2024 Rookie Minicamp, OTA's & Training Camp

Leader

43 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Are Heath or DuBose going to show up on special teams?  I honestly don't know, but I would think they would need to if they are going to stick on the 53.  I'm not seeing much value in keeping a WR only type on the roster as WR6.

I'd be a little shocked to see 3 QB's on the 53.

I think Heath was on a few specials teams and was pretty good. Not sure about Dubois because he was never active. 

I wonder how or if the new kick-off rule will change the makeup of guys on those teams. Will there be more big guys since they don't have to run as far? Just spit balling. 

I was never a fan of the idea of having two youngish (Clifford is 26) backup quarterbacks on the roster. Especially since I wouldn't trust either of them to be able to do a decent job if we needed them for a game or two. 

15 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

And yet Rodgers would t throw to the rookies anyway… didn’t show up to all the mini camps to hall get them up to speed and pushed hard to keep stellar guys around like white Jesus. 

And as I posted, that right there is why the "neglect" of the WR room is a deep issue.  Complex.  

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Are Heath or DuBose going to show up on special teams?  I honestly don't know, but I would think they would need to if they are going to stick on the 53.  I'm not seeing much value in keeping a WR only type on the roster as WR6.

I'd be a little shocked to see 3 QB's on the 53.

Heath got a shout out by wayne for workin his way down the field against two guys as a gunner at family night iirc

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Heath got a shout out by wayne for workin his way down the field against two guys as a gunner at family night iirc

Did Wayne throw out the dagger after the superlative work getting downfield on returns?

Joking aside, Heath has been nothing but a dog and definitely contributed on ST last year. DuBose might be better, but he’s going to have a lot to prove to be WR6 who has to do more that just line up at WR. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Refugee said:

Did Wayne throw out the dagger after the superlative work getting downfield on returns?

Joking aside, Heath has been nothing but a dog and definitely contributed on ST last year. DuBose might be better, but he’s going to have a lot to prove to be WR6 who has to do more that just line up at WR. 

I really expect Heath to be WR 5 or WR 6.  Dubose is WR 6 or WR 7.

Hoping we can put Dubose on PS, somehow.  And I really hope that we can find a way to carry 6 WR.

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

And as I posted, that right there is why the "neglect" of the WR room is a deep issue.  Complex.  

I see GB's "neglect" of the WR room the same way I see KC's "neglect" - they aren't throwing big-ticket resources at the issues, but they are addressing it. 

GB - post Tae, they drafted Montgomery 95th overall, in 2018 they had the Moore/MVS/ESB draft (along with unearthing Lazard, who if not a gem was at least a nice mineral), in 19 and 20 they grabbed Sternberger and Deguara in the 3rd,* 2021 Amari Rodgers 85th overall...again, only maybe 2 of those guys could be described as "hits" but they were putting forth relatively valuable resources to solve the issue. They just weren't having any luck. 

Same with KC...in reverse order from Worthy this year, they grabbed Rice last year, Skyy Moore the year before, along with acquiring Toney, Juju, and MVS (all on the cheap, but also the later two are veterans who'd had some success, Juju more than MVS). It isn't that they aren't addressing their WR issues, they just aren't having any luck. 

* TEs are not WRs, but if you find a Kelce or Gronk...

10 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I see GB's "neglect" of the WR room the same way I see KC's "neglect" - they aren't throwing big-ticket resources at the issues, but they are addressing it. 

GB - post Tae, they drafted Montgomery 95th overall, in 2018 they had the Moore/MVS/ESB draft (along with unearthing Lazard, who if not a gem was at least a nice mineral), in 19 and 20 they grabbed Sternberger and Deguara in the 3rd,* 2021 Amari Rodgers 85th overall...again, only maybe 2 of those guys could be described as "hits" but they were putting forth relatively valuable resources to solve the issue. They just weren't having any luck. 

Same with KC...in reverse order from Worthy this year, they grabbed Rice last year, Skyy Moore the year before, along with acquiring Toney, Juju, and MVS (all on the cheap, but also the later two are veterans who'd had some success, Juju more than MVS). It isn't that they aren't addressing their WR issues, they just aren't having any luck. 

By your own accounting, the FA's, trades, day 1 and day 2 picks invested look like this

GB: RD3 (94), RD3 (75), RD3 (94), RD3 (85)

KC: RD1 (28), RD2 (55), RD2 (54), traded RD3(100), UFA at 2Y/18M, UFA at 1Y/10M

I am just not seeing these as similar at all.

7 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

If something dramatic doesn't happen I assume the incumbent wins this kicker battle.  They're the same guy

It's going to be a crap shoot either way.  Anders may or may not find his happy place, while Joseph was 7-13 on kicks over 40 yards last season.  Nothing to do at this point but hope for the best.

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Playing Love without Tom against the Browns is a choice...

Hopefully it's a few handoffs and 10 is out. 

There are things they can do to make sure Love is protected while still running the offense. Short passes, blocking help from TE or RB etc. 

8 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

It's going to be a crap shoot either way.  Anders may or may not find his happy place, while Joseph was 7-13 on kicks over 40 yards last season.  Nothing to do at this point but hope for the best.

100% that's why I think the young gun gets it. Maybe some "upside" gute can talk himself into. Think Joseph would've had to win this thing walking away. Tie goes to anders

• Like 1

Apparently, there was some wind today, and our kickers did not like it one little bit.

The two kickers had, together, posted a 71 of 82 (87 percent) mark on field goals throughout camp. Today, they went just 8 of 14 (57 percent), missing two of three kicks each in the second field goal period and then missing on the final kicks of practice. Joseph was short on his last attempt while Carlson hit the upright.

200.webp