The Official 2024 Raider Draft Day Thread

30 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Can someone explain how Penix would fit the offense? I'm not seeing. 

I'm not convinced he will be the pick. It's too easy to mock him to the Raiders out of desperation. I think Telesco is more prudent.

What is Getsy's scheme? And has he really shown enough as a play caller to justify targeting guys that only fit into that? Reminds me of Paul Guenther a few years ago where we passed on good players because they didn't "fit the scheme." Good coordinators should and typically do mold their scheme around the strengths of their personnel. 

• Like 3

I’m lukewarm on Arnold. Measurables aren’t the greatest. Coverage in college was great but not outstanding. Seems like one of the usual “high character” feel good picks that ends up being meh. I’d be ok with him, as we have needed a good corner prospect for ages…

• Like 1

At this point if the top 4 QBs are out of reach I hope the Raiders take a defensive player. RT is a need sure but it’s less of one if they have a right handed qb. You can find RTs all throughout the draft. I’m all for solidifying the team and then mortgaging the draft next year for a top QB because honestly this team will only really need depth in the later rounds. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Can someone explain how Penix would fit the offense? I'm not seeing. 

I'm not convinced he will be the pick. It's too easy to mock him to the Raiders out of desperation. I think Telesco is more prudent.

We have no long term QB and Penix can be a fringe Top 10 guy. You don’t pass up a guy because of your OC, who is likely fired next year anyways. 

Penix reminds me a lot of Stroud last year when it comes to people knocking him. The main knock on Stroud was he’s purely a pocket QB and doesn’t move. 

Penix has good size, great accuracy, and the second best deep thrower in this draft behind Daniels. Would not shock me if he ends up a star and a Top 2 QB of this draft class. I also think he’s the second best pure thrower behind Maye. 

He’s my QB5, but if this was the 90’s, he’d probably be my QB4 ahead of Daniels. Penix is going to be a pure pocket QB unfortunately and needs an elite line, a very elite line. The other 4 QB’s all have amazing play extension ability. 

Big fan of the Top 5 QBs of this draft. Good QB draft class. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

I’m lukewarm on Arnold. Measurables aren’t the greatest. Coverage in college was great but not outstanding. Seems like one of the usual “high character” feel good picks that ends up being meh. I’d be ok with him, as we have needed a good corner prospect for ages…

Quinyon Mitchell is my preference if we're going corner in the first.

• Like 2

Just now, agarcia34 said:

Imagine if the pick is Cooper DeJean.

Last time I said imagine if the pick was…. It was Alex Leatherwood the day of the draft 

Wouldn’t be my choice, but I also wouldn’t be upset. DeJean is going to a really solid player 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Quinyon Mitchell is my preference if we're going corner in the first.

Agreed. Same coverage ability and same measurables as Arnold imo, but with 4.33 speed vs 4.5 speed. 4.5 speed is really meh for a corner. Every year you’ll hear this forum say 4.5 is fine for a corner, and then they end up being meh. If Arnold had elite height and arm size to make up for it, it’d be fine, but he doesn’t. He also was not this elite lockdown corner people are making him out to be. 

I also like DJ James in the 3rd. 

14 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Imagine if the pick is Cooper DeJean.

Last time I said imagine if the pick was…. It was Alex Leatherwood the day of the draft 

DeJean is pretty good. The Raiders run a lot of zone so I think he would be a good fit, even at corner. I just don't think he is the type of player you take in the top 15. But, he could be elite in his role like Richard Sherman or Josh Norman. He has some Jalen Ramsey in him, too.

Edited by Rich7sena
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

We have no long term QB and Penix can be a fringe Top 10 guy. You don’t pass up a guy because of your OC, who is likely fired next year anyways. 

Penix reminds me a lot of Stroud last year when it comes to people knocking him. The main knock on Stroud was he’s purely a pocket QB and doesn’t move. 

Penix has good size, great accuracy, and the second best deep thrower in this draft behind Daniels. Would not shock me if he ends up a star and a Top 2 QB of this draft class. I also think he’s the second best pure thrower behind Maye. 

He’s my QB5, but if this was the 90’s, he’d probably be my QB4 ahead of Daniels. Penix is going to be a pure pocket QB unfortunately and needs an elite line, a very elite line. The other 4 QB’s all have amazing play extension ability. 

Big fan of the Top 5 QBs of this draft. Good QB draft class. 

Do the Raiders have like a really elite line? Who’s at RT especially if they take Penix at 12?

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Raiders-33.jpg

I hope these years are over… although Telesco’s drafting has been suspect. I thought his 1st Round Pick for the Chargers last year had bust written all over it, and said that in real time. 

1 minute ago, Chali21 said:

Do the Raiders have like a really elite line? Who’s at RT especially if they take Penix at 12?

You build one. The idea of ever skipping a QB prospect you like because you feel you don’t have an ideal situation is the most flawed way of thinking I have ever encountered. You never pass up a QB you like. 

• Like 1