2024 Day 3 NFL Draft Thread

CWood21

23 minutes ago, R T said:

In the past 10 years the list may include Casey Hayward, Micah Hyde, J.C. Tretter, Martinez, MVS, Lazard, Savage, Davon House, Matt Flynn. 

I'm sure some on this list will freak a few people out because they had their feelings hurt at some point by a few of them. 

That was my general point.  I liked most of these players, but completely understand the reasoning behind not retaining all of them. And the only one that really bit us was Hayward.  And as far as I know, the only ones that were priced out were MVS and Lazard.  The rest, we didn't show much interest in retaining anyway.  

1 hour ago, R T said:

In the past 10 years the list may include Casey Hayward, Micah Hyde, J.C. Tretter, Martinez, MVS, Lazard, Savage, Davon House, Matt Flynn. 

I'm sure some on this list will freak a few people out because they had their feelings hurt at some point by a few of them. 

Edit. Looking at some older ones, Daryn Colledge signed a sizable 5-year, 2nd contract with the Cardinals in 2011.

No agenda here, but would you consider picking up the 5'th year option as a second contract?  As in with Savage?

Not sure if I do, or do not.  That 5'th year option is an interesting one.

And...do we consider Love to be on his 3rd contract with GB already?  

1 hour ago, R T said:

Edit. Looking at some older ones, Daryn Colledge signed a sizable 5-year, 2nd contract with the Cardinals in 2011.

When the 2nd contracts most of these guys signed are taken into consideration, they were all probably easy decisions for GB to make. 

GB fans bring up Hayward and Hyde all the time as examples of mistakes GB made with letting FA's go.  When those guys left GB, the decisions weren't controversial in the least.  Hayward was finally able to stay healthy after leaving GB, while BUF changed how Hyde was used.  Those were new factors that led directly to their improved production.  I don't remember many GB fans wanting to give Hayward a sizable 2nd contract.  Hyde had some defenders, but most were ready for him to move on.  Hyde being miscast during his time in GB has already been beat to death.

6 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

When the 2nd contracts most of these guys signed are taken into consideration, they were all probably easy decisions for GB to make. 

GB fans bring up Hayward and Hyde all the time as examples of mistakes GB made with letting FA's go.  When those guys left GB, the decisions weren't controversial in the least.  Hayward was finally able to stay healthy after leaving GB, while BUF changed how Hyde was used.  Those were new factors that led directly to their improved production.  I don't remember many GB fans wanting to give Hayward a sizable 2nd contract.  Hyde had some defenders, but most were ready for him to move on.  Hyde being miscast during his time in GB has already been beat to death.

First off, I agree.

But second off, I remember being on a board, maybe it was this one, maybe not, but after Hayward left, he didn't get much of a sizeable deal.  Most thought that at that price, maybe he should have been brought back.  But, topic quickly moved on, then Hayward had a great season and then there was just a little more chatter.  And it revolved around how he could have been worth it on that deal that he signed, just because it was kindda low.  3 years, 15.3M.  2.5M signing bonus.

5 hours ago, vegas492 said:

No agenda here, but would you consider picking up the 5'th year option as a second contract?  As in with Savage?

Not sure if I do, or do not.  That 5'th year option is an interesting one.

And...do we consider Love to be on his 3rd contract with GB already?  

No.  5th year option is the first contract.  

Jordan Love is technically on his third contract, but it is kind of an odd situation.  It is kind of similar to the franchise tag.  If Aiyuk ends up getting the franchise tag, I won't call that his second contract, even if it is matter of factly true.  

50 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

No.  5th year option is the first contract.  

Jordan Love is technically on his third contract, but it is kind of an odd situation.  It is kind of similar to the franchise tag.  If Aiyuk ends up getting the franchise tag, I won't call that his second contract, even if it is matter of factly true.  

Yeah, they basically gave him an advance on his 5th year to lower the hit this year but didn’t add any new time to the deal. It technically was a new contract but I’d say it was just a reworking of the 5th year option. This new extension was the third commitment but second contract that the team made for Love as far as I’m concerned. 

30 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Wasnt hayward like remarkably efficient in slot as a rookie?

He was really good as a rookie, but I thought he played outside. I want to say injuries got him after his rookie year. Might have been hammies at one point. 

Edited by Old Guy

13 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

Wasnt hayward like remarkably efficient in slot as a rookie?

The problem with Hayward was that he just couldn't stay in the line-up because he was always hurt.  He even got votes for ROY in 2012.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HaywCa00.htm

PFR has him playing in all 16 games in 2012, 14, and 15.  But I recall him always being on the injury report.  I don't know if he dropped out of games, or if he never practiced and was out there for 8 special teams snaps, or what.  

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

The problem with Hayward was that he just couldn't stay in the line-up because he was always hurt.  He even got votes for ROY in 2012.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HaywCa00.htm

PFR has him playing in all 16 games in 2012, 14, and 15.  But I recall him always being on the injury report.  I don't know if he dropped out of games, or if he never practiced and was out there for 8 special teams snaps, or what.  

That's funny, I remember Hayward being out a lot as well. Maybe is was after beint out a lot in 2013 he just wasn't that good any longer. Which is why we let him walk. 

I remember Hayward played exclusively in the slot due to Williams and Shields manning the outside. Capers never really considered him an outside order and it took Hayward leaving Green Bay to showcase exactly what he was capable of.

TT struggled to evaluate him and Hyde because Capers never played them in their best positions. we kept drafting defensive backs as well as poorly timed injuries which muddied the picture further and using the information they had on hand decided to move on from them.

Capers certainly didn't help as he had some weird preconceived notions when it came to defensive backs and it blinded him to what the player was actually capable of. First Hayward, then Hyde and then did it again with Randall. They all ended up doing better on other teams playing in their natural positions. He also had his favourites and made them undroppable so it was hard for any of them to get proper opportunities.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1