2024 Rookie Minicamp, OTA's & Training Camp

Leader

These types of articles are popping up every day on MSN newsfeed. I'm not the biggest fan of AJ Dillon the football player but give the guy a break. I hope he has a monster game against Denver to quite a few folks. 

Full disclosure, I was not a fan of brining him back, but at that price, why not.

Why Packers would be wise to seek trade partner for AJ Dillon (msn.com)

From GB reddit 

Practice is finished - Duration?

General:

• Full pads

• Practicing in Denver Colorado

• Welcome to the 16th practice

• Pretty distinguishable "Go Pack Go" chants from the crowd at joint practice this morning as the Packers take the field.

Next Event: Packers at Broncos, Aug. 18th 7 P.M. CT?

Injured:

• Edgerrin Cooper LB (hip)

• Jarveon Howard RB (ankle)

• Keshawn Banks DL (groin)

• MarShawn Lloyd RB (groin)

Not Practicing / Limited: 

• Carrington Valentine CB (hamstring, limited)

Offense:

• Love hit Wicks for nice gain up right side on first pass

• Josh Jacobs popped off two good runs to start team period against Broncos defense. On third, Broncos DE Zach Allen popped Jacobs at LOS. Good thud. Held him to 1-yard gain.

• Musgrave gets open space on a crosser for a nice gain.

• Doubs & Surtain fight for contested ball that’s incomplete.

• Play-action deep shot for Watson draws flags in the D, as Watson was grabbed.

• First chippy rep of the day. Tyler Davis mixes it up with Broncos LB after a play. Jacob Monk held Tyler Davis back. Quickly broken up.

• Dillon gets a carry with the 2s and then another with the 1s.

• Wilson gets carry with the 2s and two with the 3s.

• Nice completion from Clifford to Stanley with 2s.

• Clifford big completion to Heath wiped out by false start

• Pratt short-hops throw to wide-open Melton

• Rookie Jacob Monk getting some work at RG with 1s.

• Jacobs with 6 touches, Wicks 3 catches in 15 snaps by Packers No. 1 unit so far.

• Nik Bonitto hit Love’s arm as he threw. Ball popped up and Singleton picked it off. Packers weren’t happy their QB was touched.

• Jordan Love later said it was his right tackle Zach Tom who accidentally hit his arm after he got pushed into Love, not Nik Bonitto. Packers thought it was Bonitto in the moment, too.

• That’s at least three false starts for the Packers today. Believe two were from the backups.

• Under pressure, Love lofts throwback screen to Jacobs. Would’ve been interesting to see how well that would’ve worked. If he gets the throw off in time, potential big play.

• Not much doing for Packers in red zone with 1s. Incomplete to Wicks in end zone and to Doubs on sideline. Then Jacobs well covered in flat on short throw.

• Clifford hits nice screen to Melton and good hole up the middle for Merriweather run.

• More red zone. After 2 more Jacobs runs — he’s been a workhorse for Packers today.

• McMillan for Broncos breaks up throw for Reed at goal line.

• Finally a breakthrough as play-action flare pass to Musgrave finds open space to run to pylon.

• Jacob Monk at right guard and Kadeem Telfort at right tackle with the 1s right now.

• Love goes deep to Watson, who has to come back on it. Ball is incomplete with good coverage from Ja’Quan McMillian. One Broncos coach tells Love to stop throwing at him.

• Packers No. 1 offense goes four-and-out gaining just 1 yard in end-of-game scenario. Ball at own 40, down three, no timeouts, 1:10 left. Short completion to Jacobs then three incompletions with two near-picks.

• Levi Wallace picks off Clifford deep in deep. Looked like Stanley had a step but needed to come back to it.

• Packers No. 1 offense got another shot in two minute and it didn’t go much better. Three straight completions to Musgrave (twice) and Doubs, but a sack and incompletion result in another turnover on downs.

• JL Skinner, PJ Locke and Riley Moss all had near-picks in this same period and Pat Surtain and a fourth-down deflection.

• The Broncos’ defense “won” all three with two fourth-down stands and an INT.

Defense:

• Kenny Clark had a nice rep against Quinn Meinherz.

• Colby wooden looked good, winning a couple snaps.

• Deslin Alexandre won with a spin move vs Frank Crum

• Jonathan Ford opened with a good power rush vs Wattenburg

• Bullard at safety with McKinney

• Preston and Gary combine for sack of Nix on fourth offensive snap. Couldn’t tell who would have gotten there first.

• Bo Nix used a really good PA fake that got Rashan Gary, got outside the pocket and hit Tim Patrick for a chunk.

• LVN in backfield on rush vs Stidham. Possible sack. Stidham hits Humphrey with King in slot

• Enagbare would’ve had a sack on last snap on second run through for No. 1s.

• Ty’Ron Hopper is back in team.

• Clark has had a nice practice this far, disrupts run. Gary gets TFL.

• Stidham floats pass in to McLaughlin on a wheel but Wyatt nearly ran directly into Stidham. Got a big push on inside rush.

• Wooden just got a pass deflection at line.

• Second team period began with Rashan Gary wrecking things for Broncos’ offense.

• Nix with a big 3rd-and-long completion to Sutton.

• Stidham with a pretty over-shoulder ball to Jaleel McLaughlin down sideline.

• Wilson hit Krull deep up the seam.

• Bo Nix looks REALLY sharp today.

• Nixon working as perimeter corner in base

• On three passes in the red zone, Bo Nix had two touchdowns, including a 12-yard strike to Tim Patrick. Only incompletion was a batted screen.

• Ballentine with a near pick on Wilson pass thrown slightly behind WR across middle.

• Jaire breaks up pass for Humphrey and we get a sword celebration.

• Strong work from Packers D-line during 11-v-11 that focused on first- and second-down.

• Pat Surtain II is legit.

• Strong day for Bo Nix vs. a good Packers front. Play of the day was a quick-fire throw to Dorsett for a 12-yard TD against air-tight coverage.

• Denver’s offense was successful in both of its red zone attempts. Strong showing to end the joint practice.

Special Teams:

• Zayne Anderson and Evan Williams rotating as personal protector.

• We’ve got Matt Orzech and Devon Key mixing it up in special teams drill. Long snappers are fighters too.

• Anders Carlson good from 45 & 53.

• Greg Joseph good from 46 & 52.

• Alex Hale good from 47. Had a 51 yarder blocked (offsides called).

Media:

Interviews:

• Matt LaFleur:

• Says the Packers had a team dinner at Shanahan’s Steakhouse in Denver last night and will go to Topgolf tonight.

• He gave a few all-time Mike Shanahan stories.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

You're right, guys on this board are way more intelligent when it comes to evaluating offensive line talent than the guy who won 6 Super Bowls! What was I thinking! LOL

Also, his tenure in NE was filled with pro-bowl offensive lineman, so yeah, he probably is the guy to go to for draft evaluations. 

Quote on Sean Rhyan, also, can't find it but there were comments this year that Rhyan was, 'working himself into shape in camp!' 

“I think he’s in much better shape than he was a year ago. I think that’s pretty evident,” LaFleur said Thursday. “Hopefully, he can build on that and continue to learn and grow within our offense. It’s going to come down to his ability to go out there and compete and do it on a consistent basis.”

Stop having such thin skin.  BB's drafts didn't exactly work out so great.  Your post implied that his eval was spot on for Morgan.  The fact is that he missed quite a bit.  Evaluating draft eligible players for New England appeared to be his lone weak link.  And it was covered up nicely by his GOAT QB and his amazing defensive genius.  Dude worked some great trades, too.

So, it did come down to Rhyan's ABILITY.  Which is what I stated, his non-evolution could be due to many factory.  Which is scary considering he shared reps last year and was a 3rd round pick trying to play guard.

I know you were on his go-train hard last year.  I was for a short time.  I hope he works out.  So far, he has not.  I thought with his body type, and with his tackle play in college, he'd be a very good guard.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vegas492 said:

…This year should be about developing Morgan at LT.  Next year is about having him really compete with Walker.

If Morgan ends up at guard next year, then I'll be a little miffed.  Because that is a waste of a first round pick in my book.

Guard should be the fallback option for him.…

Morgan late 1st rounder.  If he’s actually good as a starter, whether guard or tackle, that’s win, not waste or miff.  If walker plays well enough to keep starting, I’ll love that. If Tom and walker both stay healthy, I’ll love that.  So I think if Morgan is starting at guard, and playing it well, that’s all win win win ideal.

I’m guessing the line will be bad in run blocking no matter who plays where.  Tom, Morgan, walker, lucky if get average from any of them

Edited by craig
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, craig said:

Morgan late 1st rounder.  If he’s actually good as a starter, whether guard or tackle, that’s win, not waste or miff.  If walker plays well enough to keep starting, I’ll love that. If Tom and walker both stay healthy, I’ll love that.  So I think if Morgan is starting at guard, and playing it well, that’s all win win win ideal.

I’m guessing the line will be bad in run blocking no matter who plays where.  Tom, Morgan, walker, lucky if get average from any of them

I wouldnt say we're bad at run blocking. Just not great. Morgan/Rhyan are both strong guys as well so should be an upgrade on runyan.. and the theyre all athletic enough for the zone stuff. Just have to gel.

But yeah i wouldnt say theyre BAD 

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Stop having such thin skin.  BB's drafts didn't exactly work out so great.  Your post implied that his eval was spot on for Morgan.  The fact is that he missed quite a bit.  Evaluating draft eligible players for New England appeared to be his lone weak link.  And it was covered up nicely by his GOAT QB and his amazing defensive genius.  Dude worked some great trades, too.

So, it did come down to Rhyan's ABILITY.  Which is what I stated, his non-evolution could be due to many factory.  Which is scary considering he shared reps last year and was a 3rd round pick trying to play guard.

I know you were on his go-train hard last year.  I was for a short time.  I hope he works out.  So far, he has not.  I thought with his body type, and with his tackle play in college, he'd be a very good guard.

I used him as one example of a guy, who knows a lot, thinks about Morgan. 

I've not given up on Rhyan, but would be very leery of extending him if he turns it on. I think he wasn't bad in week 1 of the preseason. 

I thought Rhyan was ok at centre but at the same time I didn't think he looked natural playing it. For me he's a guard/tackle.

Rhyan looks much better now physically than he was as a rookie when he essentially got fat. He looks closer to his normal self during his last college season/draft process. Yes he was breathing hard during the previous preseason game but he's still showing some progress. Last season he was able to force Runyan into a rotation, they let him go in free agency and the Packers did not draft a guard until round 5 so on the surface they must have some confidence that Rhyan can do the job. He has been running with the ones all camp and having Morgan rotating in to compete. He must be doing something right even though he has a way to go. I think The Packer fans "hate-dom" of Rhyan is out of date and needs to be adjusted.

Personally i'm not sure why the Packers are wasting their time with Rhyan at centre when they have Monk who has far more experience doing it.

I think it's PR/Optics. If Monk goes in at centre if Myers goes down, that Rhyan happens to be the starting RG and Tom remains at RT it would mean that our No.1 draft pick is on the bench. The Packers obviously cannot have that so they would rather have Rhyan move to centre and plug Morgan at RG if it ever comes down to it.

At the same time they don't want to piss off Tom. Moving Tom to centre is effectively asking him to take a future pay cut after establishing himself as our starting tackle. We need to keep him happy which is why we have not seen him moved around in training camp. As a result this is why we are forcing Morgan to play lots of snaps at guard as its the only way for him get on the field. Coming into training camp I didn't think LT was that established and Morgan would've had the shot to compete for it but the Packers obviously decided Walker is good enough and has gone the entire camp with zero competition. For someone who rotated with Nijman after Bakhtiari went down last year, for someone who was a 7th round pick getting that undroppable treatment despite us drafting a tackle in the first round is shocking to me. Don't they want to find out if Morgan is better than Walker?

Edited by Chili

Something I haven't really been considering in this whole Tom/Walker/Morgan/Myers debate is that a decision on Jenkins is also coming after 2025. In my head I have been thinking the decision is Walker vs Meyers, but now I think the decision is probably Walker vs Jenkins.  It doesn't seem crazy to think GB's plan for the OL could be

• Keep Morgan inside
  • Extend Tom and Walker prior to 2026
  • Move on from Jenkins after 2025

Jenkins will be 31 in 2026, and unless I am looking at things wrong, moving on from him after 2025 frees up 20M in cap space.  History suggests that 2025 is probably the last year in GB for Jenkins, which makes keeping both OT's more doable.  Morgan would stay inside, but could be kicked outside in a pinch. If GB reworks the Jenkins contract to keep him in GB, I expect Walker would be the odd man out, but for now I'm thinking the odd man out will probably be Jenkins. This is all two seasons away, and a lot can obviously happen between now and then to change the dynamic.

The decision on Myers comes sooner, and now seems more or less unrelated to the OT decision.  I still think keeping Myers on an 7-8M(ish) contract makes sense unless Rhyan looks like a natural at C. I don't think Rhyan has looked like a natural so far. I do expect Rhyan to take some snaps at C this season due to injury or whatever, which should tell us more about how viable he is.  Even if Rhyan does take over at C in 2025, GB would be looking to extend him along with Tom and Walker.  Maybe that extra year gives Monk enough time to develop.  Monk looks ok by most accounts, but penciling him in to start next season seems like a stretch. Drafting an immediate starter at C is possible, but expecting that to fall into place also seems like a stretch.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I view it like Bakh/Spriggs.  Had Spriggs developed, maybe we don't pay Bakh.  

Agree on Tom.  

Sure would be a nice position to be in, having two quality LT's on the roster.  At the very least, one of them is going to be worth some compensation either via a trade or compensatory pick.

Except Bakh pre-injury was still an elite player.  Unfortunately, the multiple knee surgeries killed it for him.  That's probably the closer to comparison for Tom.  Bakh was getting paid regardless of how well Spriggs played.

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Something I haven't really been considering in this whole Tom/Walker/Morgan/Myers debate is that a decision on Jenkins is also coming after 2025. In my head I have been thinking the decision is Walker vs Meyers, but now I think the decision is probably Walker vs Jenkins.  It doesn't seem crazy to think GB's plan for the OL could be

• Keep Morgan inside
  • Extend Tom and Walker prior to 2026
  • Move on from Jenkins after 2025

Jenkins will be 31 in 2026, and unless I am looking at things wrong, moving on from him after 2025 frees up 20M in cap space.  History suggests that 2025 is probably the last year in GB for Jenkins, which makes keeping both OT's more doable.  Morgan would stay inside, but could be kicked outside in a pinch. If GB reworks the Jenkins contract to keep him in GB, I expect Walker would be the odd man out, but for now I'm thinking the odd man out will probably be Jenkins. This is all two seasons away, and a lot can obviously happen between now and then to change the dynamic.

The decision on Myers comes sooner, and now seems more or less unrelated to the OT decision.  I still think keeping Myers on an 7-8M(ish) contract makes sense unless Rhyan looks like a natural at C. I don't think Rhyan has looked like a natural so far. I do expect Rhyan to take some snaps at C this season due to injury or whatever, which should tell us more about how viable he is.  Even if Rhyan does take over at C in 2025, GB would be looking to extend him along with Tom and Walker.  Maybe that extra year gives Monk enough time to develop.  Monk looks ok by most accounts, but penciling him in to start next season seems like a stretch. Drafting an immediate starter at C is possible, but expecting that to fall into place also seems like a stretch.

I think this is all fair, but i think you have to at least give Morgan a shot at tackle.. and maybe that opportunity just comes through injury and he never lets it go or something.

But yeah I dont think Myers has anything to really do with the OT convo. Just the Morgan vs OT.

On 8/16/2024 at 3:41 PM, craig said:

I'm happy that you would feel like taking a first round pick at guard is a win.

I'm not in that boat with you.  No big deal.  I get where you are coming from, a starter is a starter, but I just feel like the first round should be for more premium positions, unless a very high end talent is there at a non-premium.

Not sure where Morgan would have fallen, rank wise, against other "pure" guards coming out.  But when I see him, I see a little Daryn College.  Technician, feet, but lacks power.  I still feel like he can add some power to those legs and be a plus tackle.

On 8/17/2024 at 10:39 AM, CWood21 said:

Except Bakh pre-injury was still an elite player.  Unfortunately, the multiple knee surgeries killed it for him.  That's probably the closer to comparison for Tom.  Bakh was getting paid regardless of how well Spriggs played.

You don't know that.  Bakh getting paid regardless of how well Spriggs played.  

You do know that Bakh was still elite and cost a ton to get onto that next contract.  Guess I feel like GB had a contingency plan going at LT with Spriggs, so they wouldn't have to pay the going rate for Bakh and could invest elsewhere.  Just ended up being that Spriggs was not up to the task.

So yeah, I still see it like Bakh/Spriggs in that there is an established starter and a young kid developing behind him.  If the young kid hits, it makes the established guy less of a priority to re-sign.

I'll also say this...in no way am I stating that I feel like Walker=Bakh from back then.  Like not at all.

On 8/17/2024 at 10:41 AM, Mazrimiv said:

Pretty reasonable to believe we move on from Jenkins after 2025 given his age. It seems to be what the Packers do.

For me, it's too early to know what we'll do with Walker. It seems obvious Tom is a guy who is getting extended this upcoming off season. Walker depends on if he continues to play well, but also if Morgan looks like he can be an above average LT. 

Hard to tell from our current cast of characters, but it seems easier to find talent inside than at tackle. Extend Meyers and keep drafting offensive linemen.