2024 Offseason Tracker

General Tso

With Chris Jones signing his massive contract I imagine Sneed will be traded. We'd have to give up a high pick... Probably 29, then pay him something similar to what the Bears paid Johnson... But you're getting a proven CB1 instead of chancing it on a rookie. 

This team is within striking distance of a Superbowl so it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Holmes and Campbell get aggressive and that would definitely be an aggressive move to go for it all now. 

I'm torn on it personally... But I definitely wouldn't be upset if they do it. You aren't getting a premier pass rusher at 29 and you you're probably down to the 4th or 5th best CB prospect in the draft at that point. I'd love it if they could figure out a way to get it done keeping 29 but I don't see that happening, our picks are too low and I imagine someone would outbid us if we try to avoid giving up our first.

4 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

With Chris Jones signing his massive contract I imagine Sneed will be traded. We'd have to give up a high pick... Probably 29, then pay him something similar to what the Bears paid Johnson... But you're getting a proven CB1 instead of chancing it on a rookie. 

This team is within striking distance of a Superbowl so it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Holmes and Campbell get aggressive and that would definitely be an aggressive move to go for it all now. 

I'm torn on it personally... But I definitely wouldn't be upset if they do it. You aren't getting a premier pass rusher at 29 and you you're probably down to the 4th or 5th best CB prospect in the draft at that point. I'd love it if they could figure out a way to get it done keeping 29 but I don't see that happening, our picks are too low and I imagine someone would outbid us if we try to avoid giving up our first.

I am in the same boat with L'Jarius Sneed.  He is definitely an ascending CB after his first year as an outside CB.  The Lions don't have a CB1 or anything close to it.  That hole has to be filled if the Lions are going to move beyond the NFC Championship to the Super Bowl.  However, I am starting to think that the Lions could make that jump without signing L'Jarius Sneed.

A lot of folks talk about the high number of pressures by the defense but the disparity between pressures and sacks along with what is on film for 2023 tells me that the Lions D-Line were pretty bad at finishing plays.  They were kind of slow to generate pressure also.  I suspect Terrell Williams will help address that and take some pressure off the CBs.  My view on how they could do that without signing L'Jarius Sneed:

1.  Sign Dorance Armstrong Jr and Denico Autry to bolster the complimentary pass-rush positions.  Autry shouldn't cost too much due to his age.  Dorance Armstrong Jr could push Josh Pascal for the starting job.  

2.  Take advantage of the loaded safety market and find someone to bring consistency to the back-end of the defense such as Xavier McKinney, Gerald Fuller, Karmren Kurl or Justin Simmons.  Ifeatu Melifonwu needs to prove had can stay healthy and Kerby Joseph needs to prove he can do more than just play single-high safety.  We don't have any long-term answers at Safety.

3.  Pursue less expensive but still solid veteran CBs in Kendall Fuller, Chidobe Awuzie or Stephen Gilmore.  All of them would be solid short-term additions.  

4.  Lean into the draft.  We may be drafting at 29 but things are shaping up nicely for the Lions.  Koolaid Mckinstry is falling a bit due to his foot injury and not being able to answer questions about his long-speed but should be within striking distance in Round 1.  Same goes for Darius Robinson.  Marshawn Kneeland will be available in Round 2 but probably not at 62.  Unlike most years, there will be some surprisingly good CB prospects available in Rounds 2 and 3.  Kris Abrams-Draine, Max Melton, Cam Hart and TJ Tampa would all be good additions.  Based on all of the comp picks that were just awarded, the #93 pick at the end of the 3rd round became a lot more valuable with respect to bargaining power in potential trades.

Brad Holmes could make a move for L'Jarius Sneed but if he doesn't we can still improve enough to climb the mountain.

50 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Christian Wilkins rumors to Detroit gaining steam 

and Stephon Gilmore 

Signing Christian Wilkins would be a huge move for the Lions.  I was thinking the Lions want to figure what they have with some of the other D-Lineman now that they have Terrell Williams in the fold.  Gilmore would be a very shrewd signing.

3 hours ago, General Tso said:

I don't think it takes a first to get Sneed.

We probably don't have a high enough 2nd to get him either. So we'd probably have to give up our 2nd and a 3rd in exchange for maybe a 4th or 5th. 

2 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

Christian Wilkins rumors to Detroit gaining steam 

and Stephon Gilmore 

It doesn't appear that there is much weight to this rumour. Just people connecting teams that have a need at the position that COULD be in the mix. The Vikings connection with Flores seems more plausible. It also seems contradictory to what the Lions try to do with McNeill as he wants to play 3T which means he'd need a NT to pair up with. Wilkins doesn't quite fit that profile, even though he's a really good player. 

7 hours ago, General Tso said:

I don't think it takes a first to get Sneed.

For someone else maybe not but our second is too low, someone would likely beat the offer. With us picking so late in the rounds it either takes 29 or our 2nd+ additional picks. 

4 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

We probably don't have a high enough 2nd to get him either. So we'd probably have to give up our 2nd and a 3rd in exchange for maybe a 4th or 5th. 

It doesn't appear that there is much weight to this rumour. Just people connecting teams that have a need at the position that COULD be in the mix. The Vikings connection with Flores seems more plausible. It also seems contradictory to what the Lions try to do with McNeill as he wants to play 3T which means he'd need a NT to pair up with. Wilkins doesn't quite fit that profile, even though he's a really good player. 

Well there is a connection with Gilmore so weirder things have happened 

3 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

For someone else maybe not but our second is too low, someone would likely beat the offer. With us picking so late in the rounds it either takes 29 or our 2nd+ additional picks. 

Then let someone else pay a first for him, I'd say.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, General Tso said:

Then let someone else pay a first for him, I'd say.

Maybe but it's something to seriously consider.

What's better.... Drafting the 4th best CB or EDGE rusher in the draft and hoping they work out or just trading the pick for a player who is already proven at the NFL level? 

To me it all comes down to the money aspect... Do you want to spend that much money on the CB position or not. If you're comfortable investing the money in the position I say make the offer... Statistically speaking the chances of whoever you draft at 29 being as impactful as Sneed would be are pretty low and it's not like he's over the hill... He's 27. 

Plus the Lions just had a home run draft last year and have done very well overall in the Holmes era, law of averages will bite us soon enough on a draft pick.

Of course that's all assuming we're talking about pick 29... Holmes and Campbell are aggressive and if one of the top CBs or EDGE rushers falls a little I would not be surprised at all to see them trade up to get them (in fact I fully expect it).

1 hour ago, General Tso said:

Get on the phone Brad

Armstead was the player who tried to do a smear campaign against Dan Skipper calling him a racist and using racial slurs when they had never played each other. No thanks.