53 Man Roster thread

Old Guy

39 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

He lit it up in the preseason.  Got my hopes up.  Regular season didn't have vision.  Drop off from Jones was significant.  He looked a lot like Dillion to me.  You seem to be a lot higher on him than I am.  We'll see he'll either end up on the PS or released.  JMO...

He averaged 6.1 yards per carry and had a catch percentage of 80%. 

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

He lit it up in the preseason.  Got my hopes up.  Regular season didn't have vision.  Drop off from Jones was significant.  He looked a lot like Dillion to me.  You seem to be a lot higher on him than I am.  We'll see he'll either end up on the PS or released.  JMO...

I'm not sure I'm high on him. I'm just not down on him. I want to see if the kid can make a second-year leap and what that looks like. I just can't call an undrafted free agent rookie a disappointment. The fact he got on the field is a success in and of itself. 

For me the whole Wilson debate stems from me replying to @R T who surmised he could see 4 RBs making the roster. I agreed stating, IMO, Dillon could play the Deguara role and Wilson could conceivable be RB3. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I'm not sure I'm high on him. I'm just not down on him. I want to see if the kid can make a second-year leap and what that looks like. I just can't call an undrafted free agent rookie a disappointment. The fact he got on the field is a success in and of itself. 

For me the whole Wilson debate stems from me replying to @R T who surmised he could see 4 RBs making the roster. I agreed stating, IMO, Dillon could play the Deguara role and Wilson could conceivable be RB3. 

I think that last bit shows us where Dillon's value truly lies. He can get you through a game and do some special stuff, but he's declined since his rookie year and is a serviceable back until further notice.

Regarding that Deguara role, I think it is going to be taken over by Sims and possibly Davis, if he is all the way back.  I also suspect that Henry Pearson will not make the initial 53 man roster, but will be signed to the practice squad, and elevated if/when the game plan calls for it, and then rostered when his PS eligibility runs out.  

I also think Dillon in 24 is going to be just like Dillon in 23, and 22, and so on.  He will be the number 2 back, probably a little better at pass protection, and probably there will be a couple of AJ Dillon games during the season when he is playing well and gets a lot more carries.  I would also suspect that MarShawn Lloyd will get the limited third RB snaps, and they will probably add in some packages for him, like they did with Dillon as a rookie.  

8 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Regarding that Deguara role, I think it is going to be taken over by Sims and possibly Davis, if he is all the way back.  I also suspect that Henry Pearson will not make the initial 53 man roster, but will be signed to the practice squad, and elevated if/when the game plan calls for it, and then rostered when his PS eligibility runs out.  

I also think Dillon in 24 is going to be just like Dillon in 23, and 22, and so on.  He will be the number 2 back, probably a little better at pass protection, and probably there will be a couple of AJ Dillon games during the season when he is playing well and gets a lot more carries.  I would also suspect that MarShawn Lloyd will get the limited third RB snaps, and they will probably add in some packages for him, like they did with Dillon as a rookie.  

I don't think we drafted LeLloyd in the 3rd round to not play him. A lot of other positions yes, but a 3rd round RB you expect to be on the field. If you look at Dillon's contract, it wasn't a deal given to a guy with a ton of security. 

• Like 1

My stab at the 53

QB: Love, Pratt, Clifford (3) - I didn't want to keep three but it's inevitable

RB: Jacobs, LeLloyd, Wilson (3)

H-Back: Dillon (1)

WR: Watson, Reed, Wicks, Doubs, Melton, Heath (6) (hardest cut was Dubois just don't know enough about him to displace Heath)

TE: Musgrave, Kraft, Sims (3)

OL: Walker, Jenkins, Meyers, Rhyan, Tom, Morgan, Jennings, Monk, Glover (9) 

Offense: (25)

DE: Smith, Gary, Enagbare, Van Ness, Cox (5)

DT: Clarke, Wyatt, Brooks, Slaton, Wooden (5) 

LB: Walker, McDuffie, Cooper, Wilson, Hopper (5)

CB: Alexander, Stokes, Valentine, Nixon, Ballentine, King (6)

S: McKinney, Bullard, Oladapo, Williams (4)

Defense: (25)

K: Carlson

P: Whelan

LS: Bowden 

Specials: (3)

Thought about keeping a 4th TE vs. Wilson at RB. It likely goes the way of keeping the 4th TE. Wanted another DB as well but not overly fond of Johnson Jr who would likely be 11 IMO. I don't really like our depth on the offensive line either. Carlson wins the kicking battle by default until someone displaces him. No idea who that could be. Maybe Podlesny can do it. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

I don't think we drafted LeLloyd in the 3rd round to not play him. A lot of other positions yes, but a 3rd round RB you expect to be on the field. If you look at Dillon's contract, it wasn't a deal given to a guy with a ton of security. 

We drafted Dillon in the second, and primarily used Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams.

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

My stab at the 53

Thought about keeping a 4th TE vs. Wilson at RB. It likely goes the way of keeping the 4th TE. Wanted another DB as well but not overly fond of Johnson Jr who would likely be 11 IMO. I don't really like our depth on the offensive line either. Carlson wins the kicking battle by default until someone displaces him. No idea who that could be. Maybe Podlesny can do it. 

Who do you think are your last 2 players to make it?  

I don't dislike your list at all, I think your 2 last guys are Wilson and Cox.  IMO that is who you keep AJJ and TE4 over.  But at this point, we're really going on what the guys put on twitter and haven't seen a whole lot. 

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

My stab at the 53

QB: Love, Pratt, Clifford (3) - I didn't want to keep three but it's inevitable

RB: Jacobs, LeLloyd, Wilson (3)

H-Back: Dillon (1)

WR: Watson, Reed, Wicks, Doubs, Melton, Heath (6) (hardest cut was Dubois just don't know enough about him to displace Heath)

TE: Musgrave, Kraft, Sims (3)

OL: Walker, Jenkins, Meyers, Rhyan, Tom, Morgan, Jennings, Monk, Glover (9) 

Offense: (25)

DE: Smith, Gary, Enagbare, Van Ness, Cox (5)

DT: Clarke, Wyatt, Brooks, Slaton, Wooden (5) 

LB: Walker, McDuffie, Cooper, Wilson, Hopper (5)

CB: Alexander, Stokes, Valentine, Nixon, Ballentine, King (6)

S: McKinney, Bullard, Oladapo, Williams (4)

Defense: (25)

K: Carlson

P: Whelan

LS: Bowden 

Specials: (3)

Thanks for your efforts here, in this slow period it allows for some talking points. Most people are going to have the same 45-50 players and the discussion usually ends up about the last few players and they are yet to be determined by a few breaks here or there in TC and preseason games. 

QB - Pratt easily could end up on the PS, he would need to really ball out for the Packers to keep 3 QB's on the 53. Could happen, just not counting on it though. 

RB - No offense, but I think you repeatedly go down an empty rabbit hole with this Dillon take of being an H-Back. He has averaged over 900 yards of offense over the past 3 season which seems to get completely overlooked by many people. Early reviews look like he might have one of his best seasons this year. 

TE - Kraft could start the season on the PUP. 

OL - Hard to imagine they go into the season with 4 rookies as their backups. I know they aren't the shiny new toys, but Dillard, Jones, Tenuta and even *gasp* Newman are going to be heavily in play for reserve OL roles. 

S - You seem to ignore that AJJ has been a starting S all during the off-season work. Yes, it is Bullard's job to take from him, but AJJ skillset should fit very well in this defense as a player who has CB/S versatility. 

K - Joseph is probably the main danger to take the job from Carlson, not Podlesny.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, R T said:

Thanks for your efforts here, in this slow period it allows for some talking points. Most people are going to have the same 45-50 players and the discussion usually ends up about the last few players and they are yet to be determined by a few breaks here or there in TC and preseason games. 

QB - Pratt easily could end up on the PS, he would need to really ball out for the Packers to keep 3 QB's on the 53. Could happen, just not counting on it though. 

RB - No offense, but I think you repeatedly go down an empty rabbit hole with this Dillon take of being an H-Back. He has averaged over 900 yards of offense over the past 3 season which seems to get completely overlooked by many people. Early reviews look like he might have one of his best seasons this year. 

TE - Kraft could start the season on the PUP. 

OL - Hard to imagine they go into the season with 4 rookies as their backups. I know they aren't the shiny new toys, but Dillard, Jones, Tenuta and even *gasp* Newman are going to be heavily in play for reserve OL roles. 

S - You seem to ignore that AJJ has been a starting S all during the off-season work. Yes, it is Bullard's job to take from him, but AJJ skillset should fit very well in this defense as a player who has CB/S versatility. 

K - Joseph is probably the main danger to take the job from Carlson, not Podlesny.  

Thanks for the feedback. You make a good case in each of your notes. O-line is the most vulnerable position from a depth standpoint in my opinion. I'm more hopeful the four rookies impress because none of the guys you mentioned move the needle for me. Have Tenuta and Jones developed in two years where we could play them? I have no idea. 

I'm hopeful Morgan beats out Walker and he becomes our back up swing tackle. That is no easy task for the rookie because Walker was OK last year after he got some reps. I originally had AJJ on the roster then took him off. 

RB, I have no idea other than Jacobs. I just read an article where Lloyd is really impressing coaches with what they have seen so far. It's still in shorts so can't read too much into that. 

Edited by Old Guy

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Who do you think are your last 2 players to make it?  

I don't dislike your list at all, I think your 2 last guys are Wilson and Cox.  IMO that is who you keep AJJ and TE4 over.  But at this point, we're really going on what the guys put on twitter and haven't seen a whole lot. 

Probably Wilson and one of the rookies on the offensive line. I just don't know which one. You could do without Wilson because of Dillon. I want to keep 5 DE's so Cox would stay for me. Can never have enough pass rushers and while we don't know for sure about Cox, even if it's not him, I would keep that 5th spot as a placeholder for another guy who we may not have on the roster right now. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Probably Wilson and one of the rookies on the offensive line. I just don't know which one. You could do without Wilson because of Dillon. I want to keep 5 DE's so Cox would stay for me. Can never have enough pass rushers and while we don't know for sure about Cox, even if it's not him, I would keep that 5th spot as a placeholder for another guy who we may not have on the roster right now. 

I would be hesitant to release any of the OL, unless they just stink*.  In a similar way to how I would cut Pearson, then elevate him, I might do the same with Heath.  We like him, he does some dirty work.  But he isn't the same kind of goon that Lazard was, and I am not super sure that he does anything that Watson or Wicks can't also do.  OR if you really want to get into the weeds, what does Bo Melton do that Jayden Reed doesn't?

But I am getting a little ahead of myself.  This is assuming that Davis comes back 100%, AJJ looks like a legit player in year 2, and nobody regresses.  By the time the second preseason game comes around, someone will have a broken arm, someone else will have a pulled hammy, someone else will have a torn quad.  

[edit] *I should add that if I were subtracting an OL, I am also probably replacing that guy with another OL. It is such an important part of the team, and some guys need a little time to get it.  We have a history of making projects work, Lane Taylor, Lucas Patrick, Sean Rhyan all could have been released as rookies, but they turned out.  

Edited by ThatJerkDave

27 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I would be hesitant to release any of the OL, unless they just stink*.  In a similar way to how I would cut Pearson, then elevate him, I might do the same with Heath.  We like him, he does some dirty work.  But he isn't the same kind of goon that Lazard was, and I am not super sure that he does anything that Watson or Wicks can't also do.  OR if you really want to get into the weeds, what does Bo Melton do that Jayden Reed doesn't?

But I am getting a little ahead of myself.  This is assuming that Davis comes back 100%, AJJ looks like a legit player in year 2, and nobody regresses.  By the time the second preseason game comes around, someone will have a broken arm, someone else will have a pulled hammy, someone else will have a torn quad.  

[edit] *I should add that if I were subtracting an OL, I am also probably replacing that guy with another OL. It is such an important part of the team, and some guys need a little time to get it.  We have a history of making projects work, Lane Taylor, Lucas Patrick, Sean Rhyan all could have been released as rookies, but they turned out.  

The OL puzzle will be interesting. How Rhyan responds to this opportunity in year 3 will be big. There is a path there for him if he’s good enough. After that, it’s how quickly Morgan can show he belongs or not and then the rest of the young guys and Dillard proving themselves. It might be hard to fit it all together perfectly but there should be a quality 5 with decent depth there. 

Heath might not have the same stature to be the goon that Lazard was, but he’s tough and has some violence to his game. I also think he might have more upside than Lazard as a pure receiver. We saw Allen after a few years to develop and he basically reached his cell with us and a HOF QB that he was on the same page with. Heath will grow in his game and I think has better movement skills. That will also be a fun puzzle for the 53. 

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I agree on the O-line. If we subtract we have to add. I'm thinking we find an interior vet that can play all three positions on the cheap. Lucas Patrick type of guy who is a 3-position JAG and can get you through a couple of games. 

As for the WR portion of your post, you could say the same about most of the depth at every position. What Melton does better than any WR we have is run fast. He's the fastest WR we have adn that stretches a defense. I also heard he really looks good. 

I see like 11 people you can put on kickoff unit before getting into starters.. and some of those 11 I'm not sure I'd love. 10 DL seems pretty heavy unless we plan on keeping a bunch of 50 fronts in. Think one or two of cox/wooden/wilson are cut for an AJJ/Davis/Anderson