Saints sign DE Chase Young

RaidersAreOne

11 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

There is (I think?) an entire montage of Chase Young taking plays off and not hustling this past year just in SF. I think anyone should be highly skeptical of this signing. He's more name than actual production.

And this was an even bigger “prove it” year on a scale in the playoffs.  I saw Bosa flopping around on the ground trying to get to the QB in the Super Bowl and I immediately told my friend that you never see that effort from Chase Young.  

As far as I am concerned, he already had the prove it deal and lost big.  If he flops again, which I think is likely,  it’s probably out of the league time.   

• Like 2

I'm glad we brought in more depth, talented depth at that, at DE, but that's definitely a lot more than I wanted to pay for him.  Hopefully they keep him limited to mostly pass rushing duties so he can stat chase for a bigger payday next year and we can get maximum production from him.

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

And this was an even bigger “prove it” year on a scale in the playoffs.  I saw Bosa flopping around on the ground trying to get to the QB in the Super Bowl and I immediately told my friend that you never see that effort from Chase Young.  

As far as I am concerned, he already had the prove it deal and lost big.  If he flops again, which I think is likely,  it’s probably out of the league time.   

Yeah I mean it should speak volumes that SF, a really freaking good team, gave him a prove-it deal and then after this year was like "yeah, no thanks". If that's not a major red flag, idk what is.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

In a vaccuum this is a fine signing by the Saints. In context, I'm not sure I'd have rather minimized the restructures and started digged out of cap purgatory that much faster.

They've already started to clean the books a bit. Less aggressive spending in free agency and eating dead money on some of their bad contracts this season. It's slow going and will take a couple of seasons to do it since they don't want to bottom out, but they are making moves to clean it up a bit.

1 hour ago, JMG5 said:

They've already started to clean the books a bit. Less aggressive spending in free agency and eating dead money on some of their bad contracts this season. It's slow going and will take a couple of seasons to do it since they don't want to bottom out, but they are making moves to clean it up a bit.

Agreed, which is why I'm split on it. I think I'd have rather saved the restructures and pulled a full Rams and inject as much youth as I could muster instead, but its not as egregious as it has been in the past. I'm also not sure Young is the bet I'd have made but I can see the upside if this move lights a fire under him.

33 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Yeah the Saints and other teams were aware of it before he signed. Sounds like he should be good to go to start the season. Stemmed from an injury he suffered last preseason, so I suppose one could say it makes what he accomplished last season a little more impressive playing through the injury. 

9 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Bro... This probably stems from his neck injury (reported as a stinger) that caused him to miss week 1. 

Yeah he played through an injury last season and is getting surgery in the offseason to fix it. Not unheard for a football player to do…

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tyler735 said:

A gimme sack? He cooked the Chiefs LT to get the sack. 

Essentially 2 sacks in the Super Bowl with this grounding penalty being called due to Young “sacking” Mahomes as he tries to throw the ball away last second. This play occurred in the 2nd quarter.

Plus he had 4 or 5 total pressures in the Super Bowl and for what it’s worth PFF graded him as the highest rated edge defender on both teams in the Super Bowl.

Yes. The LT was flatfooted on the play. Easiest sack Chase got all year given that he used his only pass rush move. As for grounding, was it a sack or not? Mahomes ran right into him.

Pressures essentially mean jack when you understand it means that a) not all pressures are measured the same and b) the player didn't make the play

Yes. He came out looking great and hustling (which surprised almost EVERY Washington fan). And then the dude disappeared for most of the game (and then we were like "THERE HE IS"). 

Look, if you think that a few plays a game in a few games a year is worth $13M (half your available cap) then great. I'm glad you're excited for him. Someone should be, I guess. We'll refrain from the "I told you so's" a year from now when he's done jack for you or teased you with a handful of splash plays all year and then lazes about the field stealing a paycheck. And if he suddenly gets his cranium out of a dark area between his legs and finally develops into the player he was supposed to, then more power to him and Saints fans. It's a Festivus miracle! 

As for PFF, I'll pass on using them as a "ratings" source given that they graded out Wylie as a good OT for us last year in games he positively stunk in.

5 hours ago, JMG5 said:

Better news.

This makes it better. Because Chase takes a long time to get back from injuries. Hopefully for you guys, he plays all 17 games for you and you get value out of that contract.

• Like 1