The Official 2024 Raider Draft Day Thread

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

I feel your pain, I wanted TJ Watt and we took Gareon Conley 😞

I was a tj watt guy that year too

people tried to say I was a legacy homer for it too

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I would have wanted to trade back and grab Lawrence and get Sweat at 24.  Imagine Sweat, Lawrence, and Crosby.  My number one guy was Q and I wanted a DT so bad those years.  We would be spending almost $100 million just on the d-line after getting Wilkins.

Crazy 

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Sweat was taken at #26 by Gruden's brother.  I agree that we sjould have grabbed him at 24 but like some have pointed out that may have taken us out of the running for Crosby who is the best of the class.

Yeah you're right that's true. I remember now people were saying maybe Gruden messed up and told his brother he was looking at Sweat. You know how rumors fly lol.

Edited by raidr4life

On 5/5/2024 at 5:52 PM, Dessie said:

We all thought he was limited, maybe a good fit for Guenthers scheme but nowhere near worth #4 pick, that was virtually unanimous in here (apart from a couple of posters)

I think I wanted Ed Oliver that year. Probably would still have been a reach, but nowhere near the level of Ferrel

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jerry said:

I did not want Gary.  He didn't have the production in college really.  I liked the DE opposite of him I remember.  The DE opposite of him was taken by NE and then I think he retired after like 4-5 years.  So I'm glad we didn't take him either.  

I did not think Gary was going to become as good as he currently is.  I wonder if we would have had the coaching in place to wait for him to grow into what he has become.  I still wouldn't have taken him with the 4th pick though.  He's never had double digit sacks.  We definitely missed by not taking Burns or Sweat.

I don't think Gary was raw coming out. He was not given many opportunities to rush on a tackle's outside shoulder at Michigan. He did have all the hallmarks of a successful edge rusher: size (277 lbs.), length (34+" arms); explosiveness (38" vertical and sub 4.6 40), and quickness at his size (7.26 3-cone). Barring an injury, he was probably always going to be this good. The other guy was Winovich.

I'm also generally against taking a player's success away from him. It's the player himself, not the coaches or situation, that contributes most to a his own success. I wouldn't want people giving other people credit for my talent and hard work. There was a time when people said that Watson would have been as good as Mahomes if he ended up in Kansas City.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I don't think Gary was raw coming out. He was not given many opportunities to rush on a tackle's outside shoulder at Michigan. He did have all the hallmarks of a successful edge rusher: size (277 lbs.), length (34+" arms); explosiveness (38" vertical and sub 4.6 40), and quickness at his size (7.26 3-cone). Barring an injury, he was probably always going to be this good. The other guy was Winovich.

I'm also generally against taking a player's success away from him. It's the player himself, not the coaches or situation, that contributes most to a his own success. I wouldn't want people giving other people credit for my talent and hard work. There was a time when people said that Watson would have been as good as Mahomes if he ended up in Kansas City.

It's crazy because we don't relaly know if they're wrong about Watson being as good as Mahomes if he went to KC.  It's probably true if Watson wasn't a wierdo.  

As for Gary's measurables, I get it.  I just couldn't get over the 9.5 sacks he had over his three years in college.  

On 5/9/2024 at 2:35 PM, RaidersForever said:

I think I wanted Ed Oliver that year. Probably would still have been a reach, but nowhere near the level of Ferrel

I’m not 100%, but I’m pretty sure I was an Oliver guy too. 

On 5/9/2024 at 1:35 PM, RaidersForever said:

I always have an issue with DL with short arms and small hands.  That's why I didn't want him.  I legit go to arm length and hand size and if they don't have knuckles that drag on the floor, I don't want them.  Lol.  It's funny how Crosby has the nickname Condor when his wingspan and arm length are actually shorter than the average DE.  But there's one thing you can't measure, and that's motor and the "DAWG" in him.

On 5/10/2024 at 1:23 PM, Jerry said:

It's crazy because we don't relaly know if they're wrong about Watson being as good as Mahomes if he went to KC.  It's probably true if Watson wasn't a wierdo.  

As for Gary's measurables, I get it.  I just couldn't get over the 9.5 sacks he had over his three years in college.  

Maybe Watson was legitimately great on the terrible team(every aspect of that team sucked from the GM down ). He single-handedly brought them to the playoffs. 

• Like 1