2024 Offseason: The Combine

swede700

It’s a gut feeling, but the more I hear Caleb Williams interview, the more that comes out about him, I come away less impressed each time. 

The raw talent is undeniable. But I question whether or not he’s going to be someone that reaches that full potential. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s a gut feeling, but the more I hear Caleb Williams interview, the more that comes out about him, I come away less impressed each time. 

The raw talent is undeniable. But I question whether or not he’s going to be someone that reaches that full potential. 

i've felt that way for a long time now, ever since the news came out months ago he was asking for partial ownership of the team that drafted him.

talk about entitled.

• Like 3

Alec Lewis@alec_lewis

Multiple top-end quarterbacks (J.J. McCarthy, Michael Penix, Jayde Daniels) praised their formal interviews with the #Vikings this morning. Unsurprising. Multiple folks — agents, team personnel — described Kevin O’Connell and Brian Flores’ intentionality/responsibility this cycle as notable.

EDIT: when did "intentionality" become a word? sheesh.

use it in a sentence where you can't instead use "intention."

Edited by vike daddy

Michael Penix Jr,  longest arms 33 5/8" and 10 1/2" hands of any QB at the combine and that includes the 6-5 235 Joe Milton.  

Dude can really spin the football and drive it downfield and has great field vision and awareness.  The talk of him falling to the late 1st early 2nd round is probably not going to happen.  Also apparently had no red flags at all in his physical.  He is absolutely in play for Minnesota, Denver or the Raiders.  

JJ McCarthy did not wow me with his throwing and mostly because he was stationary I feel.  That is where Penix is at his best, McCarthy is at his best on the move and rolling outside the pocket.  In the pocket though Penix is the better QB no question.  Nix was impressive as well with his presence.  With the age and experience of Nix and Penix the team that drafts either one should be good to go because they are so experienced with the game.    

• Like 2

On 3/1/2024 at 9:35 AM, SemperFeist said:

The winds certainly seem to be shifting to Kirk not coming back. 

Atlanta?  Why would the Falcons do that when they could potentially get Jayden Daniels or Drake Maye?  Also not as if they are in win now mode.  Sure the secondary is solid but lack true edge rushers, the WR core is so so in terms of depth.  Granted maybe those two QBs are gone by then but it is not totally out of the possibility.  If they want to pay Kirk Cousins and think they will win a Super Bowl because of that move, good luck with that one.  Same can be said for let us say Washington or New England, neither team is in win now mode so why pay a QB like Cousins $30-$35 mil a year?  

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Michael Penix Jr,  longest arms 33 5/8" and 10 1/2" hands of any QB at the combine and that includes the 6-5 235 Joe Milton.  

Dude can really spin the football and drive it downfield and has great field vision and awareness.  The talk of him falling to the late 1st early 2nd round is probably not going to happen.  Also apparently had no red flags at all in his physical.  He is absolutely in play for Minnesota, Denver or the Raiders.  

JJ McCarthy did not wow me with his throwing and mostly because he was stationary I feel.  That is where Penix is at his best, McCarthy is at his best on the move and rolling outside the pocket.  In the pocket though Penix is the better QB no question.  Nix was impressive as well with his presence.  With the age and experience of Nix and Penix the team that drafts either one should be good to go because they are so experienced with the game.    

I agree Penix and Nix appear the most pro ready. If the plan is to not bring back Cousins or a veteran bridge then Penix has to moat appeal. I think McCarthy needs to be in the right situation behind an experienced veteran. 

13 hours ago, BWG VIKE said:

I agree Penix and Nix appear the most pro ready. If the plan is to not bring back Cousins or a veteran bridge then Penix has to moat appeal. I think McCarthy needs to be in the right situation behind an experienced veteran. 

Nightmare scenario. Penix and Nix are the lowest ceiling guys in the top 6 QBs. Can they start sooner? Sure. But their ceilings are, at best, Kirk Cousins (not saying they’re the same kind of players, but that their best case scenario is being as good as Cousins, not better). Ceilings they likely won’t reach in their first contracts (in my opinion). To me, taking either of them in the first round is a massive mistake. 

Edited by wcblack34
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

To me, taking either of them in the first round is a massive mistake. 

to me, taking Penix/Nix anywhere in the draft is a massive mistake because of the risk/reward ratio. i don't see the reward there ever.

20 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

to me, taking Penix/Nix anywhere in the draft is a massive mistake because of the risk/reward ratio. i don't see the reward there ever.

I’d take them on day 3 with the intention they might be good backups or more. But anywhere in the first 2 rounds is just dumb.  

• Like 1

NFL Network's Peter Schrager on JJ McCarthy's performance Saturday:

"He went out there, competed, and threw the ball very, very well. I got a text from an NFL evaluator, very respected one saying, 'Of all these guys, McCarthy translates to the NFL the most.' He had an outstanding day out here."

i PM with my new Brazilian buddy @BowserBroncos regularly lately and wrote him once that McCarthy will need the most time to grow into being a starting NFL QB. his reply echoes what is above, that actually he's one of the most ready.

• Like 1