Vikings sign Sam Darnold

4 hours ago, swede700 said:

If McCarthy had gotten a full training camp in, then sure, I'd likely be comfortable with him starting Week 1 in 2025 even if he had gotten injured in practice later on

Let’s not act like McCarthy missed all, or even most, of training camp. He’s missing like 5 practices before the team starts preparing for the Giants. 

• Like 3

Jefferson said this week that he has confidence that he and Sam Darnold will build a strong connection during their first season as teammates:

“It’s going very well. A lot of people don’t understand that there’s a lot of things that go into a quarterback and a receiver’s connection than just sitting back there and just throwing the ball to a spot. They have to really learn the timing of everything, how I run the routes, where I’m gonna be at in the routes. That’s just us learning each other, learning how he throws the ball, learning how I run the routes."

"I definitely feel confident in going into Week One with Sam as our quarterback. I feel like he’s been making plays throughout training camp. I don’t have any worry in my mind at all.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/justin-jefferson-i-dont-have-any-worry-at-all-about-sam-darnold

O’Connell:  "I think guys are pretty confident in Sam Darnold, I do. When Nick Mullens got his opportunities last year, we were very explosive as an offense. His ability to run the show and really highlight a lot of different aspects of our offense with his understanding is something. That’s why Nick’s here. He’s a guy we really respect and respect his prep and his experience.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/kevin-oconnell-the-players-are-pretty-confident-in-sam-darnold

• 2 weeks later...

Since 2018, Darnold has thrown 56 interceptions, and Kirk Cousins has thrown for a similar amount with 55 interceptions since becoming Vikings quarterback in 2018, but those came from almost twice the number of passes thrown.

Darnold’s 3.1% career interception rate suggests that if he throws 600+ passes like the Vikings did last season, he will account for roughly 19 interceptions. That’s the same amount Vikings’ passers threw last year.

Darnold has also fumbled in nearly 60% of the games he’s played in, suggesting a similar propensity to drop the ball as Vikings’ passers did last season. 

https://purpleptsd.com/2024/vikings/vikings-analysis/vikings-in-2024/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Jordan Palmer, former NFL QB: 

“I am really excited to see Sam Darnold finally in a good situation. Stats are stats, numbers are numbers, but I think it’s hard to argue, he’s been in tough spot after tough spot after tough spot, impossible to succeed type spots.”

“I think that context last year, now entering a new locker room, Kevin O’Connell, some great pieces obviously in that huddle with him and some coaches that have won I am just excited to see him in that situation and expectations are really high.”

“O’Connell hasn’t really had someone with this level of mobility, Sam is more on the upper end of mobility at quarterback. How does a creative mind like Kevin O’Connell use that mobility? How do they create more opportunities for all these pass catchers? Because it’s not just Justin Jefferson, they got Hockenson coming back, they now add the piece of Aaron Jones. I think this is a playoff-caliber team for sure. I think Sam is in a position here to make a run for Comeback Player of the Year.”

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2024/8/31/24232980/minnesota-vikings-news-and-links-can-the-vikings-defeat-the-giants

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 2

The Top Ten QB's with the most to prove in 2024:

1. Deshaun Watson
2. Aaron Rodgers
3. Russell Wilson
4. Bryce Young
5. Anthony Richardson
6. Will Levis

7. Sam Darnold
Six years of NFL experience may well be evidence enough that Darnold is better-suited on the bench, where he spent all of 2023 for the San Francisco 49ers. Yes, his setups with the New York Jets and Carolina Panthers were less than ideal, but often so was his decision-making. Even so, he's got a prime opportunity -- surely the best he's had since coming out of USC -- to at least hold a starting gig for a competitive team now that he's working with Justin Jefferson and under Kevin O'Connell in Minnesota. The Vikings should give him a decent leash with rookie J.J. McCarthy on the mend, helping his cause.

8. Daniel Jones
9. Trevor Lawrence
10. Tua Tagovailoa

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-10-nfl-qbs-with-the-most-to-prove-entering-2024-season-jets-aaron-rodgers-helps-headline-list/

4 hours ago, vike daddy said:

The Top Ten QB's with the most to prove in 2024:

1. Deshaun Watson
2. Aaron Rodgers
3. Russell Wilson
4. Bryce Young
5. Anthony Richardson
6. Will Levis

7. Sam Darnold
Six years of NFL experience may well be evidence enough that Darnold is better-suited on the bench, where he spent all of 2023 for the San Francisco 49ers. Yes, his setups with the New York Jets and Carolina Panthers were less than ideal, but often so was his decision-making. Even so, he's got a prime opportunity -- surely the best he's had since coming out of USC -- to at least hold a starting gig for a competitive team now that he's working with Justin Jefferson and under Kevin O'Connell in Minnesota. The Vikings should give him a decent leash with rookie J.J. McCarthy on the mend, helping his cause.

8. Daniel Jones
9. Trevor Lawrence
10. Tua Tagovailoa

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-10-nfl-qbs-with-the-most-to-prove-entering-2024-season-jets-aaron-rodgers-helps-headline-list/

How is Kirk not on that list? If Aaron Rodgers is on it, Kirk should be.