The Official 2024 Raider Draft Day Thread

Just now, Chali21 said:

Except good prospects are ruined often because you do not have a good situation. If the Raiders don’t have that right side shored up Penix is going to get ptsd and start seeing ghosts. This problem will be compounded due to his statuesque way of playing the position. 

This is a flawed way of thinking. Great QB’s with strong mindsets will overcome adversity and not be ruined. 

The fact is David Carr and Sam Darnold were always going to suck. David Carr is soft as hell just like his brother, and not a warrior mindset by any stretch. As for Darnold, elite OL wouldn’t have saved him, he’s just a super slow processor regardless. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bucksavage1 said:

I think Penix doesn’t last until 13

Penix is not going Top 10. Vegas is certain of that with their odds today. But if Minnesota doesn’t have a QB at 11, they are definitely going Penix. I also think Denver would be 50/50 to pick Penix.

A realistic mock:

13. Michael Penix Jr | QB | Washington

44. Ennis Rakestraw Jr | CB | Missouri

77. Blake Fisher | OT | Notre Dame

112. Mason McCormick | OG | South Dakota State

148. Gabe Murphy | Edge | UCLA

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Dane Brugler / Mel Kiper / Daniel Jeremiah all have us going Penix at #13.

We clearly like him and they must have some inside info. I still think we’ll offer the farm if Daniels slips to #4. 

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It's pretty crazy that Telesco is going into his 12th NFL draft and has never traded back in any round through his first 11.

Makes sense coming from the Polian tree. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

A realistic mock:

13. Michael Penix Jr | QB | Washington

44. Ennis Rakestraw Jr | CB | Missouri

77. Blake Fisher | OT | Notre Dame

112. Mason McCormick | OG | South Dakota State

148. Gabe Murphy | Edge | UCLA

Very good!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

The thought process of having to have everything perfect before drafting a qb is what keeps teams straight up mids.

Exactly. Also, this is not the early 2000s anymore, where if you miss on a QB with a massive contract its debilitating to your team for years. 

Teams are drafting QBs and moving on from them in two years if they are not it. Look at the 21’ QB class. 

Its been almost 20 years since Jamarcus Russell. Raiders are going to have to sack up and take a plunge sooner or later. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Exactly. Also, this is not the early 2000s anymore, where if you miss on a QB with a massive contract its debilitating to your team for years. 

Teams are drafting QBs and moving on from them in two years if they are not it. Look at the 21’ QB class. 

Its been almost 20 years since Jamarcus Russell. Raiders are going to have to sack up and take a plunge sooner or later. 

Couldn’t agree more 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Imagine if the pick is Cooper DeJean.

Last time I said imagine if the pick was…. It was Alex Leatherwood the day of the draft 

Have you ever heard of a perma-ban? I mean I know it's rare around these parts. But I've seen it happen...... 

😆

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

This is a flawed way of thinking. Great QB’s with strong mindsets will overcome adversity and not be ruined. 

The fact is David Carr and Sam Darnold were always going to suck. David Carr is soft as hell just like his brother, and not a warrior mindset by any stretch. As for Darnold, elite OL wouldn’t have saved him, he’s just a super slow processor regardless. 

So you’re banking that Penix has:

A. Warrior Mentality 

B. Can process quickly

Both could happen. Or he could be like most rookies and get plastered by teams loading the right side because the Raiders have a turnstile there. Plus as someone said this isn’t 2006 anymore and teams usually have great rushers on both sides. 

Now I don’t have a problem with the Raiders taking a QB in fact I’ve largely been in favor of it. It’s honestly one of the reasons I was annoyed with the Raiders winning last year. However I do not think that this team is set up on the right side of the line for a left handed QB. I’d feel this way about it if Steve Young or Ken Stabler were in this draft. I don’t think things need to be perfect because they never will be, but situations matter unless you have Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck. 

30 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

Penix is not going Top 10. Vegas is certain of that with their odds today. But if Minnesota doesn’t have a QB at 11, they are definitely going Penix. I also think Denver would be 50/50 to pick Penix.

It already seems like there’s an unsuspecting team trading up for a QB. Rams and Giants could push Penix and Nix up in the draft. 

4 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

It already seems like there’s an unsuspecting team trading up for a QB. Rams and Giants could push Penix and Nix up in the draft. 

Penix will go picks 11-13 range. Bo Nix will go in the 2nd. The Top 4 will all go Top 4 imo.