2024 Offseason Tracker

General Tso

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

So Darious Williams is going to be cut by the Jags and would be a solid fit here.  He was coached by Deshea Townsend last year and was found by Brad Holmes in LA back in 2018.  Has ties to the team, familiarity with coaches and production.  Being 31 should lead to a short deal but seems like he may be a better fit than Gilmore given he is a couple of years younger.  

5'9, 187 lbs

• 79.5 OVR
  • 29.9 RDEF
  • 85.3 COV (60.7 Man; 89.4 Zone)

LCB - 578 Snaps

RCB - 401 Snaps

SCB - 30 Snaps

SS - 2 Snaps

• Like 1

The good news for the Lions is that between the known free agents and the players being released there will be a decent amount of depth CBs as well as starter and depth Safeties.  Had to correct something.  Rasul Douglas was restructured but not released.  The Bills did release Jordan Poyer though.

Edited by Just Want A Title

5 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

The good news for the Lions is that between the known free agents and the players being released there will be a decent amount of depth CBs as well as starter and depth Safeties.  For example, Rasul Douglas was released by the Bills.

This makes me feel like we're less likely to address CB early in the draft. There's going to be a number of guys available that we should be able to plug in AND the guys who would be immediate starting options will be long gone by the time pick #29 comes up. 

We're going to get more value out of that pick by taking an Offensive Lineman or a defensive lineman (possibly an edge guy). I'd even consider WR here if the right guy was available.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

This makes me feel like we're less likely to address CB early in the draft. There's going to be a number of guys available that we should be able to plug in AND the guys who would be immediate starting options will be long gone by the time pick #29 comes up. 

We're going to get more value out of that pick by taking an Offensive Lineman or a defensive lineman (possibly an edge guy). I'd even consider WR here if the right guy was available.  

I misread the news.  Jordan Poyer was released.  Rasul Douglas was restructured.  I think the Lions will add multiple CBs.  The entire CB room other than Cam Sutton, Brian Branch and Steven Gilmore are basically being replaced.  Steven Gilmore isn't exactly a roster-lock.

11 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I think Kool-Aid McKinstry will be available at our pick with the injury and inability to work out.  Last year Brian Branch was a top 15 prospect and we got him in the mid second so you never know.  Also guys who are immediate helps can come from anywhere like Mekhi Blackmon last year and Tariq Woolen the year before.  A lot will depend on what we do in free agency before hand but we may also sign some DL and OL so we aren't forced into any pick. Holmes has said you draft on talent and not need and last year he did.  We drafted a RB while having Swift and Monty on the roster.  They draft looking for elite players no matter the position.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think Kool-Aid McKinstry will be available at our pick with the injury and inability to work out.  Last year Brian Branch was a top 15 prospect and we got him in the mid second so you never know.  Also guys who are immediate helps can come from anywhere like Mekhi Blackmon last year and Tariq Woolen the year before.  A lot will depend on what we do in free agency before hand but we may also sign some DL and OL so we aren't forced into any pick. Holmes has said you draft on talent and not need and last year he did.  We drafted a RB while having Swift and Monty on the roster.  They draft looking for elite players no matter the position.  

It is looking more probable for sure.  There were some questions about his long speed that he won't be able to answer due to the Jones fracture.  I think a lot of the negative stuff I have seen lately is due to the fact that they have been looking at him as a prospect for so long and they are grabbing any thread they can find to generate content.  The only concerns I have with him is that he has played a lot of zone-coverage and is very good at that.  Was there a difference, if any, in his performance in man/press-man coverage?  I am not a huge stat guy so I don't know where to find that information.  

58 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

It is looking more probably for sure.  There were some questions about his long speed that he won't be able to answer due to the Jones fracture.  I think a lot of the negative stuff I have seen lately is due to the fact that they have been looking at him as a prospect for so long and they are grabbing any thread they can find to generate content.  The only concerns I have with him is that he has played a lot of zone-coverage and is very good at that.  Was there a difference, if any, in his performance in man/press-man coverage?  I am not a huge stat guy so I don't know where to find that information.  

Per PFF, he graded 83.8 in zone coverage and 74.7 in man coverage.  He also had a 83 run defense grade.  So he seems to fit the type of CB we like in that he can play both man and zone and isn't afraid to tackle.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Per PFF, he graded 83.8 in zone coverage and 74.7 in man coverage.  He also had a 83 run defense grade.  So he seems to fit the type of CB we like in that he can play both man and zone and isn't afraid to tackle.  

The arc of his draft stock reminds me a little bit of Kyle Hamilton.  He ran a so-so 40-time and that caused him to fall.  The Ravens are gladly scooped him up.  Brian Branch went through a similar process.  Sometimes it seems draft analysts start seeing things that aren't really there when they have too much time to look at a prospect.

• Like 1

There are a ton of really good safeties on the free agent market this year.  Kamren Curl, Xavier McKinney and Jordan Fuller at at the top of the list for long-term solutions.  Justin Simmons, Kevin Byard and Jordan Poyer have been released by their respective teams so there are some really high-quality short-term options also.  The draft doesn't have a great group of safeties so upgrading through free agency makes more sense to me.

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

The arc of his draft stock reminds me a little bit of Kyle Hamilton.  He ran a so-so 40-time and that caused him to fall.  The Ravens are gladly scooped him up.  Brian Branch went through a similar process.  Sometimes it seems draft analysts start seeing things that aren't really there when they have too much time to look at a prospect.

I think its more that there are prospects moving up, and since they can't comp McKinstry, they drop him behind them.  It probably has more to do with risers than him falling but the result is the same.  Speed is overrated in the draft anyways so I am fine taking the slower player who has results.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Just Want A Title said:

There are a ton of really good safeties on the free agent market this year.  Kamren Curl, Xavier McKinney and Jordan Fuller at at the top of the list for long-term solutions.  Justin Simmons, Kevin Byard and Jordan Poyer have been released by their respective teams so there are some really high-quality short-term options also.  The draft doesn't have a great group of safeties so upgrading through free agency makes more sense to me.

Quandre Diggs also was released by the Hawks.  Not sure he is a huge upgrade but would be an upgrade to Walker as a rotational S.  

I do think the draft has some solid S targets just maybe not day 1 starters.   I also think a couple of CBs will move to S like Iffy did. 

22 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Quandre Diggs also was released by the Hawks.  Not sure he is a huge upgrade but would be an upgrade to Walker as a rotational S.  

I do think the draft has some solid S targets just maybe not day 1 starters.   I also think a couple of CBs will move to S like Iffy did. 

Cam Hart and Isaiah Johnson are the two most likely candidates to do this. 

• Like 1