Eagles sign LB Devin White

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yes a 26 year old, former top 5 pick / former All-Pro for the low.

Not gonna sit here and act like I watch Bucs games or grind White tape, but from my research he's bad against the run. So maybe we can feature him on passing downs when he can rush the passer or blitz?

28 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yes a 26 year old, former top 5 pick / former All-Pro for the low.

Rarely works out. I mean, the Eagles did this twice last year with Byard and Shaq. Not saying it's a horrible move, but with as bad as the Eagles LBs are, I don't think they were in position to take a risk/gamble on a player. They needed someone who's a lock to be good.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, elevators_rule said:

Rarely works out. I mean, the Eagles did this twice last year with Byard and Shaq. Not saying it's a horrible move, but with as bad as the Eagles LBs are, I don't think they were in position to take a risk/gamble on a player. They needed someone who's a lock to be good.

And can you tell me what LB were a lock to be good on the FA market?

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Don't even have to go to a different team. The Bucs' Lavonte David was a free agent and is thoroughly better.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I mean Jerome Baker, who played well in the Fangio defense just last year, is literally STILL available. But nah, let's just go get the flashy way overhyped name. Can't tell you how disappointed I am in not only this signing, but in the Eagles approach to linebacker in free agency overall.

It’s a one year deal so it’s not a big deal, but White has been awful recently. 

We’re talking zero effort, lazy, running in sand kind of play. Pretty sure he got benched on run downs at one point.

I think it was Sapp, went in on him for the Ravens game where DW was letting people run away from him and couldn’t be bothered jogging in run defense. 

EDIT: 

Edited by Soko
  • Like 4

After his rookie season I was sure he'd be a perennial All-Pro if he only followed the most average development arc. He's a freak athlete, but his instincts are only okay at best, and he's as undisciplined as any ILB I've seen in years. As he is now, he's only a part time player, and unless his ability to process the game changes dramatically, the moment his athleticism falls off even slightly, he'll be completely washed.

That said, there's zero risk in a one year deal.

3 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

David obviously wasn't going anywhere.

It was a correct answer to his question. How many correct answers before we can seize with the post-answer parameter additions?

Also, David is branded as loyal, but his contract is 1/$10m. If the Eagles were truly committed to getting a good starter at LB, David (like anyone) would have come if offered a moderate salary increase (which the Eagles could have done for him).

3 minutes ago, elevators_rule said:

1 year deal, Bobby Wagner is objectively better, no?

I'd rather have Wagner. He can still run defend and tackle. He'll play smart and get everyone else lined up as well. White is just going to rush the passer decently and then be a constant weaklink as he loafs/doesn't understand/pay attention to the what the offense is doing. There's no Lavonte on the Eagles to get him to line up correctly. I hope I'm proven wrong but I have never been a Devin guy and don't think this really does anything for the Eagles. 

27 minutes ago, elevators_rule said:

1 year deal, Bobby Wagner is objectively better, no?

I mean yeah...basically.  But i think that was a pretty "coach specific" sort of landing spot.  Wagner wasn't really on the open market per se.  So it's kind of pointless to compare.