Raiders sign Christian Wilkins - 4 yr / $110M (85M GTD)

2 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Wilkins is a beast and interior pressure is a major area of need but damn that is a lot of cash.  He needs to consistently register double digit sacks for this to prove to be good value.  He is a heck of a player though and was a major reason the Phins had a legit D.    

It's no doubt a ton of money. However DT is a vital position in today's NFL. If you do not have any interior pressure your D will likely be dead in the water. Look how often Mahomes and co. can simply step up to avoid Maxx coming out wide. 

Also players like Wilkins do NOT hit FA often. He 100% deserved to be franchise tagged but Miami is strapped for cash which is awesome for us. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

It's no doubt a ton of money. However DT is a vital position in today's NFL. If you do not have any interior pressure your D will likely be dead in the water. Look how often Mahomes and co. can simply step up to avoid Maxx coming out wide. 

Also players like Wilkins do NOT hit FA often. He 100% deserved to be franchise tagged but Miami is strapped for cash which is awesome for us. 

I agree and he will open things up for Maxx and others to eat.  Players like him do not hit the FA market often and I have been pounding the table for a dominant 3T for 20 years.  I can't complain with Wilkins but we backed in the Brinks truck for him lol

3. Christian Wilkins, DT, Miami Dolphins

Miami Dolphins defensive tackle Christian Wilkins spent the first four seasons of his career establishing himself as one of the league's top interior run defenders.

The 28-year-old is big (6'4", 310 lbs), physical, deceptively agile and can make plays in limited space. While many interior defenders his size excel at taking on blockers clogging lanes, Wilkins can actively get after ball-carriers—as evidenced by 59 solo stops in 2022.

This past season, however, Wilkins improved his play as an interior pass-rusher. He produced career highs in sacks (nine), quarterback pressures (30) and quarterback hits (23). However, with an added focus on pressuring signal-callers, Wilkins didn't appear to be as instinctual against the run.

Wilkins' total tackles dropped from 98 to 65, and he tied his career high with five missed tackles.

It'll be fair for teams to wonder which version of Wilkins they're going to get—a high-end interior rusher who is above average against the run or an elite run-defender who will occasionally pressure the quarterback. Either way, Wilkins is a relatively "safe" free-agent target who will command one of the largest contracts on the market.

2 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I agree and he will open things up for Maxx and others to eat.  Players like him do not hit the FA market often and I have been pounding the table for a dominant 3T for 20 years.  I can't complain with Wilkins but we backed in the Brinks truck for him lol

If you ask me personally theres not really much else that you need to do in FA. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/raiders/the-black-hole-plus/christian-wilkins-chris-jones-las-vegas-raiders-nfl-free-agency-tom-teleso-antonio-pierce

We have reported for days that the Raiders were going to go after "Dawgs" on the defensive line, and they did.  They may not be done.

We have been reporting that Nevada's lack of state income tax was a huge deal. While this deal is slightly less than DT Chris Jones, it is terrific for Wilkins, whom David Mulugheta superbly managed in getting the deal done.

This was a significant signing for the Raiders, who wanted to state that the line of scrimmage and the big bodies on it were where they would build.