2025 NFL Draft Thread

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

Do you think the last draft was a one-time thing with 6 QBs going in the top 12?  I'm worried we will have QBs ranked as second round picks that will end up going in the top 15 again.

Yes that was a historical outlier in a deep QB class. I don't think teams will be nearly as high on this QB class as fans/media are right now. 

22 minutes ago, Big Ugly said:

Take a look at Kaleb Johnson...Iowa

I was looking at his stats earlier as well.  He's putting up some pretty good numbers and it looks like he even had a decent game against OSU.  I'm going to see if I can watch his highlights on YouTube sometime.

21 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It looks really good and it's deep. 

I like Omarion Hampton, Ollie Gordon, and Dylan Sampson

This Ollie Gordon?  

RB
Carries:  101 Yards:  384 YPC:  3.8 Long:  27 TD:  4

Hampton and Sampson I understand.  Is Ollie Gordon behind the worst OL in college?

3 minutes ago, Jerry said:

This Ollie Gordon?  

RB

Hampton and Sampson I understand.  Is Ollie Gordon behind the worst OL in college?

Ollie had 2,000 yards / 23 TD on great efficiency and was excellent as a pass catcher last season. Their OL is just terrible this year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jerry said:

This Ollie Gordon?  

RB

I'd buy low on Ollie Gordon. He was amazing last year and has a horrible OL.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Ollie had 2,000 yards / 23 TD on great efficiency and was excellent as a pass catcher last season. Their OL is just terrible this year.

Called it.  Behind the worst OL in college it is. This is why I ask.  Thanks for the info!

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

I have a random question.  Where do you all think Jeanty will be drafted?  If for some reason we drop out of the top 10 and he's still on the board, do we take him in the first?  I'm not really sure what his value is in today's NFL and how other fans view him.  He's having a historic season IMO, and I wouldn't cry if we picked him outside of the top 10.

In the same range that Bijan and Gibbs were just drafted, so like between 7-15. He's definitely a great player but trying to build around skill position guys has been one of the things that has held us back for decades. RB in the first round is a luxury pick and that's difficult to do when you have one of the worst rosters in the league with no QB. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

In the same range that Bijan and Gibbs were just drafted, so like between 7-15. He's definitely a great player but trying to build around skill position guys has been one of the things that has held us back for decades. RB in the first round is a luxury pick and that's difficult to do when you have one of the worst rosters in the league with no QB. 

Well, if we can find a relatively good QB in the draft by trading back up into the first or drafting them in the second and then sign some IOL FAs, we could be setting up our rookie QB to do very well right away.

1 minute ago, Jerry said:

Well, if we can find a relatively good QB in the draft by trading back up into the first or drafting them in the second and then sign some IOL FAs, we could be setting up our rookie QB to do very well right away.

That sounds good in theory but there's always a chance the QB you like goes earlier than you anticipate. So you could potentially get caught with your pants down again prioritizing RB when you don't have a QB. 

Isn't Telesco pretty notorious for not valuing RBs?

3 hours ago, NickButera said:

I think that there are enough good QB's with NFL qualities and high upsides that one or two of the top 4 will become very good in the league. It's rare the top 2 QB's drafted are the best, so even if we draft 8th, or 9th, and 2 get picked before us.....historically speaking we still have a great shot at getting someone who can be good.  

I just think last year was an anomoly. 

This is why I feel pretty relaxed about picking a QB. Whether we end up being top 5, 10 or even in the early teens, I for one like enough prospects to feel like we should come out with someone with traits to be excited about.

And like you say, invariably a couple of QBs from somewhere in the first round turn out to be that franchise guy and it’s not always the 1st or 2nd picked. 

Wherever we land, time to take the punt and hope we get lucky this time!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NickButera said:

I think that there are enough good QB's with NFL qualities and high upsides that one or two of the top 4 will become very good in the league. It's rare the top 2 QB's drafted are the best, so even if we draft 8th, or 9th, and 2 get picked before us.....historically speaking we still have a great shot at getting someone who can be good.  

I just think last year was an anomoly. 

A lot of it is having the right situation for a young QB to come in and thrive. A big part in Stroud/Daniels success was that their team had a great OC

6 hours ago, Jerry said:

Do you think the last draft was a one-time thing with 6 QBs going in the top 12?  I'm worried we will have QBs ranked as second round picks that will end up going in the top 15 again.

To the same extreme? Probably a one-time thing. 

That said, the importance of QB has become paramount as we continue to see good teams struggle with mediocre play from QBs, and quite a few teams could justify taking a QB round 1 if one was available to them. 

I think we are slowly but surely going to see round 1 become "The QB Round" over time. I think more often we're going to see guys who 5, 10 years ago would be 2nd round picks easily being 1st rounders now. The pressure to find a guy is too high and the investment is, ultimately, low. Draft an absolute dud like Bryce Young? Bench him year 2 and move on. 

6 in the first 12? That's steep. But I wouldn't be shocked of we didn't go through a stretch where the average number of QBs taken round 1 didn't skew a good bit. 

I also think we're going to enter a stretch where QBs don't get re-upped as often. Outside of Mahomes, who is the last QB to really justify a massive contract extension? Much less, who really even comes close? Would anyone have truly thought Jacksonville or Dallas we're crazy if they traded Lawrence or Dak this year? They'd get decent returns, and those contracts look more and more like albatrosses with each passing week and loss. 

In a couple of years, I think the QB trade and FA markets really pick up, and I think the effect on the draft is more QBs going early on a pretty routine basis. Superstar QB or bust mentality. 

• Like 1