1.10 - JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan - #9

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

nah. everyone knows he'll need time to adapt, and that pushing him too hard is not a good idea.

let Kwesi cook. let O'Connell coach.

I'm excited to see what Darnold can do but there will be a lot of pressure to play JJ if Darold struggles. 

I remember the T-Jack chants and he really needed the time to sit

• Like 1

i just read through our Denver forum's draft thread tonight...

• they were hoping McCarthy would make it past 6 so they could go up and get him. 
  • no one expressed enthusiasm over taking Nix at 12.
  • then they were hoping they'd trade up for... Dallas Turner.
  • we weren't mentioned, but i doubt we're well liked tonight.
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i just read through our Denver forum's draft thread tonight...

• they were hoping McCarthy would make it past 6 so they could go up and get him. 
  • no one expressed enthusiasm over taking Nix at 12.
  • then they were hoping they'd trade up for... Dallas Turner.
  • we weren't mentioned, but i doubt we're well liked tonight.

In the end it wont matter if Nix is better, but I'm happy to know that the Vikings at least had a choice and made a decisive decision on the choice of McCarthy over Nix. I'm still curious if they liked Penix more or not (we'll never know now), but as I've said in the main draft thread I'm just glad the Vikings staff had some conviction for the choice of their desired QB. I'd like to think that the trade up just that one slot was specifically bidding against both the Broncos and Raiders to ensure they got McCarthy and didnt end up being stuck with Nix.

In terms of Turner, I'll just say I think even the Vikings staff (FO/Coaches) were probably in shock that they could parlay that 23rd pick into a fairly reasonable move up for Turner which likely seemed like a pipe dream when they originally were thinking who might fall to them at 23 (or perhaps even in range of a slight trade up).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Kwesi: "The thing I've learned about him is his emotional intelligence is a super power."

I cant say I know exactly what Kwesi means by that, but I assume his emotional maturity was a huge draw. I'm just making some conclusions based on things that came out after last years draft about Will Levis and Jaren Hall, but there was definitely talk about Will Levis having some ego/attitude turn offs and then you listen to some of the videos from the Vikings staff after drafting Jaren Hall which specifically mentioned his maturity and accountability, leads me to believe that the organization really takes a lot of the "character" aspects (maturity, ego, accountability and such) quite highly into consideration.

Its also a really small thing, but I love that JJ McCarthy regularly celebrated touchdowns with his teammates. Totally a "nobody went to his birthday party" kinda thing but I still think those things show something towards how guys get along with their team.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ares Caesar said:

Its also a really small thing, but I love that JJ McCarthy regularly celebrated touchdowns with his teammates. Totally a "nobody went to his birthday party" kinda thing but I still think those things show something towards how guys get along with their team.

bingo.

what Kwesi meant by the emotional intelligence as a superpower (I posted the video of K's answer somewhere in the forum) is that he attracts and promotes and encourages the players around him, in a way (to use Kwesi's words) that can only be seen as akin to love.

so Kwesi is highlighting JJ's ability to make the players around him better by being genuine with them, that's what he means by emotional intelligence.

oh, and he's all of 21 years old. Kwesi is an analyst and stock trader by nature, he just invested in an IPO that he feels is going to soar.

Edited by vike daddy

• SemperFeist changed the title to 1.10 - JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan - #9