53 Man Roster thread

Old Guy

5 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I love how we have taken to dogging Andy Herman, like he has done anything wrong.  LOL.  He is catching strays for no other reason than we think it is funny.  

Andy, if you happen to read this, keep doing what you're doing, we're just jerks on the internet.  HAHAHHAAHAHA!

Oh for sure am a fan of all the updates at practice.

He just has the audacity to post grades with less than complete info that forms a narrative. PFF can catch these hands too for the same reason.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

This is an interesting take. Other than #1 on the list, I'm not certain any of the other 4 have locked up a spot. 

5 Packers Who have Locked Up a Roster Spot Before Preseason Finale (msn.com)

Here is the other side of the locks. I'm not sure about 3 and 4. I have no problem with 3 and could make a case for #4. 

4 Green Bay Packers veterans who will be cut before Week 1 (msn.com)

The first article has conflated kevin king, stokes, and kalen king. Incredible.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Worth monitoring who's taking the ST snaps among the fringe guys. Per JSO, the Packers practiced kickoff return, kickoff coverage, and punt return on Wednesday

• Kickoff coverage: Anderson and Rochell were with the first unit, Welch with the second.
  • Kickoff returns: Anderson, Welch and Rochell were on the front line with the first unit.
  • Punt return: Rochell and Anderson were hold-up guys against the gunners on the first unit.
  • Punt coverage (vs DEN): Welch and Anderson were with the No. 1s.  Rochell was out so Bisaccia could get a look at Heath and CB Gernon Green as gunners.

This points to Rochell and Anderson being in a pretty good spot to make the 53, and Welch certainly has ST value going in his favor.

I'm more convinced than ever that Anthony Johnson Jr isn't making the roster. You obviously got 3 safeties ahead of him in the starting lineup and then you have Anderson taking loads of snaps on special teams. You also got another draft pick with Oladapo. There's simply isn't going to be room for him on the roster.

Herman's take that AJJ is a lock to make the roster is looking worse and worse by the day.

As for the bottom of the cornerback depth chart its looking very murky. Rochell is obviously a key ST player. Herman seems to think Kalen King is a lock but you also seeing Ballentine on the main ST units too. If we keep Rochell and Ballentine that would make 6 corners. Keeping them would push King out of the 53. Do we have room for a 7th? i'm not so sure.

Edited by Chili

4 hours ago, Chili said:

I'm more convinced than ever that Anthony Johnson Jr isn't making the roster. You obviously got 3 safeties ahead of him in the starting lineup and then you have Anderson taking loads of snaps on special teams. You also got another draft pick with Oladapo. There's simply isn't going to be room for him on the roster.

Herman's take that AJJ is a lock to make the roster is looking worse and worse by the day.

As for the bottom of the cornerback depth chart its looking very murky. Rochell is obviously a key ST player. Herman seems to think Kalen King is a lock but you also seeing Ballentine on the main ST units too. If we keep Rochell and Ballentine that would make 6 corners. Keeping them would push King out of the 53. Do we have room for a 7th? i'm not so sure.

Too many DBs and WRs who may be able to play in the NFL and not enough offensive linemen. Swing a trade. 

• Like 1

The more that I read about and see of Kristian Welch, the more I think he is going to be retained.  How they make that work, I don't know.  I guess the easy solution is to keep Welch over Eric Wilson, but I also really want Eric Wilson on the roster.

As has been stated earlier, this is the year that we end the UDFA streak.  The best UDFA rookie is probably Goforth, but he is like the 8th LB.  

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

The more that I read about and see of Kristian Welch, the more I think he is going to be retained.  How they make that work, I don't know.  I guess the easy solution is to keep Welch over Eric Wilson, but I also really want Eric Wilson on the roster.

As has been stated earlier, this is the year that we end the UDFA streak.  The best UDFA rookie is probably Goforth, but he is like the 8th LB.  

Who is the 5th RB? Very good chance Dillon and Lloyd are not able to go week 1. The streak may live.

If Dillon's neck thing is an issue, he could be waived with an injury settlement. 

Edited by Old Guy

7 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Who is the 5th RB? Very good chance Dillon and Lloyd are not able to go week 1. The streak may live.

If Dillon's neck thing is an issue, he could be waived with an injury settlement. 

Probably Ellis Merriweather.  He has been in the league since at least last season.  Nate McCrary has been in the league since 2021.

QB: (2) Love, Clifford
RB: (3) Jacobs, Wilson, Lloyd
FB: (1) Pearson
WR: (6) Doubs, Watson, Reed, Wicks, Melton, DuBose
TE: (3) Musgrave, Kraft, Sims
OL: (9) Myers, Jenkins, Walker, Rhyan, Tom, Monk, Dillard, Newman, Morgan
DT: (5) Clark, Slaton, Wyatt, Brooks, Wooden
DE: (5) Gary, Smith, Van Ness, Enagbare, Cox
LB: (5) McDuffie, Walker, Wilson, Cooper, Hopper
CB: (5) Alexander, Nixon, Stokes, Valentine, Ballentine
S: (6) Bullard, McKinney, Oladapo, Johnson, Williams, Anderson
ST: (3) Carlson, Whelan, Orzech

IR: Dillon (To Return)

Practice Squad: Kalen King, Robert Rochell, Jonathan Ford, Donovan Jennings, Alex Hale, Ralen Goforth, Kristian Welch, Michael Pratt, Ellis Merriweather, Travis Glover, KaDeem Telfort, Luke Tenuta, Joel Wilson, Malik Heath, Julian Hicks, Keshawn Banks, Lecitus Smith

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

They also might risk it with two, and if they NEED that third guy play some Christian Watson or Keisean Nixon at RB.

And reed.

But man i dont see welch over Wilson.  Not good in space limited side to side athletically and i know its anecdotal but at least one of the broncos big runs came from Welch getting hung up on a block and peaking backside. That might not be the biggest deal but if hes not REALLY good at the one thing hes good for ehhhh. And wilsons one of the OG bisaccia guysm

Unrelated to you.. zayne and rochell over AJJ? Good reason i cant see those posts 

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

And reed.

But man i dont see welch over Wilson.  Not good in space limited side to side athletically and i know its anecdotal but at least one of the broncos big runs came from Welch getting hung up on a block and peaking backside. That might not be the biggest deal but if hes not REALLY good at the one thing hes good for ehhhh. And wilsons one of the OG bisaccia guysm

Unrelated to you.. zayne and rochell over AJJ? Good reason i cant see those posts 

Zayne would be an absolute shocker to me.  Rochell, I am not so sure.  From the limited action that I have seen, Rochell is worthy of a roster spot over Kalen King, at least for this season.  And then it comes down to whether I want to protect Kalen King or AJJ;  given the trio of safeties we just drafted, and McKinney, plus the FA status of Stokes (and I think Nixon), I think I prefer to protect King.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

And reed.

oops, posted before I addressed the Welch-Wilson stuff, haha!

I prefer Wilson to Welch, I think Wilson is a good teams player and a guy that isn't a total liability when asked to play from scrimmage, he has experience in the league so he won't need a bunch of extra coaching.  Welch is cheaper and younger.  I feel like Welch is worthy of a roster spot, just probably not one on a team with the LB group that we have.  I wouldn't have any quarrels with him being LB 4 if we hadn't drafted Cooper and Hopper.  Perhaps he gets a roster shot with Baltimore or Denver, after practicing with them this offseason (I won't even pretend to know their depth).  

• Like 1

Did they remove the restriction that in order to return from IR (if you are placed there to start the season) you need to be on the initial 53 man roster?  Ie, if Lloyd is going to start the season on IR (able to return) we don’t need to cut someone else on our initial 53?  

27 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

Did they remove the restriction that in order to return from IR (if you are placed there to start the season) you need to be on the initial 53 man roster?

Yes.  Now the player can return after 4 weeks, and doesn't have to be named to the 53.  I think 2 players can qualify for this.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Yes.  Now the player can return after 4 weeks, and doesn't have to be named to the 53.  I think 2 players can qualify for this.

Correct, every person doing a 53-roster prediction should have 2 players also starting the season on IR. The NFL expanded the rosters to 55 without officially expanding the rosters to 55.