***SPOILERS*** Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi SPOILER Thread

Deadpulse

20 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

I'm still trying to find what was enjoyable about this movie.

Luke, Rey, Kylo, Poe having to grow up and be an adult, the Holdo Maneuver, Kylo offing Snoke, the Throne Room fight, Luke’s masterful trolling of Kylo, frickin’ puppet Yoda. So so much about this movie was great.

13 minutes ago, fretgod99 said:

Luke, Rey, Kylo, Poe having to grow up and be an adult, the Holdo Maneuver, Kylo offing Snoke, the Throne Room fight, Luke’s masterful trolling of Kylo, frickin’ puppet Yoda. So so much about this movie was great.

LOTJ Luke = finds hope and belief that Vader, the Dark Lord of the Sith, can be turned

TLJ Luke = has a vision or whatever regarding Kylo and immediately jumps to killing him. 

¬¬

Holdo lying about her "secret plan" for no real reason which leads to a dumb side-mission which is painful to watch. And why was her method never used on say...the Death Star? 

Space Leia was garbage. Anything involving Rey was garbage. The entire "Force projection" thing, also garbage. 

3 hours ago, fretgod99 said:

Have to agree to disagree. 

I would have preferred them displaying Ren's growing power by having Rey injured by Snoke and him taking on the Red Guard alone possibly being a bit injured by Snoke too with a dying last stab of vengeance at Ren. I think it would have gave that scene some RAW emotion and some much needed clarity. I mean if Rey is every bit as good as they make her out to be that fight should have been over before those guards even ignited their laser sticks with both Ren and her fully healthy. Tera Kasi masters or not. They should have presented no threat against 2 force users that powerful and that skilled. 

Jmpo. 

4 hours ago, Desperado82 said:

LOTJ Luke = finds hope and belief that Vader, the Dark Lord of the Sith, can be turned

TLJ Luke = has a vision or whatever regarding Kylo and immediately jumps to killing him. 

¬¬

Holdo lying about her "secret plan" for no real reason which leads to a dumb side-mission which is painful to watch. And why was her method never used on say...the Death Star? 

Space Leia was garbage. Anything involving Rey was garbage. The entire "Force projection" thing, also garbage. 

You’re a sad, sad man, Des.

23 hours ago, OleXmad said:

It's not the prequels and it has some of the best performances in star wars by Mark Hamil, Carrie Fischer and a hell of an arc for Kylo Ren. 

Plus it's Carrie Fischer's last performance and she's phenomenal so that probably raises it for some people. 

I get the Rose and Canto Bight stuff complaints from most people, but I don't get how people dislike how they dealt with Carrie Fischer and Luke's characters.  

I agree but you cant watch this movie as a standalone but as part of a trilogy which it woefully fails at continuing Abrams first iteration. 

Not that TFA was some masterpiece but it setup a lot of great material to work with and none of it gets fulfilled in the sequel. 

1. Snokes huge setup as a big baddy is totally spoiled. 

2. They refer to the resistance as rebels which isn't true. 

3. Knights of Ren? 

4. Reys parents. 

5. Captain Phasma who?

6. Kylos seemingly religion revolving around Vader. 

That's just the stuff off the top of my head. 

In the end it feels like the director read a summary of star wars and wrote a poorly constructed fan fiction than a direct sequel.

The performances were mostly great but the overall product was lacking. 

16 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I agree but you cant watch this movie as a standalone but as part of a trilogy which it woefully fails at continuing Abrams first iteration. 

Not that TFA was some masterpiece but it setup a lot of great material to work with and none of it gets fulfilled in the sequel. 

1. Snokes huge setup as a big baddy is totally spoiled. 

2. They refer to the resistance as rebels which isn't true. 

3. Knights of Ren? 

4. Reys parents. 

5. Captain Phasma who?

6. Kylos seemingly religion revolving around Vader. 

That's just the stuff off the top of my head. 

In the end it feels like the director read a summary of star wars and wrote a poorly constructed fan fiction than a direct sequel.

The performances were mostly great but the overall product was lacking. 

I'll try to answer/counter this but take it with a grain of red salt. 

It's the second part of a trilogy so it has a lot of big reveals/questions to answer and I think it did quite well despite some obvious issues (Canto Bight, Phasma, Knights of ren being dropped etc.) 

1. Snoke was a placeholder villain with no substance the story got rid of because he wasn't important. (He should've been fleshed out a bit more but Disney has basically let the books/comics do that so eh?) 

2. They have been fighting against the first order since Leia started it so....it is true. 

3. Dropped plot thread, no excuses here. Doubt episode 9 touches it other than "I have outgrown the knights of ren" or something from Kylo. 

4. Rey's Parentage was always going to be a difficult thing to handle, but the main theme of TLJ was basically anyone can be a hero. Making Rey's parents nobodies helps fit that theme and it's a fine choice to go with. Would've been cool if she was Palpatine's granddaughter or something but eh.

5. Captain Phasma got screwed over no denying that. Pretty sure she's dead so....whoops? at least star wars is consistent with screwing over cool looking characters I guess? 

6. Kylo doesn't have a religion that I'm aware of (Can't remember if he's stated he's sith or not) he just wants to up live to his lineage? Which really brings up the question of why Anakin's force ghost hasn't slapped Kylo Ren around at this point.

Eh like all star wars movies it has it's flaws but the highlights of it outweigh the negatives to me. 

18 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

I'll try to answer/counter this but take it with a grain of red salt. 

It's the second part of a trilogy so it has a lot of big reveals/questions to answer and I think it did quite well despite some obvious issues (Canto Bight, Phasma, Knights of ren being dropped etc.) 

1. Snoke was a placeholder villain with no substance the story got rid of because he wasn't important. (He should've been fleshed out a bit more but Disney has basically let the books/comics do that so eh?

2. They have been fighting against the first order since Leia started it so....it is true. 

3. Dropped plot thread, no excuses here. Doubt episode 9 touches it other than "I have outgrown the knights of ren" or something from Kylo. 

4. Rey's Parentage was always going to be a difficult thing to handle, but the main theme of TLJ was basically anyone can be a hero. Making Rey's parents nobodies helps fit that theme and it's a fine choice to go with. Would've been cool if she was Palpatine's granddaughter or something but eh.

5. Captain Phasma got screwed over no denying that. Pretty sure she's dead so....whoops? at least star wars is consistent with screwing over cool looking characters I guess? 

6. Kylo doesn't have a religion that I'm aware of (Can't remember if he's stated he's sith or not) he just wants to up live to his lineage? Which really brings up the question of why Anakin's force ghost hasn't slapped Kylo Ren around at this point.

Eh like all star wars movies it has it's flaws but the highlights of it outweigh the negatives to me. 

I'm beyond arguing the movie at this point but I do not find this to be a legitimate answer at all.

55 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

1. Snoke was a placeholder villain with no substance the story got rid of because he wasn't important. (He should've been fleshed out a bit more but Disney has basically let the books/comics do that so eh?) 

That's not good enough no where near when he was such a big mysterious presence in TFA.

The First Order wasn't in charge. The republic was which makes Leia the resistance not the rebels. They are not rebelling against The First Order like they were against the empire there resisting. Something Abrams was very careful of in TFA if you rewatch it and TLJ just didn't. It seems like the director didn't even watch TFA but the originals only.

I actually enjoy that they are nobodies. Being some famous persons grandkid or something is kind of too cliche. That being said it still would be interesting to see what kind of people they were to make such a strong daughter. 

6. Kylo doesn't have a religion that I'm aware 

I didn't mean it literally but he idolized and worshipped Vader almost like a god. Any mention of Vader was gone in the sequel. 

10 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

That's not good enough no where near when he was such a big mysterious presence in TFA.

The First Order wasn't in charge. The republic was which makes Leia the resistance not the rebels. They are not rebelling against The First Order like they were against the empire there resisting. Something Abrams was very careful of in TFA if you rewatch it and TLJ just didn't. It seems like the director didn't even watch TFA but the originals only.

I actually enjoy that they are nobodies. Being some famous persons grandkid or something is kind of too cliche. That being said it still would be interesting to see what kind of people they were to make such a strong daughter. 

I didn't mean it literally but he idolized and worshipped Vader almost like a god. Any mention of Vader was gone in the sequel. 

Fair enough, snoke's mysteriousness is something it didn't address at all/well enough. I still don't get the fascination with snoke though.

After looking into this a bit more....I'm very confused on why they are calling themselves rebels. Leia maybe? I have no idea. I'm pretty sure the clash in story is a result of RIan Johnson writing TLJ around the same time as TFA. 

Eh we'll eventually get a prequel trilogy about Rey's parents Half Joking  It was probably left ambiguous for episode 9 to build on though. 

He evolved as a character, other than that no idea why it wasn't a focus of the movie. You'd figure Anakin's force ghost would talk to him but that would be too easy. 

I love how Snoke is not an important character except for the fact he is the reason the Galaxy is the way it is. I can't believe people completely ignore this. Vader wouldn't be half as interesting as he was if he just stayed the mysterious figure in black and then was just offed. Same with Palpatine orginizing the entire war to begin with. They actually had interesting histories.

All we get Ren who people say is an amazing character because of tantrums or something. But they still have barely scratched the surface of the character. Basically two wasted characters up until now. Still waiting to see what Abrams can do. But if Kennedy still has say and Abrams is every bit the tool he sounds like in interviews we won't get it. The only thing we will get is more of the same "fight against oppresive white males because their all evil" propaganda.

Archived