2024 49ers offseason

49erurtaza

4 minutes ago, Herodreamer79 said:

they were middle of the pack vs the pass but were 2nd in points allowed this year. t-1 in INTs. like 3rd against the run.

They were one of the worst run defenses in the league, my man. 

They were tied for first in INTs last year. That's not a Wilks thing. 

5 minutes ago, Herodreamer79 said:

Hargrave and chase young didn't live up to snuff. the defensive line isn't what it was the last few years. Armstead was out a quarter of the season.

The defensive line was arguably worse last year. Part of the reason the defensive line may not have lived up to it is because he continually played soft coverages into pressure. 

It's possible that they are just getting older, that is going to happen, but we can't say that for sure. What we can say is that this definitely wasn't a fit and hasn't been all year.

• Like 5

With Chase Young, and Clelil Ferrell all FA. Drake Jackson, I'm not sure of his timeline for returning as he had ACL surgery really late. Per OTC Randy Gregory's 2024 contract is already voided. 

The 49ers have a big hole at DE. I'd assume Ferrell is brought back at a cheap rate. The coaching staff seems to love Robert Beal. Hard to assume Chase Young is back unless he takes a very low-cost 1 year deal. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

With Chase Young, and Clelil Ferrell all FA. Drake Jackson, I'm not sure of his timeline for returning as he had ACL surgery really late. Per OTC Randy Gregory's 2024 contract is already voided. 

The 49ers have a big hole at DE. I'd assume Ferrell is brought back at a cheap rate. The coaching staff seems to love Robert Beal. Hard to assume Chase Young is back unless he takes a very low-cost 1 year deal. 

Yeah, I don't see Chase coming back. Someone is going to give him like 12 million for 1 year and we just can't compete with those type of heavy handed one year deals. 

• Like 1

Kyle likes hiring younger coaches so he can groom them and have them coach exactly how he wants them to. That's why there were some issues with the Wilks hire from the start. Wilks has established his own reputation and has his own defense but that does not work with Kyle. There is a reason Kyle started to overrule him on some stuff as the season progressed and why he would get so upset with him on certain calls.

Basically all these predictions of Kyle hiring an experienced DC is likely wrong. He's targeting a young, bright defensive coach. May be on the staff.

hey are we really about to lose both Jauan and Aiyuk this offseason?  

God that would be terrible. They and Purdy should be the next iteration of this offense. 

instead we're going to end up losing both and carrying Kittle and Deebo well past their prime and missing games as injuries pile up. 

ugh

Edited by Herodreamer79
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I think we’ll bring in one in FA and of course draft. 

I personally don’t think it will be Gregory or Young. I could us taking another DE on a prove it hire, but without knowing whose available who fits that mold. Maybe Uche or a run defense DE? 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Yeah, I don't see Chase coming back. Someone is going to give him like 12 million for 1 year and we just can't compete with those type of heavy handed one year deals. 

I actually think there is a chance that Young returns on a one year deal and cashes out next season if/when he puts up 10+ sacks. At first I thought there wasn't much of a chance of him returning but I've changed my opinion on that front. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Kyle likes hiring younger coaches so he can groom them and have them coach exactly how he wants them to. That's why there were some issues with the Wilks hire from the start. Wilks has established his own reputation and has his own defense but that does not work with Kyle. There is a reason Kyle started to overrule him on some stuff as the season progressed and why he would get so upset with him on certain calls.

Basically all these predictions of Kyle hiring an experienced DC is likely wrong. He's targeting a young, bright defensive coach. May be on the staff.

Only thing I will push back on, a lot of the personnel on staff are DB coaches and I think he wants or everyone assumes he wants a LB coach type to take over. Bullock, Sorensen are all DB guys. I still think Kourcek doesn’t want the role. 

I also feel like he knows this is probably the last year we keep our guys intact or the marquee core, I think I could see a big name come here for a year (at minimum) that he respects 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I actually think there is a chance that Young returns on a one year deal and cashes out next season if/when he puts up 10+ sacks. At first I thought there wasn't much of a chance of him returning but I've changed my opinion on that front. 

I agree. imo, no one is giving him what he wants right now. I'd be happy with him on a one year deal, and drafting a DE.

5 minutes ago, Herodreamer79 said:

God that would be terrible. They and Purdy should be the next iteration of this offense. 

instead we're going to end up losing both and carrying Kittle and Deebo well past their prime and missing games as injuries pile up. 

ugh

I'd rather keep them than Deebo at this point. I agree that BA and Jennings can be the guys.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I really like the idea of Lynn's son, tbh 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Depends on if he's willing to wait for his payday. Coming back here almost certainly provides him with one of the better opportunities to perform, but we just don't have a ton of money 

15 minutes ago, Herodreamer79 said:

ugh

I'd trade Jennings if you can get like a 4th for him. I think that is the smart play 

I don't think Aiyuk is going anywhere. Would have to be an impressive trade haul. 

I've mentioned before that I would listen on both Deebo and Kittle, but I think there is a lot going on their that makes that super unlikely. I think their personality for the 49ers culture is kind of a big deal. The both only provide you with small financial savings, and I don't think that the trade value would be high enough to justify it. I don't know that you get a first for either or anything. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Only thing I will push back on, a lot of the personnel on staff are DB coaches and I think he wants or everyone assumes he wants a LB coach type to take over. Bullock, Sorensen are all DB guys. I still think Kourcek doesn’t want the role. 

I also feel like he knows this is probably the last year we keep our guys intact or the marquee core, I think I could see a big name come here for a year (at minimum) that he respects 

I mean it does not necessarily need to be someone from the staff. But there's still some candidates that can work. I don't necessarily think it was Wilks being a DBs coach that Kyle did not mesh with.