2024 MLB Gameday Thread

Thelonebillsfan

7 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/40530027/tampa-bay-rays-ss-wander-franco-charged-sexual-abuse-sexual-exploitation-minor

All that talent wasted on a total creep. Wasn't he supposedly mature BEYOND his years per his prospect scouting reports??

Also eff Jose Siri and his other locker room bros who instinctively called the accuser a gold digger.

Gotta be one of the dumbest professional athletes in history to ruin such a promising career.  Potential to be the next face of baseball and make a ton off endorsements to make his contract look like arbitration numbers, and then this.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

How much would it take for Pitt to lock up Skenes this offseason for 8 years + options? 

Nutting won't.  But, he's going to command top pitcher money.... 32-37 a year.  

Orioles going through a rough stretch- partly due to having one day off in June, which was then followed up by a west coast trip- but there is a clear need for a #3 starter, and two bullpen arms.  

I also think the team is entirely too heavy with left-handed hitters, and I think the time is now to call up Coby Mayo and platoon him with Ryan O’Hearn.  This would be at the expense of Urias and Mateo, but having both is pretty redundant at this point.  Especially when you look at them essentially relying on James McCann to catch against LHP so you can take O’Hearn out of the lineup.  

19 minutes ago, Totty said:

Nutting won't.  But, he's going to command top pitcher money.... 32-37 a year.  

Nutting won’t, that was clear as day when they were manipulating his service time by having him throw three-inning maintenance starts until they called him up.  

The Marlins are doing the same thing with Max Meyer.  

These clubs will never learn.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Nutting won’t, that was clear as day when they were manipulating his service time by having him throw three-inning maintenance starts until they called him up.  

The Marlins are doing the same thing with Max Meyer.  

These clubs will never learn.  

It's unfortunate.  The whole fan base feels as though we're a Yankee farm team.  Myself included.  We shipped off several all stars over the years for good/great prospects just to turn around and ship them off too. I could go down that list but honestly, it makes me sick.  

I've recently just come back to being a fan of the franchise. The Josh Bell/Garrett Cole saga did me in.  Then we gave Reynolds a long term deal when it was looking grim.  So that's something.  I just can't see them dishing out that kind of coin for Skenes. 

I went to a game last Friday to see him pitch.  There are ALWAYS seats available at the last minute.  Not that game.  Whenever he's on the mound it's a packed house.  There's not a less serious owner in all of sports than Bob Nutting. 

Edited by Totty
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Totty said:

It's unfortunate.  The whole fan base feels as though we're a Yankee farm team.  Myself included.  We shipped off several all stars over the years for good/great prospects just to turn around and ship them off too. I could go down that list but honestly, it makes me sick.  

I've recently just come back to being a fan of the franchise. The Josh Bell/Garrett Cole saga did me in.  Then we gave Reynolds a long term deal when it was looking grim.  So that's something.  I just can't see them dishing out that kind of coin for Skenes. 

I went to a game last Friday to see him pitch.  There are ALWAYS seats available at the last minute.  Not that game.  Whenever he's on the mound it's a packed house.  There's not a less serious owner in all of sports than Bob Nutting. 

Completely understand.  I went from 2002-2013 without really fully investing myself in the Orioles, and even when I did, I still kept them at arms length in a sense because of Peter Angelos, and us not getting more ‘modern’ with international signings and analytics.  

Just enjoy the young players like Skenes.  I picked season tickets in 2014 to be on the 3B side to watch Manny Machado, and it is very fun watching one of MLB’s franchise faces up close.  Whatever happens, happens, but enjoy the ride.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

As crazy as it sounds, Pittsburgh should try to compete for a wildcard spot

Get your star pitcher some playoff experience 

At this point, the entire National League is in the playoff mix except Colorado and Miami.

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Completely understand.  I went from 2002-2013 without really fully investing myself in the Orioles, and even when I did, I still kept them at arms length in a sense because of Peter Angelos, and us not getting more ‘modern’ with international signings and analytics.  

Just enjoy the young players like Skenes.  I picked season tickets in 2014 to be on the 3B side to watch Manny Machado, and it is very fun watching one of MLB’s franchise faces up close.  Whatever happens, happens, but enjoy the ride.  

I am in that same boat with the Tigers now.  Trading away JV, not bringing back Max, trading JD Martinez, all for nothing and now not spending anything has tested my fandom. So now we are having to hope the youth develops but Tork and Mize, our two top overall picks have been duds.  We have had bright spots with Green and Skubal and to a lesser extent Olsen and now Keith is coming on some but its tiresome.  Right now Maeda, Baez and Miggy make up 65% of our payroll and Baez is currently last in the league in OPS, Maeda is last in the league in batting average against and era for a regular pitcher, and Miggy is retired.

Its just frustrating how we lack hitter development in the system and can't buy nice things in free agency.  Our local radio host, Mike Valenti, has been on a rant since last year about passing on Langford and not signing someone like Matt Chapman this offseason instead of Urshela and Cahana.  As he mentions we are 44-27 when we score 2 runs or more but we have been shut out an insane number of times and scored 1 or less even more.  Adding Langford and Chapman into the mix would likely have us 7ish games better and in a wild card hunt.  Now I love Max Clark and McGonicle but they are in low A ball and wont make an impact for a few more years so I agree on Langford.  Instead we waste a Cy Young year from Skubal and that leads to talks of trading him.  

At least your Orioles hit on some prospects and are in a position to buy pieces to make a serious run. We will give you a fixed Flaherty back for some of your extra bats that can't find room in the majors. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

What we're seeing with Skenes is a rare treat. Peak DeGrom, Verlander, Kershaw, Max, Cole, and Sale. Rookie Strasburg, Harvey, Syndergaard, Jose Fernandez.

It may not last long, so enjoy it.

Edited by redsoxsuck05

Tons of Orioles fans melting right now, some of it rightfully so as the pitching is struggling, but damn, these fans need to look at the starters we’ve faced this week after an extremely tough June with one day off, and then immediately going on a west coast trip.  

Jameson Taillon 
Shoto Imanaga 
Justin Steele 
Gerrit Cole 
Luis Gil 

Some fans on an Orioles only board are calling for a soft sell.  It’s ridiculous.