NFCN Rivals 2024

dll2000

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

They didn't stick to that plan and it was not a realistic plan.  Both sets of coaches were serious lame ducks.  That makes a difference. 

Yep, at least in MN it looks like they have an idea of where they want to get to.  Getting rid of a decent-good QB in order to realize a vision for a team is not a desperation move.  I remain convinced the Bears would have moved up for Mac Jones or anyone if Fields hadn't fallen. 

And it also makes a large difference when media is reporting the rookie is looking way better than the starter.  Losing games and a stadium full of boos week after week and bad press and your owner is like, what the heck are we doing here people?  This isn't working.  

As lovely a place as Minnesota can be, I don't think they have quite the mass or intensity of NFL fan.  Media always say the Chicago market is different, and without having a real basis for comparison I can only accept that, so it seems like the leash is naturally a little longer in MN.

That pressure is real.  And I predicted it would happen with both with MT and Fields before the season.  That is a major reason I said give them all the reps.  It was because I thought they were going to be forced to play regardless.  So give them the reps to prepare them so they can survive.  

Treu again. And you know what feels really amazing? NOT being able to see the ways things are going to go wrong. Even when I've felt optimistic about the Bears (like last year!) people on here have made some pretty good arguments for cooled expectations. I remember I actually thought Epyon was being sarcastic last year about Fields, and no, he was shaded in his view and was largely proved right about the result.  This time though...  I guess we could have done more on OL? Flus and Waldron haven't shown anythign special?  There really isn't much ammo in the downer side of things.  The people that seem the most down on the Bears seem to be largely in our division.  Perhaps they are just as used to the Bears rake stepping as we are, perhaps it's partly wishful thinking, but there's good evidence for at least the process and personnel being sound.

Poles has publicly said there has been no extension for Flus yet.  But there is no pressure to go deep in playoffs or even make the playoffs or else.  It is just start developing Caleb.  

Did not know that.  He's de facto tied to Flus in my eyes by having the opportunity to change HC and not taking it.  If Flus does flame out will he get to hire another HC because the Bears (as usual) are reported to have arranged Flus for him? No idea, but honestly I would feel better knowing we're riding with Flus for at least 2 years as the cyclical drama of Bears staggering all their big decisions would be... staggering. 

MN and NE fans are more willing to be patient and do the sit a year plan.  Neither coach is a lame duck.  They can play whoever at QB.  Or MN can.  NE may be getting a little hungry, but they know that team is bad right now.  

The only way I see Flus loses his job this year is if the Bears have a truly awful season.  Like 4 or 5 wins and a lot of bad losses.  Or he loses the locker room ala Trestman.  Or both.

Speaking of stashing... just for the sake of the game I hope they really hold Maye back until he's ready. That guy is super talented and I still feel like he has a shot of being the best QB in this draft if not spoiled early. Let's hope.  McCarthy seems like a good guy as well but with Maye theres a talent level that would a shame to waste. 

5 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Speaking of stashing... just for the sake of the game I hope they really hold Maye back until he's ready. That guy is super talented and I still feel like he has a shot of being the best QB in this draft if not spoiled early. Let's hope.  McCarthy seems like a good guy as well but with Maye theres a talent level that would a shame to waste. 

Maye went to an awful situation.  I like his talent too.  Prototypical NFL QB.  Wouldn't be first time.

The guy currently starting for MN had many of same specs coming out.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

Minnesota's new all whites are fresh AF

Been wanting chicago to do those forever - all whites with a white helmet and orange bear logo.

And they're wearing them on MNF against the Bears

It would be cool if the Bears wore their orange helmets and jerseys that night

• Like 3

6 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

And they're wearing them on MNF against the Bears

It would be cool if the Bears wore their orange helmets and jerseys that night

I’m more a fan of the navy-on-navy look that they almost never do. Bears giving us an all white “Polar Bear” look would go so hard though… 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

hey guys, just coming in to wish you the very best this coming season. i always root for the cellar dwelling teams to see the light of day.

Bears fans have plenty of sunshine to look forward to!

This is like a completely backhanded compliment, and my only issue is I have no disagreements with it. lol

• Like 2

On 6/5/2024 at 4:18 PM, dll2000 said:

With that said, here's what we can say about McCarthy so far. After two days of minicamp, and with one final week of OTAs remaining, he's squarely behind veteran Sam Darnold on the depth chart. During the practices open to reporters, Darnold has taken nearly all of the first-team reps, and more often than not, veteran Nick Mullens has been the next quarterback to step in followed by McCarthy and then Jaren Hall.

But for McCarthy to make the kind of progress where he can legitimately challenge Darnold, he’ll need to demonstrate a working mastery of the playbook on and off the field. It doesn’t sound like Kevin O’Connell is taking a simplified approach to the playbook for McCarthy, but instead is having him learn the whole thing. The simplified approach can be a necessity when time is short, but it’s also more limiting especially after a couple games when defenses figure out it’s a limited playbook. So given that the Vikings don’t have a timeline for when McCarthy will start, allowing him all the time he needs to develop a working mastery of the playbook makes sense and won’t be as limiting once he does start.

One sign of how the Vikings view McCarthy’s development is what they do with Nick Mullens. Mullens is seemingly QB2 at the moment, working with the starters but getting few reps- most of them going to Darnold. In that sense Mullens seems more like a place-holder at the moment. McCarthy’s first step would therefore be to overtake Mullens and work with the first team alongside Darnold in practice. I would imagine he’ll get that opportunity over the course of the first couple weeks in training camp and his doing so would probably be the preferred outcome and timing for the Vikings.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2024/6/14/24177343/when-will-jj-mccarthy-be-ready-to-start-and-when-should-he?

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 2

On 6/6/2024 at 7:25 AM, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

As for Flus' security,  I'm pretty vocal on being critical of him, but I hope and would honestly expect they have either extended him quietly or at least told him he's got all of his 4 year contract to figure things out.  Even the most McCaskeyish owner would have to understand at this point that if you're going to choose to not align your hires and QB you really need to commit to it to make it work. 

I don't see him not getting all four years and very possibly an extension.  While fans seem to narrow their focus to only the W/L I believe Poles criteria is vastly different.  What Flus showed in spades no other coach since Lovie has done is major skills in keeping his team focused and upbeat through adversity.  He's shown he knows how to manage his players and not lose their trust in him.

That kind or leadership is valuable because whatever Flus may lack as a teacher or a strategist Poles can buy for him in the way of his coaching staff.  In fact that's precisely what he did this offseason keeping the best of who he had and replacing the others and even adding to the staff.  Unlike the "old days" the Bears are willing to spend big time on coaching now and it shows.

Jeremy Fowler, ESPN:

Sam Darnold, the Vikings believe that there is untapped potential here, that there’s a lot of ability. He’s never had a supporting cast quite like this. So they believe he can not only start games but potentially thrive if everything goes well.”

"So their plan would be to sit J.J. McCarthy to a unknown amount of games, whether it’s a full season, however many games, they believe that if he could learn a high volume passing system behind the scenes, at least for a little bit, it would be good for him.”

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/mn-vikings-rumors-sam-darnold-jj-mccarthy-news/?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Jeremy Fowler, ESPN:

Sam Darnold, the Vikings believe that there is untapped potential here, that there’s a lot of ability. He’s never had a supporting cast quite like this. So they believe he can not only start games but potentially thrive if everything goes well.”

"So their plan would be to sit J.J. McCarthy to a unknown amount of games, whether it’s a full season, however many games, they believe that if he could learn a high volume passing system behind the scenes, at least for a little bit, it would be good for him.”

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/mn-vikings-rumors-sam-darnold-jj-mccarthy-news/?

When Darnold first left Jets I pondered bringing him to Bears.  I would not have hated the move in real time as I too thought there was untapped potential. 

Shanahan said same thing.  He has talent. Why he was drafted  high and is still in league. 

Evidence thus far says no though.  He failed in NY and Charlotte.  You can blame that on dysfunctional franchises, but it still happened.   

But he actually had a chance to win 49ers job over Purdy and didn’t.  May not be a huge knock as everyone underestimates Purdy.

Maybe it will be different with Jefferson and good weapons and a relatively good Oline.   A good team with an avg. QB can be good. 

We will see.   I think at this point he probably is a journeyman QB.  

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

When Darnold first left Jets I pondered bringing him to Bears.  I would not have hated the move in real time as I too thought there was untapped potential. 

Shanahan said same thing.  He has talent. Why he was drafted  high and is still in league. 

Evidence thus far says no though.  He failed in NY and Charlotte.  You can blame that on dysfunctional franchises, but it still happened.   

But he actually had a chance to win 49ers job over Purdy and didn’t.  May not be a huge knock as everyone underestimates Purdy.

Maybe it will be different with Jefferson and good weapons and a relatively good Oline.   A good team with an avg. QB can be good. 

We will see.   I think at this point he probably is a journeyman QB.  

The history of the NFL is full of guys with all the physical tools who didn’t pan out. The Kyle Bollers of the past had everything Darnold has. 

• Like 1