The Official 2024 Raider Draft Day Thread

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

I remember getting crap for saying he was the 3rd best player on his d-line and would rather take Lawrence.  Hopefully we get a chance to reunite that Clemson IDL.

Let’s get it right there was only NYRaider and BayRaider who thought Ferrell was a good pick at #4, everyone realised it was huge mistake. 

On 4/30/2024 at 11:27 AM, ronjon1990 said:

Lol. Tis why I've stuck around since like 06-07. 

I agree, for the most part it’s the differing (and vocal) opinions that I most enjoy about this forum and has kept me around all these years. 

Of course there’s a select few seriously outrageous takes that come up every once in awhile, but that’s to be expected. 

On 4/30/2024 at 10:18 AM, Jerry said:

I remember wanting Montez Sweat or Josh Allen.  Just because their 40-yard dash times were insane.  I tried to buy the hype of Cle, but it worried me that he didn't run the 40.  He didn't look fast in college.  He didn't have any pass rush moves.  He mainly won (sacked the QB) because he overpowered the OT he was going up against.  

But yeah, people on social media and this forum are pretty intense with their opinions/beliefs.

This is the first draft in a while where my mocked first and second rd picks weren’t available and I try to somewhat over draft guys to make it realistic.

had pennix at 13 and max melton at 44

On 5/4/2024 at 11:47 AM, Dessie said:

Let’s get it right there was only NYRaider and BayRaider who thought Ferrell was a good pick at #4, everyone realised it was huge mistake. 

I just remember people giving me flack.  I thought Ferrell could be an average starting DE but wanted nothing to do with him based upon limited athleticism on film to go along with not testing.

39 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I just remember people giving me flack.  I thought Ferrell could be an average starting DE but wanted nothing to do with him based upon limited athleticism on film to go along with not testing.

We all thought he was limited, maybe a good fit for Guenthers scheme but nowhere near worth #4 pick, that was virtually unanimous in here (apart from a couple of posters)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Dessie said:

We all thought he was limited, maybe a good fit for Guenthers scheme but nowhere near worth #4 pick, that was virtually unanimous in here (apart from a couple of posters)

I just remember the hot takes about what he'd do. 

Went from how he'd be a 10 sack guy to 8 sack guy to 6 to 4 to "hes pretty good against the run"......lol. 

Edited by ronjon1990

On 5/4/2024 at 2:47 PM, Dessie said:

I was one and I’m still amazed at how bad he sucks.

1 hour ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I was one and I’m still amazed at how bad he sucks.

To me, the signs were there. He was on a DL with several legitimate NFL prospects and his physical skill profile was the worst amongst them relative to the position they played. I figured he was the guy feasting at Clemson on the backs of his teammates' work. 

Soon as he didn't work out for scouts, that was it, or should've been. I'm usually skeptical of guys coming from NFL talent heavy programs. Someone is probably a supporting player being made to look a lot better than they are. If they at least wow in workouts and drills and have some sort of elite traits, go ahead and take a shot at them being one of the "real" ones. If a guy isn't a physical specimen coming from one of those programs, probably safe to assume they were a beneficiary more often than not. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2024 at 2:12 PM, drfrey13 said:

I thought so too. He has the size, physical traits. Just slow and no real pass rush moves. No twitch. He does not have that dog in him. Lol. I thought he had the potential to hit 8 sacks a season. And be great against the run.  But even that was too much to ask for. 

It’s crazy how Sweat and Burns were considered mid round picks in the first. Both produced on teams with less talent and had pretty great combines. Damn “draft experts” at ESPN and NFL Network getting it wrong.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2024 at 7:50 PM, Jerry said:

I thought so too. He has the size, physical traits. Just slow and no real pass rush moves. No twitch. He does not have that dog in him. Lol. I thought he had the potential to hit 8 sacks a season. And be great against the run.  But even that was too much to ask for. 

It’s crazy how Sweat and Burns were considered mid round picks in the first. Both produced on teams with less talent and had pretty great combines. Damn “draft experts” at ESPN and NFL Network getting it wrong.

I barely ever even bother with them anymore. Too much gushing over a handful of prospects, too little interest shown beyond the top 25 or so. 

I honestly prefer to aggregate the takes on some targeted prospects from folks around here and/or just watch videos if they're available. 

Mel Kiper honestly ran me away from the so-caller experts lol. 

• Like 2

On 5/6/2024 at 7:50 PM, Jerry said:

Sweat had a health issue that pushed him down. He and Burns were considered top 15 picks, but not top 5 picks. Ferrell was considered mid to late first round pick by draft season. That's why it was such a shock to see him go 4th overall.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Sweat had a health issue that pushed him down. He and Burns were considered top 15 picks, but not top 5 picks. Ferrell was considered mid to late first round pick by draft season. That's why it was such a shock to see him go 4th overall.

I remember Sweat and Burns being mid first round picks.  Like 12-24 range.  But yeah.  I don't remember Ferrell being considered a top 15 pick at all.  I don't remember Sweat having a health issue.  Interesting.

42 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I remember Sweat and Burns being mid first round picks.  Like 12-24 range.  But yeah.  I don't remember Ferrell being considered a top 15 pick at all.  I don't remember Sweat having a health issue.  Interesting.

Yeh, Montez Sweat was my 2nd DE after Bosa but it was reported he had a heart issue a very short time before the draft which dropped him substantially, there wasn’t much information about it, seemed strange at the time. With Bosa, Williams gone I admit I panicked and went Ferrell in the me v Mayock thread 😞 😁 should have obviously stuck to my convictions or went Burns or Allen who I liked too!

• Like 1