Post-Draft Chat

Grade Telesco's first draft as Raider GM  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Telesco's first draft as Raider GM

2 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Exactly! More weapons and a strong Defense to back him. I wanted him when we signed Garappolo last year, without getting into a debate about one of our former QB's, I've always said this team could win with a perceived lesser talented QB, who did the little things and played with fire and grit made plays with his legs and just showed a never quite attitude.

Ive always said that. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

The draft was good. JPJ is my favorite pick like many have said. I am fine with the Bowers pick, but I still have questions regarding the opportunity cost and how good of a prospect he really is. I never heard of Glaze before, but he looks like as good a tackle prospect as you could get in round 3. I wish they added more speed at receiver. I am fine not picking a QB.

My biggest takeaway, and disappointment, is how much confidence the team has in Minshew. Telesco said in his latest press conference that Minshew is the presumptive starter. Is Minshew that good and O'Connell that bad for there not to be an open competition in camp? In that case, I guess it makes sense that speed at receiver was not a priority. 

We have a speed receiver adding a speedy vet won't hurt tho.

10 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Minshew just got Pittman paid with 109 receptions. The Colts were very competitive and almost made the playoffs if it wasn't for Stroud.

His numbers were basically identical to AOCs.

23 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

11 yards rushing vs 100 yards rushing.

Minshew is a finished product, while AOC will "start" his 2nd NFL season and first full NFL offseason.

AOC can develope and grow from last year, while Minshew is a "non commoditiy"

Just listening to the Tom Telesco presser, one thing caught my attention when he said: '30% of these rookies will actually play significant snaps their rookie year so the thought that you're filling needs on Day 2 and Day 3 may look good on paper but it's just not reality'  also mentioned that they're looking for traits and the players Day 2 and Day 3 may have a role short term but with a couple traits that may lead to being a starter down the road.

Interesting insight into the philosophy of the new GM.

Also specifically mentioned not 'reaching' to fill a specific need if players on their board are not there.

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 2

I liked this draft. Felt like it was ran by a longtime executive. Didn't panic, added some starters and good depth across the roster. Matched personalitie to the coach.

Landed two studs in round 1 and 2. Didn't panic at QB and waste a pick day 3. I'm not trying to sell myself on a pick after the fact as in years past.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

You think a 6’3 250 guy running a 4.6 can play everywhere ok…

care to elaborate just a lil more. What am I missing?

He played everywhere at Georgia. Inline TE, in the slot, in the backfield taking handoffs. He's also a very willing blocker. He did it all and at a very high level, enough to be considered blue chip by everyone and one of the better TE prospects in recent memory. 

He also ran a 4.53 at his pro day. Bowers is absolutely athletic enough to do the things he did in college at the next level.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

He played everywhere at Georgia. Inline TE, in the slot, in the backfield taking handoffs. He's also a very willing blocker. He did it all and at a very high level, enough to be considered blue chip by everyone and one of the better TE prospects in recent memory. 

He also ran a 4.53 at his pro day. Bowers is absolutely athletic enough to do the things he did in college at the next level.

You know pro day times are always more generous than combine. Also everything doesn’t translate to the nfl all the time. 

• Like 1

Just now, NCOUGHMAN said:

You know pro day times are always more generous than combine. Also everything doesn’t translate to the nfl all the time. 

Fair enough, you're obviously entitled to your opinion. However Nick Saban himself said Bowers is the most pro ready player in the entire draft. Of course oddities happen like Aaron Curry, but I think the floor for Bowers is a top 15 TE with the potential to be TE1 once Kelce retires.

He's a phenomenal prospect and I think he'll be a fan favorite for a very long time.

• Like 1