Free Agency 2024 Thread!!

textaz03

59 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

lol

So 4 million a year was too rich for their blood for a versatile veteran? That isn't very reassuring at that they are thinking of at the position.

Now I personally wouldnt have been a fan of going into the season with Moss the main man atop the depth chart. While he fits the blocking style and the run design, I'm not sold on his ability to be a featured runner. And while 8 mil/2 years doesn't exactly lock him into that role, it IS a bit pricey for a player who may be better off in a two or three player rotation.

Well,.not that the contract is outright a bit pricey for a player like that, but when you consider they're still on the hook for 6mil with Zeke this year... And if you still need to think of nother payout or draft pick investment to add player into the rotation with Moss, well, for that matter, with that combined cap hit you may as well throw a.larger payday at a more secure featured runner. Or keep looking for cheaper options.

still, makes one wonder w.t.f. Jerry meant by all in then...

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

lol

“All in”, except for a below market salary offer, because even that “extended past their comfort point”. These frauds can’t be taken seriously. They’ve lied to our fan base for decades, and it gets worse by the year. It’s almost laughable.

I can hardly wait until it’s announced that Jerry is on hospice.

4 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

So 4 million a year was too rich for their blood for a versatile veteran? That isn't very reassuring at that they are thinking of at the position.

Now I personally wouldnt have been a fan of going into the season with Moss the main man atop the depth chart. While he fits the blocking style and the run design, I'm not sold on his ability to be a featured runner. And while 8 mil/2 years doesn't exactly lock him into that role, it IS a bit pricey for a player who may be better off in a two or three player rotation.

Well,.not that the contract is outright a bit pricey for a player like that, but when you consider they're still on the hook for 6mil with Zeke this year... And if you still need to think of nother payout or draft pick investment to add player into the rotation with Moss, well, for that matter, with that combined cap hit you may as well throw a.larger payday at a more secure featured runner. Or keep looking for cheaper options.

He doesn’t mean anything at all. He’s just talking out of his arse in the hope that people will keep buying his nonsense and lies.

9 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

If we're giving Jerry the benefit of the doubt that he actually was divulging something about their 2024 strategy, then I think what he meant was this: They're "all in" on Dak and McCarthy for 2024. Neither is operating with extensions, neither is going to have their surroundings meaningfully improved. Both are on thin ice.

I don't know if I buy this either as not extending Dak would go completely against their SOP. But I guess threatening to have him play out his walk year creates some sort of tension at least.

Edited by matt79511

3 hours ago, matt79511 said:

If we're giving Jerry the benefit of the doubt that he actually was divulging something about their 2024 strategy, then I think what he meant was this: They're "all in" on Dak and McCarthy for 2024. Neither is operating with extensions, neither is going to have their surroundings meaningfully improved. Both are on thin ice.

I don't know if I buy this either as not extending Dak would go completely against their SOP. But I guess threatening to have him play out his walk year creates some sort of tension at least.

Idk… this is setting both of them up for failure.  Dak would have 2 new OL and a new RB.  He’d honestly be better off trying to trade Dak rather than seek further confirmation that Dak is limited and not worth a huge contract.

• Like 1

To really believe Jerry when he talks is crazy. I get some people are upset with not doing anything but listening to him back peddle recently about his “all in” comments should have redirected focus to our usual offseason moves if we can even make any at this point. Frustrating to see teams on paper better themselves within the division but most if not all the moves I’ve saw yesterday were a bit rich and almost never return investment. Zeke absolutely ruined our thoughts on paying RBs and that’s how it should be. I would draft before I added any of these guys with there history. 

7 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

Idk… this is setting both of them up for failure.  Dak would have 2 new OL and a new RB.  He’d honestly be better off trying to trade Dak rather than seek further confirmation that Dak is limited and not worth a huge contract.

I didn't say it was the soundest or brightest strategy, but it is more or less how they handled 2019 with Dak and Garrett on expiring deals. If Jerry was truly trying to say anything other than nonsense, do anything but gaslight the fans, I do think he meant "all in for one more year with this core of players and coaches."

3 minutes ago, Northland said:

What's the over/under on reaching for a RB in round 1?

Take the under. We'll go o-line (OT or C) in Round 1, unless a stud WR falls, in my opinion. There shouldn't be a RB taken until round 2 at the earliest. Most of them are 3rd-4th round guys.

• Like 1

What now at running back with Tony Pollard gone? “We are looking at any player that can improve us in range that we can afford. We have talked to any guy who has called and listened to what their wishes or ranges are” per one source

https://x.com/slaternfl/status/1767564332991213630?s=46&t=ktd6JTByZwOAf6VhdnN4wg

good lord!! This tells me they have no inclination of improving this team outside of the Draft and undrafted free agents

1 minute ago, textaz03 said:

What now at running back with Tony Pollard gone? “We are looking at any player that can improve us in range that we can afford. We have talked to any guy who has called and listened to what their wishes or ranges are” per one source

https://x.com/slaternfl/status/1767564332991213630?s=46&t=ktd6JTByZwOAf6VhdnN4wg

good lord!! This tells me they have no inclination of improving this team outside of the Draft and undrafted free agents

I think Joe Mixon as a rotational power back would be decent.  Not the guy you want in on 3rd and long, but for $2-3m/yr wouldn't be a bad way to go

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

You can't be surprised. This team lies to its fanbase all the time and has for years. Stephen is a tightwad and won't spend a dime, which hurts the team. Sure, you don't want to massively overpay for a player, but you also don't want to knuckle down and do nothing and become completely reliant on hitting on every pick in the draft, because that's completely unrealistic. And, in the case of RB, it's unreasonable to think that Deuce Vaughn is a #2 RB. He isn't, so we'll be staring at needing TWO RBs in the draft rather than just one; in a draft that's very weak at the position, and without a 4th round pick.

The smart approach is to slightly "overpay" for Derrick Henry for a year or two, draft a RB this year in the 3rd or 5th round, and then focus on drafting another one next year.

Edited by plan9misfit

6 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

I think Joe Mixon as a rotational power back would be decent.  Not the guy you want in on 3rd and long, but for $2-3m/yr wouldn't be a bad way to go

Mixon or Henry on a 2-year deal, plus a mid-round pick would be good enough for me.

And, @MaddHatter, thank you for mentioning Joe Mixon. I completely forgot that he was on the market.

Edited by plan9misfit