Is Taysom Hill a valuable player?

General Tso

I'd say no if we're talking about the contract. That's ludicrous. 

On the field? Yes. He can play enough positions just well enough to give a defense pause. The additional depth that causes helps, too. He's sort of position-less, but he can play some ball. And we can talk all day about how he's not a good QB- doesn't matter since pro DCs still have trouble when the Saints run RPO with him. 

Is he an every down player? No way. Is he functional enough to be a consistent piece of the offense and special teams in ways that cause wrinkles to the scheme while causing some confusion on defense? Undeniable, in my opinion. 

On 2/22/2024 at 8:27 AM, tyler735 said:

Looks like it’s that time of year again. We “won’t be able to sign any good free agents”, “we’re going to lose all our good players”, “there’s no way we get out of this cap situation” 

***checks notes*** We already signed and replaced our biggest weakness on the team at Offensive Coordinator. 

***grabs popcorn***

Well that’s pretty neat. Saints down to about $40 million to get cap compliant again. Should be their easiest offseason in several years to get cap compliant.

Edited by tyler735

Hill isn't worth the contract he has but the Saints seem to be stuck. IMO they should bit the bullet and start clearing bad contracts. But they're in a weak division so hope remains for the playoffs. I'll bet the Falcons get there before the Saints though. 

19 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Hill isn't worth the contract he has but the Saints seem to be stuck. IMO they should bit the bullet and start clearing bad contracts. But they're in a weak division so hope remains for the playoffs. I'll bet the Falcons get there before the Saints though. 

They can't. Anyone they could try to cut costs them money. Their only way to save money is to keep restructuring and extending guys. They needed to do this a few years back. Now it's too late.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

They can't. Anyone they could try to cut costs them money. Their only way to save money is to keep restructuring and extending guys. They needed to do this a few years back. Now it's too late.

They can't become cap compliant this year only through cuts but they certainly can make cuts and get rid of some bad contracts like Hill's. As you note they will have to do some restructures but they can dig themselves out of the hole over the course of a couple of years. 

On 2/23/2024 at 12:17 PM, tyler735 said:

Well that’s pretty neat. Saints down to about $40 million to get cap compliant again. Should be their easiest offseason in several years to get cap compliant.

*ONLY* $40 million!?

xrd-exrd.gif

15 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

They're about 42 mil over the new cap after restructuring Carr. If they think Ramczyk is done and make him a June 2nd cut, that saves them 17 mil. Kamara would get them another 11.6. 

So that's still $13mm over - plus, you need to find a new T, unless you tho Trevor Penning is going to actually figure out how to play football. 

Who else? It's still a mess.

22 minutes ago, ET80 said:

So that's still $13mm over - plus, you need to find a new T, unless you tho Trevor Penning is going to actually figure out how to play football. 

Who else? It's still a mess.

June 1st cut also, while lessening the cap hit this year, means they would still be paying for those guys in dead cap next year. Kick the can.

• Like 1

I mean, that whole Taysom Hill contract was kind of a joke from the moment it happened.  They're doing some weird stuff with it that makes it less horrific than it looks, but it's also still just completely insane.

It's the turd Payton left in the bowl on the way out basically.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

June 1st cut also, while lessening the cap hit this year, means they would still be paying for those guys in dead cap next year. Kick the can.

Yes, it will take at least the 2024 and 2025 seasons to get out of cap hell. Besides being expensive, their roster is aging and not highly talented. Maybe they get the top pick in 2026 and can use it on Arch Manning if he's in that draft. I'd think he's more likely to be in 2027 though. 

13 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I mean, that whole Taysom Hill contract was kind of a joke from the moment it happened.  They're doing some weird stuff with it that makes it less horrific than it looks, but it's also still just completely insane.

It's the turd Payton left in the bowl on the way out basically.

Yeah, it's too bad they can't trade Hill to the Broncos for a 7th rounder or something like that. Denver will be in no position to take on unnecessary cap hits after they cut Russ.

On 2/21/2024 at 6:08 PM, General Tso said:

I could be wrong, but I believe if it's really dire, they would be fined a draft pick, maybe even a first. But if they're willing to eat it for a year, that might be worth it.

Does anyone know what the actual penalty is?  

If the penalty isn't super harsh, I could see a team just taking a 2 year reset penalty, then come back with a healthy cap and probably some pretty good draft picks after the punishment.

It is deceptive, he does not get paid more than Kelce or McCaffrey and Hill only gets $10 mil a year on his 4 year $40 million contract.  Cap hit, who cares he is not paid what McCaffrey and Kelce are paid.

Is he worth that much though, probably because when he signed that deal the Saints did not have Derek Carr so QB was a question and he clearly is a RB threat and a WR threat as well as a backup QB.  WRs that make around $10 mil a year Brandin Cooks, Tyler Boyd, Russell Gage, JuJu Smith-Schuster and Marquez Valdes-Scantling.  I would say Hill is around those guys in terms of production combining rushing and receiving yards.  

It is deceptive language though referencing cap hit as if Hill gets paid the same as Kelce or McCaffrey which he does not.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Does anyone know what the actual penalty is?  

If the penalty isn't super harsh, I could see a team just taking a 2 year reset penalty, then come back with a healthy cap and probably some pretty good draft picks after the punishment.

From article 14 of the CBA

Clubs. In the event that the System Arbitrator finds a violation of Subsec-
tion 1(a) of this Article, for each such violation, the Commissioner shall be authorized to: 
(i) impose a fine of up to $6,500,000, payable to the NFL, upon any Club found to have 
committed such violation; (ii) order the forfeiture of up to a maximum of two draft choices 
(without limitation as to round) by the Club found to have committed such violation; (iii) 
impose a fine of up to $500,000 on any Club executive or other Club personnel found to 
have committed such violation; and/or (iv) suspend for up to one year any Club executive 
or other Club personnel found to have committed such violation. In the event that the 
System Arbitrator finds a violation of Subsection 1(b) of this Article, for each such viola-
tion, the System Arbitrator may: (i) impose a fine of up to $6,500,000, payable to the NFL, 
upon any Club found to have committed such violation; and (ii) impose a fine of up to 
$500,000 on any Club executive or other Club personnel found to have committed such 
violation. In addition, in the event that the System Arbitrator finds a violation of Subsec-
tion 1(b) of this Article, for each such violation, the Commissioner (i) shall be authorized 
to order the forfeiture of up to a maximum of two Draft choices (without limitation as to 
round) by the Club found to have committed such violation; and (ii) shall, unless the par-
ties agree otherwise, suspend for up to one year any Club executive or other Club 
personnel found to have committed such violation.

In short.. for each violation there's a fine for the team of up to 6.5m plus penalty of up to any 2 draft picks, along with fines and suspensions for any person involved

• Like 1