New Kicker Brandon McManus

Posted (edited)

I read the news headline and went Meh , another NFL player. I'd forgotten he was our new kicker ! Damn/ !!

$3.6 mill contract- what will it cost to just dump him ? It'll be months before the trial.  It'll be a distraction for sure. for him and the team , everybody. 

Edited by RSkinGM

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

I read the news headline and went Meh , another NFL player. I'd forgotten he was our new kicker ! Damn/ !!

$3.6 mill contract- what will it cost to just dump him ? It'll be months before the trial.  It'll be a distraction for sure. for him and the team , everybody. 

It'll depend on a lot of factors I'm sure. Commanders will do an independent investigation and go from there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

It'll depend on a lot of factors I'm sure. Commanders will do an independent investigation and go from there. 

Agree.  They likely at least go through the "process".  But I think, no matter what, you got to just move on.  It isn't a long time player we have a relationship with who you back up until the evidence is clear.  McManus isn't even that great of a kicker.   

I think it becomes a 1.5M cap space mistake.  

• Like 1

I think we need to move on. I sure hope this doesn't come back to bite us this season.

Maybe they can sign one of those UFL kickers who've looked great this spring. That's certainly something I'd do and there are always kickers out there, they just likely won't be as seasoned as McManus.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I think we need to move on. I sure hope this doesn't come back to bite us this season.

Maybe they can sign one of those UFL kickers who've looked great this spring. That's certainly something I'd do and there are always kickers out there, they just likely won't be as seasoned as McManus.

Yeah isn't there some guy kicking clutch 60 yarders in the UFL or XFL?

I think the only way this comes back to bite us is if we either don't cut him or it is uncovered that this was something we knew about before signing him.  

• Like 1

On 5/28/2024 at 5:37 PM, offbyone said:

Yeah isn't there some guy kicking clutch 60 yarders in the UFL or XFL?

I think the only way this comes back to bite us is if we either don't cut him or it is uncovered that this was something we knew about before signing him.  

https://www.betweenthegoalposts.com/post/xfl-week-4-special-teams-power-rankings

“John Parker Romo (SA) takes the top spot after a stellar 2-for-2 performance this week. His first field goal came from 38 yards out, but his second attempt was the one that really impressed me. Romo made this 57-yard field goal to break his own record for the Longest Field Goal in the XFL! This is an XFL record and the longest field goal made in Lumen Field history!

1. Matthew McCrane (DC) had the highest-scoring performance we've seen from any kicker in the XFL, making 4 field goals in a row after missing his first attempt from 47 yards out. After his miss, he came back and finished the night going 4-for-5, including a 20-yarder, a 23-yarder, a 26-yarder, and a 35-yarder which was his longest completion of the night.

2. Taylor Russolino (ARL) also impressed, jumping into the Top 3 after completing his only field goal attempt from 37 yards out!

3. Hunter Duplessis (HOU) did not attempt any field goals this week but remains in the Fourth Position with only one miss, from over 50 yards out.”

5 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

At worst, they need to make sure they bring someone else in to camp to be ready. 

Just cut him. What are they going to do carry 2 kickers on the roster? The NFL might suspend him for games. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Just cut him. What are they going to do carry 2 kickers on the roster? The NFL might suspend him for games. 

Maybe the Jags will offer a cash settlement .. 

40 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Through preseason. Should have a competition anyway. 

8 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Through preseason. Should have a competition anyway. 

This won't be wrapped up before preseason ends. The legal process takes forever. Why risk your kicker getting suspended midseason? We have no ties to this guy, he's aging and honestly mediocre. Just cut him. 

• Like 1