NFL General - Steelers Forum

steelcurtain29

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

What the actual flying F?

Showed well in limited PT...figured a team with a lot of cap room would throw a ton of $$$ his way.

I expected closer to AAV of $5-6 mill but the Browns had $100 mill in cap room before the Taylor and Landry deals.

What did you expect?

Not stupidity. The issues with something like this is a backup OT just got $18 mil guaranteed, $8 mil per year. You know what happens? Other backups want that. IMO that’s starting OL money. So that prices is out of OT depth, and now we got to use a pick on shoring that up since Hawkins hasn’t proven anything. 

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Not stupidity. The issues with something like this is a backup OT just got $18 mil guaranteed, $8 mil per year. You know what happens? Other backups want that. IMO that’s starting OL money. So that prices is out of OT depth, and now we got to use a pick on shoring that up since Hawkins hasn’t proven anything. 

Because that is starter money for a RT and Hubbard will be starting.  It is is more than I thought he would get.  I hope to see a 4th round comp out of this

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

Because that is starter money for a RT and Hubbard will be starting.  It is is more than I thought he would get.  I hope to see a 4th round comp out of this

Pretty much this...he was going to be someone’s starting RT going into the 2018. They had to overpay a bit but $7.5 mill AAV is avg RT $$$ in a year or 2.

4 hours ago, 1BackInBlackFan said:

Lets see how Hubbard does without Munchak's coaching.

Exactly.

Thats a big concern I would have.

Guy has looked good for one year,  and looked pretty terrible prior to this year.   Now, maybe he just needed some playing time and he will be very good for the Browns.   Or, maybe he is just another example of how good Lord Munchack can make any lineman off the bench look.

Praise be to Munch. 

Eagles resign Nigel Bradham, someone I really wanted. 

But it puts Mychel Kendricks on the trade block. We should be calling them on that one. 

FWIW; also read all the work done by the FO gives us $30 mil in space pre-Bell signing. 

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

the latest from spotac shows the Steelers with 8M in cap space.  This is not reflecting Michell or Wilcox releases ( as they have not happened yet).

That’s because Spotac is already accounting for Bells tag. We have to stay that much under, but it technically isn’t part of our cap until Bell signs it. The reasoning is if we come up with a contract. Then there isn’t dead money from the Tag, unless he signs it and we integrate into the new deal. 

So that $8 mil + $16 mil (tag) + $6mil (Mitchell and Wilcox happening today) = $30 mil

if we rescinded that tag we could theoretically go ham on defensive players. 

18 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

I’m guessing the Steelers don’t release both Mitchell and Wilcox, at both at the same time unless they have a replacement lined up.

I think they will. 

It it feels like the year we chased Dexter Jackson and ended up with Troy Polumalu. IIRC we did release our SS depth that year. Call it a gut feeling but either they really like someone in the draft or feel FS is better for Davis and there’s a SS out there to be had cheap. 

Archived