Denver Broncos 2024 Draft Thread

34 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Here's the thing I don't get about most people that are bugging out - if you agree the position is a position of need, how can you be THAT upset? Do you REALLY believe in your heart of heart you know enough about Bo Nix's decision making, awareness, intelligence, anticipation, etc to write the guy off before he's even played?

Sorry to be 'that' guy, but every single person in this forum knows that the answer to that question is "no - I don't know enough". So ... relax! 

I get that making predictions and giving opinions on prospects is part of the reason you come to forums like this; that said, you don't HAVE to be so definitive and hyperbolic with every opinion.

The only exception I will give to this is if you prescribe to @AKRNA way of thinking, which is to build the team and get the QB afterwards. Whilst I don't agree with this approach per se, I do accept that picking the 6th QB in the draft at #12 very much goes against this thinking, thus I get the outrage (kind of ...)

Here’s the thing, if you think Nix is going to be a bust then the pick is a disaster because the absolute worst decision a franchise can make is to spend a 1st round pick on a bust QB. Obviously the best thing is to find a franchise QB, but if you take a guy and he busts then you run into each of the following issues:

1) It’s a waste of a valuable resource (#12 overall pick) that could have been spent on a first round talent at another position.

2) Having a bad QB means you’re going to lose a lot of games - even more so than if you just didn’t have one at all because you get the benefit of starting a solid veteran instead and you have an impact player at another position.

3) It anchors you to playing that guy for 2-3 years. So you miss out on the next QB class or two even if a better option is available. Also means you miss out on any good FA/trade options that might come up.

Now, Sean Payton and George Paton are much more experienced evaluators of QB talent than any of us on this forum will ever be, so you’ve got to give them a pass to the extent that if this guy does hit, then they’ve done very well to get the franchise QB without having to trade up and mortgage future draft classes. 

BUT, from both my own personal watching of his games and listening to media evaluations from guys I trust, I think the most likely career path for Bo Nix is being a Case Keenum level player. If that prediction turns out to be accurate and we’ve just signed up for another three years of QB purgatory, then both SP and GP should be the fall guys and it’ll be time to completely hit the reset button on this incredibly sad era for the franchise. 

4 hours ago, Zukhyubern said:

I am at peace with this. I tried to will it out of existence in my brain heading in but I’m going to have faith. 

he was clearly our guy and I’m going to trust the process. Namaste 

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/3o7btSlEkVbvtjkW3K" width="480" height="257" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/foxhomeent-yoga-peace-3o7btSlEkVbvtjkW3K">via GIPHY</a></p>

Edited by jsthomp2007

35 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Here’s the thing, if you think Nix is going to be a bust then the pick is a disaster because the absolute worst decision a franchise can make is to spend a 1st round pick on a bust QB. Obviously the best thing is to find a franchise QB, but if you take a guy and he busts then you run into each of the following issues:

1) It’s a waste of a valuable resource (#12 overall pick) that could have been spent on a first round talent at another position.

2) Having a bad QB means you’re going to lose a lot of games - even more so than if you just didn’t have one at all because you get the benefit of starting a solid veteran instead and you have an impact player at another position.

3) It anchors you to playing that guy for 2-3 years. So you miss out on the next QB class or two even if a better option is available. Also means you miss out on any good FA/trade options that might come up.

I don't agree with the bold, especially with the #12 pick as opposed to top 5. In fact, you could make an argument that swinging for the fence on a QB after the top 10 is the BEST thing you can do.

Financially, it's nowhere near as damaging as say, signing a 34 year old QB to a contract with $161m in guarantees for him to play like a bottom 10 QB and taking $80m+ in deadcap. 

Nix's contract will be something like 4 mil, $20m. We could walk away from that any time we like should we get the chance to upgrade.

What's more - if, as you say, he's a total bust then chances are we are losing a ton of games, thus putting ourselves in a position to get a better option and that doesn't matter if it's next year.

I feel like your opinion was valid when the Sam Bradford rookie contracts were around; that isn't the case now.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 2

Well, the pick was sort of what we expected, but still feels very meh. Local media apparatus is working extreme overtime to get fans excited about the pick. The draft room looked like a morgue outside of Payton. I think it's quite clear the preference was to trade back, but Payton (rightfully) didn't want to play that game and lose Nix.

On the plus side, they seem to feel good about Nix's ability to run the offense, and, to his credit, at Oregon he ran some concepts similar to what he'll be asked to do in Denver, and he did them well. Lanning put him in a position to succeed. Nix has a lot of experience (which can be a good success indicator), and his numbers improved YoY.

On the down side, he played in a terrible conference, and a lot of his yards came via bubble screens and YAC by receivers. I don't think he has a particularly great arm. Watching him early in his career was...tough. 

I think this is a pick made 70% out of necessity, but 30% out of intrigue for the player and the fit. Ultimately, what matters is whether he fits with Payton. I'm not particularly optimistic about it, but I'd be thrilled to be wrong. How we handle the rest of the draft will be critical. This team has pissed away so many chances at talent, and the roster reflects that. We need to be drafting athletes and guys who can make an impact somewhere. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Here's the thing I don't get about most people that are bugging out - if you agree the position is a position of need, how can you be THAT upset? Do you REALLY believe in your heart of heart you know enough about Bo Nix's decision making, awareness, intelligence, anticipation, etc to write the guy off before he's even played?

Sorry to be 'that' guy, but every single person in this forum knows that the answer to that question is "no - I don't know enough". So ... relax! 

I get that making predictions and giving opinions on prospects is part of the reason you come to forums like this; that said, you don't HAVE to be so definitive and hyperbolic with every opinion.

The only exception I will give to this is if you prescribe to @AKRNA way of thinking, which is to build the team and get the QB afterwards. Whilst I don't agree with this approach per se, I do accept that picking the 6th QB in the draft at #12 very much goes against this thinking, thus I get the outrage (kind of ...)

Of course we don’t know enough, it’s the beauty of being a fan.

What’s your opinion on the selection?

It was pretty unreasonable to expect a coach with Sean Payton’s legacy to go into a season with a competition between Zach Wilson and Jarrett Stidham. That’s the worst QB room in the NFL. Payton is rich and happy and doesn’t need to do this. He was not going to waste another year on QBs he doesn’t like. 

1 minute ago, BroncoBruin said:

It was pretty unreasonable to expect a coach with Sean Payton’s legacy to go into a season with a competition between Zach Wilson and Jarrett Stidham. That’s the worst QB room in the NFL. Payton is rich and happy and doesn’t need to do this. He was not going to waste another year on QBs he doesn’t like. 

Hahaha I know I’ll get even more heat from this, but Wilson and Stidham are both better than Nix……that’s the problem. 

Just now, germ-x said:

Hahaha I know I’ll get even more heat from this, but Wilson and Stidham are both better than Nix……that’s the problem. 

And I’ll add everyone in this forum knows it, it’s just the optimistic fandom that doesn’t want to accept it.

Just now, germ-x said:

I don’t like Nix but Payton does and it was pretty obvious throughout the whole process. I just don’t understand why some fans had this expectation that Payton was going to ignore the most important position on the field and just waste a year he could be spending on TV or vacation. 

5 minutes ago, germ-x said:

And I’ll add everyone in this forum knows it, it’s just the optimistic fandom that doesn’t want to accept it.

I think Wilson is better right now, no doubt. Stidham, eh I don't know about that.

10 hours ago, AKRNA said:

It makes no sense to me at all. If he were targeting Nix why did we even bother to trade for Wilson?

Zach Wilson is one of the worst QBs I’ve ever seen. From all accounts, he’s a terrible teammate too. Last year Rodgers and the coaches had to talk him into wanting to play football when he wanted to pack it up and go home.

Zach Wilson was just an effortless lotto ticket. He was never going to be a plan of any kind. 

18 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Oh and Bo Nix will start from Day 1. You can put that it ink. Again, Sean doesn’t need this job. He has nothing to prove. He has no reason to waste time denying reps to a 24 year old rookie.

100%. Barring an injury or something unforeseen, he's the starter. Slight chance one of the other guys starts a game or two, but Nix will play most of this season. Knowing that, I fully expect Denver to bring some weapons to the table.

WR/RB with our R3 pick seems firmly in play. Corley would be a fantastic pick given his YAC abilities.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

100%. Barring an injury or something unforeseen, he's the starter. Slight chance one of the other guys starts a game or two, but Nix will play most of this season. Knowing that, I fully expect Denver to bring some weapons to the table.

WR/RB with our R3 pick seems firmly in play. Corley would be a fantastic pick given his YAC abilities.

Yup. Gotta make sure Nix has the best opportunity to hit the ground running. This moneyball (bad) defense will put Nix in negative game script all year but the OL should be competent enough that he isn’t just getting killed. Will get a lot of opportunities to test his limitations this year. No need to slow play any of it. 

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Yup. Gotta make sure Nix has the best opportunity to hit the ground running. This moneyball (bad) defense will put Nix in negative game script all year but the OL should be competent enough that he isn’t just getting killed. Will get a lot of opportunities to test his limitations this year. No need to slow play any of it. 

Allbright suggests T'Vondre Sweat is a potential target in R3. I suspect we're going to trade up in R3. Payton won't be able to help himself and we're going to be waiting awhile since we traded our R2 pick for a coach