2024 Offseason: The Combine

swede700

33 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’ve been saying this for awhile now. 

i'm old, i'm slow. it takes me awhile to catch up.

and you're not the only one, as you know:

McCarthy may not be quite the same level of prospect as Williams, Daniels, or Maye, but he has franchise QB potential nonetheless. He's a proven winner who arguably possesses greater upside than Penix and Nix in the QB4 conversation. Keep an eye on the Vikings as a team who could be interested in McCarthy at No. 11 overall.

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/2024-nfl-draft-michigan-qb-jj-mccarthy-good-fit-vikings

Edited by vike daddy

What a fun week watching the combine!  Well, as best I could from 32-below 0🥶  Just like many a fan, I have so many thoughts running through my mind.  First, the #11 pick SHOULD yield a stud for years.   I see 3 guys being good options at what I see as major position of need . . . QB or DE.   I watched Penix throw some nice passes and he's got good size, but I watched him crack under pressure in three games this year . . . Not saying that's not fixable, but fans are rabid.   The more pressure he sees, the more likely he is to bust.

Alternatively, McCarthy seems to be more of a Joe Burrow type.   Luckily, he measured in with acceptable size.  If Cousins isn't resigned, I believe McCarthy would be the first pick.

If Cousins resigns, then, I see Turner or Verse as guys who'd be stellar choices.

As a Jackrabbit alum, loved seeing Isaiah Davis, Mason McCormick and Garrett Greenfield perform and hold their own.  I think Davis ran slower than I was hoping for, but he put himself in day 3.   For the 605 Hogs, awesome job . . . Just waiting to see how the bench and move in short spaces.   

• Like 3

10 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Nightmare scenario. Penix and Nix are the lowest ceiling guys in the top 6 QBs. Can they start sooner? Sure. But their ceilings are, at best, Kirk Cousins (not saying they’re the same kind of players, but that their best case scenario is being as good as Cousins, not better). Ceilings they likely won’t reach in their first contracts (in my opinion). To me, taking either of them in the first round is a massive mistake. 

Based on what? Size, athleticism, arm strength? I don’t see either as low upside guys.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 7:48 PM, Ozzy said:

Atlanta?  Also not as if they are in win now mode. 

As I said before...in that division they are.  They may not be a SB-worthy team necessarily, but they aren't that far away.  Signing Kirk Cousins, they are immediately a playoff team in that division...and with the NFC as weak as it really is overall, you never know, they could get lucky.   

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Worm Guts said:

Based on what? Size, athleticism, arm strength? I don’t see either as low upside guys.

IMO, they are the prototypical high floor, low upside guys...mainly because of how long they've already played in college.  We likely already know who they are.

Edited by swede700

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

IMO, they are the prototypical high floor, low upside guys...mainly because of how long they've already played in college.  We likely already know who they are.

So, you are in the "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" camp. 

Vike Daddy, what should we Ancients think about that?😁

19 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

So, you are in the "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" camp. 

Vike Daddy, what should we Ancients think about that?😁

I didn't say that.  😉  You can always learn new tricks, but whether that's going to elevate your game significantly is a whole other question.  I didn't pick up running until my 40s...and am going to be running my first marathon at Grandma's in June, but that doesn't mean my upside as an athlete has all of a sudden risen that significantly.  🤣

22 hours ago, vike daddy said:

i'm old, i'm slow. it takes me awhile to catch up.

and you're not the only one, as you know:

McCarthy may not be quite the same level of prospect as Williams, Daniels, or Maye, but he has franchise QB potential nonetheless. He's a proven winner who arguably possesses greater upside than Penix and Nix in the QB4 conversation. Keep an eye on the Vikings as a team who could be interested in McCarthy at No. 11 overall.

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/2024-nfl-draft-michigan-qb-jj-mccarthy-good-fit-vikings

Bryce was a proven winner.......this idea that a college QB who didn't throw the ball much is a proven winner seems odd to me. They ran the ball at will....

I have no idea if McCarthy is going to be good in the NFL, but this proven winner stuff is silly, imo. 

• Like 1

I've watched the Combine for 30+ years, and there's always a lot of talk about QBs and rightfully so.  This class has 7-8 guys who could be starters during their rookie contract years.  However, history points to 25% of these guys being busts, 50% will be average (at best) starters or just back ups, and 25% will be stars.  

This is one of the crazier Combines though.   To me, it seemed like the depth of OTs and OGs is going to shake up the 1st and 2nd rounds.  I wouldn't be surprised if there were 6 QBs taken in rounds 1 and 2 and then none til Rd 6 . . . I could see TE being passed over until Rd 3 because the big ugliest and WR were that amazing.   RBs will be RD 3 & 4 jewels, but will there be one taken before then?  

For example, how many teams had Patrick Paul in their top 50? Or Xavier Wothy, Isaac Guerendo, or Mason McCormick . . . I might be reaching, but I'd bet 75% of teams will move guys like these waaaay up their boards.  

For the Vikes, hitting on 4 picks in positions of need would be excellent . . . In 3 weeks, we'll know where KAM and KOC are leaning based on wjlhat they do in FA. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, swede700 said:

I don't think the mere fact that they are older should mean they are low upside prospects. They did play at an elite level like you would hope an older player would play. Tom Brady spent 5 years in college.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

I don't think the mere fact that they are older should mean they are low upside prospects. They did play at an elite level like you would hope an older player would play. Tom Brady spent 5 years in college.

I wasn't specifically talking age, as it's more than that (while it is still a factor).  With as much experience as they had playing, I expected them to perform well...but it took them extremely long to get there.  At least Penix had the excuse of suffering season-ending injuries for 4 years in a row. 

The difference between them and Brady is that Brady didn't even really get much experience in college, so he was untapped.  He only played in 6 games over his first 3 years (1 of which was spent as a redshirt)...and only played in 29 games overall.  Nix played in more than 60 and Penix played in nearly 50.  Brady is an extreme outlier on the general rule. 

I'm not saying that they can't have more upside than what is known currently, I'm just saying it's unlikely.  I generally think if you've played that much, we generally know what you are.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

I didn't say that.  😉  You can always learn new tricks, but whether that's going to elevate your game significantly is a whole other question.  I didn't pick up running until my 40s...and am going to be running my first marathon at Grandma's in June, but that doesn't mean my upside as an athlete has all of a sudden risen that significantly.  🤣

Congratulations on getting to run your first marathon. I finished a marathon (first and only in 1996) when I was 35. One of the greatest feelings in my life crossing that finish line.  In another race I was in a year later I fractured bones in both feet and really haven't been able to run competitively or recreationally since.  I know shoe technology has come a long way in the last 38 years, but, still do what you must to protect your feet. Don't be like me and run on already stressed feet.   I wish you the best and may the wind always be at your back helping you along!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, swede700 said:

As I said before...in that division they are.  They may not be a SB-worthy team necessarily, but they aren't that far away.  Signing Kirk Cousins, they are immediately a playoff team in that division...and with the NFC as weak as it really is overall, you never know, they could get lucky.   

That division yes is weak but the NFC all of these teams are far better than the Atlanta Falcons:  49ers, Dallas, Green Bay, Detroit, Philadelphia, Seattle, LA Rams etc....  Tampa Bay and New Orleans are not awful either but do have some choices to make.  No way they would make it past the top four NFC teams though I would feel even with Kirk Cousins because honestly it is not like they are getting Josh Allen or something

Not every team is “Super Bowl or bust”. 

The Falcons are looking to build a foundation, and establish a new culture. A veteran QB like Cousins gives them an established, and stable presence at the most important position while they build that foundation. 

• Like 3

The NFC is full of teams that have warts. Philadelphia, Dallas, San Francisco, and Detroit all have flaws. I think it became very obvious at the end of last season that no team in the NFC was unstoppable. I think it is laughable that people are proclaiming them to be great teams before free agency has even started. Dallas and Philadelphia are definitely poised to take steps back because they are paying inadequate quarterbacks elite quarterback money. Hurts and Prescott are great on rookie deals. $50MM plus per season? Not so much.