next season. Greenlaw does not have much leverage but I don't want to put ourselves in a tougher spot in 2025, especially considering that Greenlaw may never be the same player ever again. Plus, it is a curious decision to allocate so much money to the LB position.  

31 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So I never even thought about extending Warner but it makes a whole a lot of sense to do it this offseason. 

Warner has 3 years left on his deal. They can do it, but it's pretty rare that you see the extension that far in advance. I don't hate it. That would cover his age 30 and 31 seasons, so that's probably fine. 

If we restructure Deebo's deal, where would that put us in 2025? 

This mostly depends on what the intention is for Deebo. LIS, I think this year or next year is the jumping off point for him. I can't imagine that this team is looking to re-sign him when the contract is up and he's 30 years old. 

If you restructure him this year, you're talking 19 million. Currently he has 4 years left (2 contract years, 2 void years). You'd get this year's figure down to about 11 or 12 million (currently 28), next year's figure would jump to about 28-29, and you'd get no relief from moving on from him. His dead cap would also be about 29. This along with the jump Aiyuk's hit and Purdy's hit (the latter will have a low first year cap hit, but it'll still be more than his current contract) is going to tie up quite a bit of money.  If you keep him this year and next, he's a free agent in 2026 but he's still about 18-19 million of dead cap on the 26 cap which is rough. 

The way his contract is set up without a real restructure option pre-extension is one of the reasons I'd be willing to jump off that train now. 

Graziano did not mention doing anything with Ward's deal which I thought was weird. I would take care of that ASAP. Would that help our cap situation though?

Hard to say. He's going to be 29 and coming off an all pro season. I would think the the comparable contract would be Xavien Howard, who signed at 28 and was excellent at that point as well. That deal was 5 / 90 with 14 at signing. That'll save a little money if it were similar, assuming a comparable signing bonus and minimum base salary. You'd have 5 on the existing signing + restructure + 1.05 of whatever base salary + new signing bonus (let's say it's 15 spread over 5) would give you a cap hit of around 9-10 (depending on the workout bonuses and whatnot). Would cut his cap nearly in half. 

And Juice absolutely cannot come back with his current cap hit for 2024. He's just not utilized nearly enough to allocate that much money to a FB.

I've been saying this for years LOL. I wouldn't be surprised if they push some of Juice's cap into the future though. 

How about CMC? Anything we can do here? 

You can probably squeeze 8-9 here if you add more void years. We'd be pretty close to setting 26 on fire with the dead money on void years pending re-signings that year. 

• Like 1