53 Man Roster thread

Old Guy

23 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

I think Wilson has the team made. He's actually a starter in their base defense, and was a key special teamer last year. For Welch to make the team it looks to me like they either have to go with 6 LB's or put Cooper on IR. 

He is? 

Here is my shot after the third preseason contest.

QB:  Jordan Love, Michael Pratt (2,2)

RB:  Josh Jacobs, AJ Dillon, Emmanuel Wilson [Marshawn Lloyd] (3,5)

TE:  Luke Musgrave, Tucker Kraft, Ben Sims (3,8)

WR:  Christian Watson, Romeo Doubs, Jayden Reed, Dontayvion Wicks, Bo Melton (5,13)

OL:  Rasheed Walker, Zach Tom, Jordan Morgan, Kadeem Telfort, Elgton Jenkins, Sean Rhyan, Jacob Monk, Josh Myers (8,21)

DL:  Kenny Clark, Karl Brooks, Rashan Gary, Preston Smith, Lukas Van Ness, Kingsley Enagbare, TJ Slaton, Devonte Wyatt, Colby Wooden (9,30)

LB:  Edgerrin Cooper, Ty'Ron Hopper, Isiah McDuffie, Quay Walker, Eric Wilson, Kristian Welch (6,36)

CB: Jaire Alexander, Corey Ballentine, Keisean Nixon, Carrington Vallentine, Eric Stokes, Robert Rochell (6,42)

S:  Javon Bullard, Xavier McKinney, Kitan Oladapo, Evan Williams (4,46)

ST:  Anders Carlson, Matt Orzech, Daniel Whelan (3,49)

This leaves me 4 roster spots and possibly one more IR manipulation.  If we use the IR on Dillon, another RB makes the roster, giving the team 3 active. 

The last 4 in my eyes are:  S Anthony Johnson Jr, OL Andre Dillard, CB Kalen King, WR Grant DuBose.  

My last cut was Travis Glover.  I think it is evident that they like him, with how much PT he got, but he isn't quite there yet.  If we IR a non-RB, Glover is who I protect with a roster spot.

Only PS guy that I am counting on is Henry Pearson.  And I expect that he will get his 3 call-ups reasonably early and end up on the roster later in the season.

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

If we use the IR on Dillon, another RB makes the roster, giving the team 3 active. 

I wouldn't necessarily assume that the Packers will carry 3 RBs into the regular season.  Pretty easy to go into the season with only 2 and have a game day PS call up on a RB.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Kristian Welch (Iola, WI) made a case today. But adding him would likely mean 6 LB's. Hard to see that. Maybe Cooper starts season on IR. Kalen King looked good today. He has a chance of beating out Ballentine or Zayne Anderson.

Think he and Zayne Anderson might be fighting for the same spot.

6 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Well, gotta figure out QB 2 and K and otherwise we are pretty much set. 

Agree, I don't think either are on the roster, Carlson is a big MAYBE. I'm not sold on O-lineman 8 or 9 either, but realize we probably roll with the guys we have. 

10 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Wilson is a starter in base defense. I don't think he is. 

Most assume he is.  From Acme's roster projection.

The Packers return Quay Walker as a full-time starter, drafted two rookies on Day 2 of the draft in April and sat Isaiah McDuffie and Eric Wilson — the two projected starters at 4-3 outside linebacker — in the final preseason game. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

I think Wilson has the team made. He's actually a starter in their base defense, and was a key special teamer last year. For Welch to make the team it looks to me like they either have to go with 6 LB's or put Cooper on IR. 

I don't buy that.

There's going to be 4 LB ahead of him when they're all healthy. In nickle for now will be Walker and McDuffie, in base it will be Walker, McDuffie and Cooper. Hooper will be next man up.

We invested significant draft capital on two new linebackers so its only natural they're going to given the opportunities instead of Wilson.

Wilson has to massively outperform the drafted players and on top of that he's a vested veteran, if he's on the roster for week one his entire base salary becomes guaranteed making him the highest earning LB behind Walker for this season. This is not going to make sense as the 5th LB unless on ST Bisaccia prefers him over Welch who is also a vested veteran.

Wilson genuinely has a number of things going against him.

1. He's 29 years old
2. He's realistically LB no.5
3. He's a vested veteran
4. His base salary is more expensive than Welch

Even if Cooper has a short term injury, if we guarantee Wilson's base salary and then Cooper comes back, I'll bet you that Cooper will go straight into the starting lineup pushing Wilson out and we would still be on the hook for Wilson's salary. We're not going to play base defence often enough to see him get on the field either. It's not great from a salary cap management perspective.

the 5th LB spot will come down between Wilson and Welch. I don't think we will keep both and fully guarantee both of their base salaries. Bisaccia will have to choose. Welch has some advantages, he is 26 years old and has been an ever present on ST preseason units. His base salary is £85,000 cheaper than Wilson. Maybe Wilson is a leader and the Packers may value that more.

It's possible if we cut Tyler Davis who is also a vested veteran then perhaps it could allow us to keep both Wilson and Welch on VV salaries.

When calculating the salary cap only the first 51 players counts towards it so I guarantee that all the vested veterans will count towards the salary cap.

I feel like it would be a smart move to release ALL the on the bubble vested veterans to free up as much cap space as possible and then sign whoever we want back onto the roster after week one. Dillard, Davis, Wilson, Welch, Ballentine, Dillon. If we somehow keep them all it will count towards almost $7.7m of cap space. Cutting some of them will certainly make a significant saving. We got a number of free agents coming up who we may need to pay, Slaton, Myers, McDuffie and Stokes, so every cap space counts

Going off topic here, I have to say that Dillon is a wild card. He's also a vested veteran and he has a very high base salary, 8th highest in fact. He's above Jacobs and there's a realistic possibility that Lloyd and Wilson will outperform him. He's also carrying a bit of an injury so even if we put him on IR he will still count towards the salary cap and his base salary will still be fully guaranteed (I think). Putting him on IR means he won't be able to come back until week 5 (I think). That is not a great use of resources imo.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chili said:

Wilson has to massively outperform the drafted players and on top of that he's a vested veteran, if he's on the roster for week one his entire base salary becomes guaranteed making him the highest earning LB behind Walker for this season. This is not going to make sense as the 5th LB unless on ST Bisaccia prefers him over Welch who is also a vested veteran.

On this vested veteran aspect.  His base salary is $1.2M.  Cutting him to save 300-500K seems like a very small amount with what GB is hoping they can be in 2024

Spotrac has the Packers with 21.3 million and OTC has the Packers 22.6 million under the cap.  Pinching pennies on Eric Wilson isn't making that much of a difference, nor is it needed.  Who are we going to give this extra money to? The only pending FAs that will see a significant contract are Josh Myers, TJ Slaton, and Eric Stokes.  It would be surprising to me if they couldn't extend all three of these guys right now for far less than the reported cap space available.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/overview/_/year/2024

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

• Like 2

QB: (2) Love, Pratt (could see DTR here via late pick trade)
RB: (2) Jacobs, Wilson
WR: (7) Doubs, Watson, Reed, Wicks, Melton, DuBose, Heath
TE: (3) Musgrave, Kraft, Sims
OL: (9) Myers, Jenkins, Walker, Rhyan, Tom, Morgan, Monk, Dillard, Telford
DT: (5) Clark, Slaton, Wyatt, Brooks, Wooden
DE: (5) Gary, Smith, Van Ness, Enagbare, Cox
LB: (6) McDuffie, Walker, Wilson, Cooper, Hopper, Welch
CB: (5) Alexander, Nixon, Stokes, Valentine, Ballentine
S: (6) Bullard, McKinney, Oladapo, Johnson, Williams, Anderson
ST: (3) Carlson, Whelan, Orzech

IR: Dillon, Lloyd

Last 4 out for me were Rochell, King, Mosby, Pearson/Davis

Obvious PS candidates: McCrary, Merriweather, Clifford, Glover, Rochell, King, Mosby, Pearson

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chili said:

There's going to be 4 LB ahead of him when they're all healthy. In nickle for now will be Walker and McDuffie, in base it will be Walker, McDuffie and Cooper. Hooper will be next man up.

When healthy is a key part.  Edge isn't healthy right now and Hooper isn't ready yet.  He's a roster lock.