Free agent Frenzy 2024!!

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Good for him but no way do I pay White that money. 

I would assume it has injury protection built in. It will be interesting to see the details when they are released.

• Like 1

I liked Antonio Gibson before, but this new kick return rule makes him a real weapon on special teams. Too bad the 49ers missed out, hopefully they can find that guy in the draft 

Sounds like he tested the waters in Buffalo/SF, didn't like what he heard, and now will probably settle for that prove it deal and hit the market again next year 

Edited by adamq

1 hour ago, adamq said:

Sounds like he tested the waters in Buffalo/SF, didn't like what he heard, and now will probably settle for that prove it deal and hit the market again next year 

Lynch himself said he told Blackmon his starting spot would not be guaranteed and obviously he was not going to be happy to hear that. I still like Diggs if we go with a safety. This position is quickly becoming the RB position on the defensive side of the ball. Sad. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Lynch himself said he told Blackmon his starting spot would not be guaranteed and obviously he was not going to be happy to hear that. I still like Diggs if we go with a safety. This position is quickly becoming the RB position on the defensive side of the ball. Sad. 

I feel like if we don't draft a safety and we don't sign a FA safety shortly after the draft, then we'll bring Gibson back this summer for another year. 

Lynch said they've been keeping in touch. I bet Gibson is the fall-back plan if we miss out on their top targets. 

I'd love to grab Javon Bullard in the second round this year. I think he's as close to Jimmie Ward as anyone in this draft and they seem to want that role back on the team.

Just sign random, "guy who could be okay at safety if pressed into starting action" at this juncture, tbh. Even still there are guys on the free agent market that I think if you sign as a third safety and ended up having to start for half the season you could be just fine with. 

I have no real interest in drafting a safety relatively high. Their market has completely cratered and I don't believe there is much value in it. The proliferation of two high sets again and less need for true centerfielder capable earl thomas players has pushed them far closer together in a general sense

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I feel like if we don't draft a safety and we don't sign a FA safety shortly after the draft, then we'll bring Gibson back this summer for another year. 

Lynch said they've been keeping in touch. I bet Gibson is the fall-back plan if we miss out on their top targets. 

I'd love to grab Javon Bullard in the second round this year. I think he's as close to Jimmie Ward as anyone in this draft and they seem to want that role back on the team.

Weirdness of the day award goes to Brandon Staley and Jimmy Ward.  After 9 years of playing Ward slightly out of position, all over the field, he leaves.  Then after one year, we get a DC that uses a guy who does the exact things Ward did in college.  We finally have a scheme that lines up with Jimmy Ward, a year after he got frustrated and left. 

I feel like our secondary is missing a dude.  

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420

22 minutes ago, Forge said:

Just sign random, "guy who could be okay at safety if pressed into starting action" at this juncture, tbh. Even still there are guys on the free agent market that I think if you sign as a third safety and ended up having to start for half the season you could be just fine with. 

I have no real interest in drafting a safety relatively high. Their market has completely cratered and I don't believe there is much value in it. The proliferation of two high sets again and less need for true centerfielder capable earl thomas players has pushed them far closer together in a general sense

I'd be more interested in a Sanristil / Bullard / Melton type of a DB that can play the nickel role and play a little safety as well. Essentially a Jimmy Ward. 

11 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I'd be more interested in a Sanristil / Bullard / Melton type of a DB that can play the nickel role and play a little safety as well. Essentially a Jimmy Ward. 

I think Lenior gives us flexibility to add the best possible corner.  He is good enough to play nickel if needed.  He can kick outside if Staley uses a safety there.  I feel better at safety than corner. 

I do agree that a Jimmy Ward type would be ideal.  It is not the positional flexibility that Jimmy Ward had that the team needs, but rather a nickel back who can play close to the line, support the run, and be able to get back in a deep zone when needed.  Having a guy who can play both the shallow and deep zones makes the defense more multiple and gives Staley his security blanket.   I don't think we will see a lot of man coverage next year, but I haven't looked into the stats for Staley. 

Lenior should be outside because he will last longer and get paid more.  It's better for both parties in the long run.   

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Agreed, especially because our GM is a HOF safety who clearly has an eye for the position. 

I don't really get the point of letting Huff walk to only give up a pick for Reddick and then having to give him a big deal? I guess they will get a comp pick for Huff so that is a wash in a sense but Reddick is older and likely to be more expensive. Head scratching move by the Jets. 

32 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't really get the point of letting Huff walk to only give up a pick for Reddick and then having to give him a big deal? I guess they will get a comp pick for Huff so that is a wash in a sense but Reddick is older and likely to be more expensive. Head scratching move by the Jets. 

I don’t think they are going to give him a contract. I think it’s just a one year deal. Jets will get a comp pick once Reddick hits the market nxt year. 

**I’ll take it back, some beat writers are now saying he will get a contract extension. I was trying to look for the article stating he will play on the last year and the Jets would receive a comp pick next year when he would go via FA, but couldn’t find it 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by StevenK

4 hours ago, StevenK said:

I don’t think they are going to give him a contract. I think it’s just a one year deal. Jets will get a comp pick once Reddick hits the market nxt year. 

**I’ll take it back, some beat writers are now saying he will get a contract extension. I was trying to look for the article stating he will play on the last year and the Jets would receive a comp pick next year when he would go via FA, but couldn’t find it 🤷🏻‍♂️

That would be a smart way to play it, if they don't work something out. Let him ball out and all it costs you is the drop from that 26 2nd to the 26 comp 3rd.. or even manipulate his play time & only drop in that 3rd round