Joe Alt is the key

famousj

We all know OL is the #1 need for the Jets.   The Jets have to be aggressive in addressing their OL needs.     At #10 the Jets can possibly the top #2 tackles in draft.   I would like the see the Jets trade up in the draft.    I think the best trade partner would be with the Chargers who hold the #5 pick.  Jets trade #10, #2025 1st round pick and 2024 4th round pick for the #5 pick.   Jets get the best OT in the draft who will be a top LT in the league for the next decade.    Lets go get that Superbowl we all want.

Edited by famousj

4 hours ago, famousj said:

We all know OL is the #1 need for the Jets.   The Jets have to be aggressive in addressing their OL needs.     At #10 the Jets can possibly the top #2 tackles in draft.   I would like the see the Jets trade up in the draft.    I think the best trade partner would be with the Chargers who hold the #5 pick.  Jets trade #10, #2025 1st round pick and 2024 4th round pick for the #5 pick.   Jets get the best OT in the draft who will be a top LT in the league for the next decade.    Lets go get that Superbowl we all want.

I get the enthusiasm but we don't need less draft choices but more.

If there was a “generational” OT (think Ogden, Trent Williams, etc), then yeah, trade up to get him. But Alt and Fashanu, as good as they are perceived, are really not worth trading up for. Is there that big of a difference between them and Fuaga?  More than likely JD will get a FA LT (apparently AR is uncomfortable with rookie LT’s). Whoever we draft will likely start at RT. Get a FA OG while still drafting one on day 3 and we should be OK. 

49 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Difference between Olu, Fauga, and Alt isn’t that big to be quite frank, all 3 are solid options and all 3 have Flaws

well, he is tall and lean.   Alt may edge over others due to enough evidence that he can line in a 3 point stance.   Fauga bends down low enough to make it looks like he is set in a 3pt stance. Fauga did play in a 3pt stance when TE was aligned to outside closer to him.  Olu played too tall in a 2pt stance.

I just hope whoever is drafted by Jets hires personal OL coach. lol.

2 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

well, he is tall and lean.   Alt may edge over others due to enough evidence that he can line in a 3 point stance.   Fauga bends down low enough to make it looks like he is set in a 3pt stance. Fauga did play in a 3pt stance when TE was aligned to outside closer to him.  Olu played too tall in a 2pt stance.

I just hope whoever is drafted by Jets hires personal OL coach. lol.

Alt bends at the waist a ton and struggles with balance, there definitely fixable and he’s worth a shot in the top 10 like the other 2, not really concerned about the 3 point stance stuff tbh it’s simple to get accustomed to. My concerns basically come down to

Olu: can he develop as a Run blocker, I see a guy that can be an elite pass blocker at the next level but he has struggled a bit with Run Blocking but has the tools to improve in that area

Fauga: can he transition to the Left side, can he become more consistent with his pass block technique, and can he keep up with speed rushers(He kind of reminds me a little of Early Becton with how raw he is)

Alt: Can he refine his technique? Bends at the waist a ton and struggles with balance at times. 

For me I’d probably rank them, Olu, Alt, then Fauga but all worth the shot

22 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

Yeah I’m good on completely forgoing this plan.

A single OT isn’t bringing this team a Super Bowl lol

That is for sure one player is not going to change things. After we get our first pick, we have to wait for 64 players to come of the draft board till we pick again. And we all know we don't have the money to get a top FA. And where are we going to get that second WR we need?

2 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Alt bends at the waist a ton and struggles with balance, there definitely fixable and he’s worth a shot in the top 10 like the other 2, not really concerned about the 3 point stance stuff tbh it’s simple to get accustomed to. My concerns basically come down to

Olu: can he develop as a Run blocker, I see a guy that can be an elite pass blocker at the next level but he has struggled a bit with Run Blocking but has the tools to improve in that area

Fauga: can he transition to the Left side, can he become more consistent with his pass block technique, and can he keep up with speed rushers(He kind of reminds me a little of Early Becton with how raw he is)

Alt: Can he refine his technique? Bends at the waist a ton and struggles with balance at times. 

For me I’d probably rank them, Olu, Alt, then Fauga but all worth the shot

Olu's run blocking may be aided by zone blocking scheme.  Pass protecting is number one primary right now as he can develop into better run blocker as experience is building up.

Agreed on the rest as they will answer to their own problems at next level.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ekill08x said:

we just need a starting piece. doesn't matter if it is right or left. a good quality player anywhere

And that is my concern with JD.  He may get an old vet for LT in FA.  He will then think that is all we need because he still foolishly has hope for Tomlinson.  He is also probably comfortable with Warren at RT.  This has been his MO since he got here and it has failed time and time again.

What he SHOULD do is get a FA LT that won't break the bank.  He can start because Lord AR will demand it.  Draft the FA LT's replacement at 10 and let him battle Warren for RT.  Get a FA OG and dump Tomlinson.  Draft an OG on Day 3 (I like the idea of drafting a QB in round 3). Get a good WR in FA that will know his role is the number 2 behind Wilson.  We can't go pissing off our best O player.

On 2/20/2024 at 11:02 AM, xrade said:

And that is my concern with JD.  He may get an old vet for LT in FA.  He will then think that is all we need because he still foolishly has hope for Tomlinson.  He is also probably comfortable with Warren at RT.  This has been his MO since he got here and it has failed time and time again.

What he SHOULD do is get a FA LT that won't break the bank.  He can start because Lord AR will demand it.  Draft the FA LT's replacement at 10 and let him battle Warren for RT.  Get a FA OG and dump Tomlinson.  Draft an OG on Day 3 (I like the idea of drafting a QB in round 3). Get a good WR in FA that will know his role is the number 2 behind Wilson.  We can't go pissing off our best O player.

Yeah, I am pretty much with all of this. For argument's sake, let's say we bring in Bakhtiari, draft Fashanu, draft a guard/center type beyond round 3 and sign someone like Darnell Mooney to play opposite G. Wilson.

I am still on the fence about Tomlinson. I know he has not played to expectations vis-a-vis the contract, and he comes from the 49ers so he should know the system better, but the Vera-Tucker's injury history is a factor here. If you could guarantee that we can upgrade at guard and not lose Tomlinson's durability and availability, sign me up. But offensive line continuity is very important in the NFL. It is even crucial to team success. Plus, what are the cap implications if we release Tomlinson? Does it make sense? Obviously, dumping Carl Lawson and Zach Wilson makes sense, but Tomlinson? Again, I am on the fence on that one.

4 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I am still on the fence about Tomlinson. I know he has not played to expectations vis-a-vis the contract

Forget the contract, he has not played well and will continue to be a weak link regardless what we do at LT. He stunk in Detroit and only looked better playing in SF because he played next to a future HoF LT.

If you could guarantee that we can upgrade at guard and not lose Tomlinson's durability and availability, sign me up

Durability is great if he could be a benefit on the OL. Sadly, his durability is a hindrance. Not that I wish any ill will upon him. But he would serve the Jets better not being on the field at all. 

Plus, what are the cap implications if we release Tomlinson?

$8M savings, $10M dead money. Not ideal but we still save $8M. Forget post June 1 since we will need the savings before that.

On 2/18/2024 at 10:46 AM, Dr.O said:

Difference between Olu, Fauga, and Alt isn’t that big to be quite frank, all 3 are solid options and all 3 have Flaws

I think one of these guys will be there. You know 3 of the first 5 picks will be a QB, then you add Harrison that only leaves 6 spots left No way all 3 will be gone by then. You have teams going up abd down the board. Heck you might have a few edge guys go in top 10 too. I would move Huff if they got a good offer like a second round pick this year to even out Rodgers trade.