Team Needs?

Ghostnote

7 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I agree we need to find Wittens replacement, or maybe even a straight-up upgrade over Witten. Just hard to replace the 5 I have listed. Dez was dropping passes, TWill was dropping passes, and Beasley got a shot to play on the outside where he looked completely out of place on his deep ball attempt. 

Plus we already have his replacement. Rico!

1. SS/FS

Byron Jones has been demoted in favor of Kavon Frazier.  While Frazier is a nice STer and can play some SS in a pinch, I don't think he's someone you want to be plan A.  Jeff Heath is a roller coaster, and Xavier Woods seems to have found his niche at Nickel.  We are in dire need of some dependable safety play.

2. DT

David Irving has provided great pass rush from the interior, but he's had struggles against the run as a full time 3T.  I still think he should be a base End who slides inside on passing downs.  That leaves the disappointing Maliek Collins as our only other true DT on the roster.  Whether a true 1T, a true 3T, or someone who can play both, we need to bolster the interior of our DL.

3. WR/TE

The offense without Elliott has highlighted the lack of playmaking ability at the receiver position.  We need someone other than Zeke who can provide a spark when needed, preferably someone with speed.  I included TE here because we need young talent at both positions and it doesn't matter where it comes from.

4. LB

This may change depending on what happens with Hitchens, but if the team lets him walk it tells me they want to hand the job over to Jaylon and I don't think LB will be high on their off-season priority list.  We need 3 that can play, maybe even 4 considering Lee and Jaylon's history.

12 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

1. SPEED

Think it might be a problem if Jones is fastest dude on the team. Just a hunch. 

I guess. Unless of course Jones is just as fast as C. Patterson, and according to this he is. If that's the case then he will probably be one of the fastest players on any team.

On 12/19/2017 at 10:54 AM, DaBoys said:

I guess. Unless of course Jones is just as fast as C. Patterson, and according to this he is. If that's the case then he will probably be one of the fastest players on any team.

Patterson was running impeded by cowboys players trying to take his head off.

Jones had a free unimpeded sprint where no one realized what he was doing until it was too late

#sarcasmkiller

Surprised more haven't mentioned OT as a need. Smith has had his issues health wise this season and never really know exactly how backs are going to react to anything. Believe this is 2nd year in row he has worked through back issues too. Green and Bell aren't answers as his backups either. 

1 minute ago, WizardHawk said:

Surprised more haven't mentioned OT as a need. Smith has had his issues health wise this season and never really know exactly how backs are going to react to anything. Believe this is 2nd year in row he has worked through back issues too. Green and Bell aren't answers as his backups either. 

I certainly wouldn't complain if we took one high...could always slide Collins back to LG and insert said player at RT and hope he can make the adjustment. 

Much as I prefer Collins at guard, dont get your hopes up there 

He has really improved in the second half of the season. He gets full extension, sets his feet well, plays with his hips, adjusts very well when beaten and has been a pretty quality guy on par with the other above average options at RT.

Its more in the run game now, that id like some.improvement. And thats why I prefer him at guard too. His ability on the pull from guard were the best ive ever seen. Not the best in a while or best on team, the best ive ever seen. He has the speed of a vertical game tight end when he hits space, and putting Zeke behind that would be a dream come true.

At tackle, he doesnt have the same leverage and he is more of an important cornerstone of the box so he is not asked to travel up field as a lead man.

Still, if his pass protection continues getting better, ill live with it as Martin and Fredrick are still one hell of a tandem inside. And we have seen what happens if pass protection fails, right?

And i doubt they will ever think of moving him back in now that theyve invested Ot money and time in him.

5 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

We are just listing top 5 needs I thought. As a Cowboy fan you have to hope Tyron, who was one of the youngest players ever drafted, has SEVERAL more years left. And La'el, another youngster 1st round prospect, is showing excellent promise at RT.  We should feel VERY confident in our OT position. Considering Martin could also play outside at a high level, how many teams have our options at OT? 

Obviously we need a swing tackle. Both Bell and Green are done after the year

3 hours ago, DaBoys said:

We are just listing top 5 needs I thought. As a Cowboy fan you have to hope Tyron, who was one of the youngest players ever drafted, has SEVERAL more years left. And La'el, another youngster 1st round prospect, is showing excellent promise at RT.  We should feel VERY confident in our OT position. Considering Martin could also play outside at a high level, how many teams have our options at OT? 

Obviously we need a swing tackle. Both Bell and Green are done after the year

The next years free agent class as far as OT goes isn't the most inspiring either...so barring a surprise cut, I'd imagine we'll have to look for a swing OT in the draft.

Archived