Free Agency 2024 Thread!!

textaz03

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

We have Dak. That’s why you pay the leagues best player $60M because with him you don’t need anyone else. 

I look at it a little differently. The Cowboys have no cap room because of Jerry and cap boy’s inability to work the cap. Bad contracts and constant restructures have put them in this situation.

They will still be paying Zeke 6 million for the 2024 season. Insane. 

I have to say I’m disappointed that we didn’t get Henry at that price.  Without a threat of a run game, Dak is going to get seriously exposed this year.  Holes on the OL and RB = 2022 Dak or worse.  I wonder if this is Jerry’s way of driving down his market value for 2025?  Or, forcing Dak to waive his no trade clause?  If so, Jerry should be on phone with Dan Quinn right now for #2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony7188 said:

I look at it a little differently. The Cowboys have no cap room because of Jerry and cap boy’s inability to work the cap. Bad contracts and constant restructures have put them in this situation.

They will still be paying Zeke 6 million for the 2024 season. Insane. 

Jerry knows how to work the cap.  This year is different.  The best ways to open cap space involves extending players in their 30s in the final year of their contracts.  On top of that, he’s got 2 studs who will need to be extended.  Those 2 things are difficult with the cap.

I see this as the organization prepping to move on from Dak and Martin unless they prove they are worth the cost.  Otherwise, I think we will see some big changes in 2025.  We can easily afford Lamb and Parsons if we are paying Lance (or whoever) as the QB as opposed to Dak.

I'm not surprised at Dallas' lack of activity so far.  Diving in early after big game isn't what Jerry does.  Look for the players who are coming off injuries.  Look for the guys whose play is in decline but who Jerry and staff feel a change of scenery will see said players recapture old form.  Regardless we are all in.  For what I can't explain, but we are all in.

• Like 1

The staff might be planning to select a RB or two in the draft, which is a fine strategy in today's NFL. Sure this draft doesn't have a standout prospect at the position, but, as many teams, including the Chiefs, have shown, finding a productive RB later in the draft is probable. If the Boys can trade back a couple of times to land some more picks, grabbing Estime in the 2nd round, Lloyd in the 3rd/4th round, and/or Bailey in the mid-rounds would be fine.   

idk how I'm so dumb. Every year I expect us to be active in improving the team via free agency, and every year I'm disappointed. The Eagles already made three huge signings. Brought on Saquon, CGJ and Huff. Also shopping two of their players in trade deals. How do we always sit by and do nothing while our division rival is seemingly every year so aggressive in FA? It makes zero sense. We could've signed Henry but a 9m was "too expensive" ????

It really feels like we're content with perennial first round exits in the playoffs. In no way, shape or form is this "all-in."

6 minutes ago, TheStarStillShines said:

The staff might be planning to select a RB or two in the draft, which is a fine strategy in today's NFL. Sure this draft doesn't have a standout prospect at the position, but, as many teams, including the Chiefs, have shown, finding a productive RB later in the draft is probable. If the Boys can trade back a couple of times to land some more picks, grabbing Estime in the 2nd round, Lloyd in the 3rd/4th round, and/or Bailey in the mid-rounds would be fine.   

Like… Deuce Vaughn?

50 minutes ago, elevators_rule said:

idk how I'm so dumb. Every year I expect us to be active in improving the team via free agency, and every year I'm disappointed. The Eagles already made three huge signings. Brought on Saquon, CGJ and Huff. Also shopping two of their players in trade deals. How do we always sit by and do nothing while our division rival is seemingly every year so aggressive in FA? It makes zero sense. We could've signed Henry but a 9m was "too expensive" ????

It really feels like we're content with perennial first round exits in the playoffs. In no way, shape or form is this "all-in."

We all held out varying degrees of hope that Jerry really meant something when he said we were all in.  Then reality hits.  Don't feel bad. I think one has to take all the talk/coverage/hype that comes out of Dallas with a big grain of salt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Slamman said:

Jerry knows how to work the cap.  This year is different.  The best ways to open cap space involves extending players in their 30s in the final year of their contracts.  On top of that, he’s got 2 studs who will need to be extended.  Those 2 things are difficult with the cap.

I see this as the organization prepping to move on from Dak and Martin unless they prove they are worth the cost.  Otherwise, I think we will see some big changes in 2025.  We can easily afford Lamb and Parsons if we are paying Lance (or whoever) as the QB as opposed to Dak.

The Eagles find a way every year to get players in FA to try to take them over the top. The Giants gave their QB the same deal Dallas gave Dak. Yet they can still trade for a stud pass rusher and be active in FA.

Michael Gallup should’ve cut before FA even started so they can get cap space to sign some players. Instead, Jerry Jones and cap boy are holding onto Gallup like he’s Terrell Owens in his prime. 

I wouldn’t put it past this F.O. to watch the majority of players sign with other teams in FA, then turn around and re-sign Dak Prescott. Essentially screwing up Dallas chances to be competitive again. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

The Eagles find a way every year to get players in FA to try to take them over the top. The Giants gave their QB the same deal Dallas gave Dak. Yet they can still trade for a stud pass rusher and be active in FA.

Michael Gallup should’ve cut before FA even started so they can get cap space to sign some players. Instead, Jerry Jones and cap boy are holding onto Gallup like he’s Terrell Owens in his prime. 

I wouldn’t put it past this F.O. to watch the majority of players sign with other teams in FA, then turn around and re-sign Dak Prescott. Essentially screwing up Dallas chances to be competitive again. 

there's no doubt in my mind Dak is going to get a ~47-50m a year contract after the initial free agency rush

1 hour ago, The_Slamman said:

I have to say I’m disappointed that we didn’t get Henry at that price.  Without a threat of a run game, Dak is going to get seriously exposed this year.  Holes on the OL and RB = 2022 Dak or worse.  I wonder if this is Jerry’s way of driving down his market value for 2025?  Or, forcing Dak to waive his no trade clause?  If so, Jerry should be on phone with Dan Quinn right now for #2.

I wouldn’t be surprised if either and/or both are true. The best scenario would be for Dak to waive the no-trade clause and allow us to get picks for him.