2025 NFL Draft Thread

12 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Quinn Ewers  or Shadeur Sanders probably hit that top of the 1st round projection, warranted or not. 

Carson Beck is probably right there with those two, though his is actually warranted. 

Other guys:

Riley Leonard

KJ Jefferson

DJU

Will Howard

Tons of potential in this class, but they need to put it all together. It'll be interesting if substance outweighs the crazy hype train guys get. There is absolutely no justifiable reason for Ewers or Samders to be considered 1st round locks, and yet here we are. 

Meanwhile you've got Beck being great, Leonard, Howard, and Jefferson immensely improving their surroundings from objectively poor situations for QBs where they still managed to look pretty solid, and DJU seemingly putting it together and being in a great spot now. 

With the exception of Jefferson at UCF (and I could still be wrong), it genuinely wouldn't surprise me if one of Beck, Leonard, Howard, or DJU put together some ridiculous season and serious Heisman hype. 

Equally, aside from Beck, they could all flop. Leonard is the latest Jack Coan/Sam Hartman, and playing at Notre Dame did zilch for their stock. Jefferson has the tools but a lot to prove after his play diminished at Arkansas. Howard could flourish under Chip Kelly, or he could be Nate Costa and wind up a nobody. DJU probably still carries some level of "bust" label because he was supposed to be the next great thing at Clemson. He looked really solid for Oregon St last year and FSU seems primed for a big year, bit it's his last chance to be a somebody at the college level. 

This upcoming QB better than 2024

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

I certainly hope so for our team’s sake.  

Unfortunately, I don’t see it at this time.  Lots can change though, so I’ll certainly be paying attention.  

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

It has potential to be, but right now that's all is. 

24 gave us:

Caleb Williams- the superstar. 

Drake Maye - 1b talent

Jayden Daniels- out of nowhere riser

Michael Penix- older and boosted by combine

JJ McCarthy - just won a national championship 

Bo Nix- there because enough teams needed a QB and he progressed a ton from early struggles. 

The 6 QBs listed for the 2025 class:

Shadeur Sanders- superstar-lite. 

Carson Beck- 1b option. 

Will Howard*- out of nowhere riser?

Quinn Ewers- around because everyone said he would be 2 years ago...

KJ Jefferson- there because he improved enough? 

DJU- there because he improved enough + crushes the combine?

Leonard- there because he hopes to improve.

There's more of a poor man's 2024 feel to the 2025 class as it currently stands. Most of the projected guys have a lot of ground to make up, despite their pedigrees. But let's be honest, Ewers and DJU are only being given the leeway they've gotten because they were highly touted prospects coming out of high school and Shadeur is being promoted by college footballs own Lavar Ball, while KJ Jefferson is relying on his 1 good year and hopefully a good final year, and Howard is relying on his change of scenery to be relevant at all. 

Compared to 2024, Williams and Maye put on the tape and never really fell off, whether one likes them or not. They were 1st round locks long before the draft season began. JJ won the national championship, something I don't think any of the 2025 guys can achieve (aside from Beck, who has the strongest round 1 grade of these guys by a mile). Nobody would've argued against Penix being a late round 1/early round 2 guy heading into the season. Jayden improved year over year and culminated with a Heisman. Bo Nix improved tremendously over time but was still the 6th wheel nobody really wanted

Howard, DJU, and Jefferson are all going to be 1 year wonders if they do enough to warrant round 1 selections. Sanders doesn't deserve it at this time. Ewers barely does, if you like him enough. Leonard is sort of similar in that he looks great if you like him, mediocre if you don't. 

Outside of Beck, I wouldn't take any of these guys before round 3, and that's despite really liking some of them. 2024's class was a genuine debate around at least 3-4 round 1 guys nearly all year. 

So....yeah the potential is there to be better, but I don't think 2025 holds a candle to 2024 until a few key things happen. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, FloydFan said:

Beck at this point is the only one I care for in the first. 

He's the only clear cut top 10 pick right now.

Things will change and some guys will come on, but this class looks soft unless you're desperate and want to make more out of it than it is. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, big_palooka said:

He's the only clear cut top 10 pick right now.

Things will change and some guys will come on, but this class looks soft unless you're desperate and want to make more out of it than it is. 

Agree wholeheartedly. Gotta let the season come and go but he’s the only one I’d take up there at this time. 

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

They do. That guy for me is Conner Weigman. Excited to see him go this season. 

There are enough guys in this draft with big-time physical traits that one of them will take a step forward. Weigman, Dart, Leonard, even DJ at OSU. 

I definitely look at Beck, Sanders, Ewers as first round locks. Milroe is a massive wildcard under Deboer. If he grows as a passer he's already a lights out athlete.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

The Penn State QB has potential but overall it looks like a weak class. Sanders is a no go for me, will be watching Beck and Ewers to start 

Allair does intrigue me, but his supporting cast does him no favors. 

Sanders is toxic to me as well. Kyler. Manziel, Eli Apple, Eli Manning, Lamar, I don't care. Once your parent proves to be a helicopter parent, I'm out. It becomes a nearly untenable situation to deal with for a professional organization. And unfortunately for Shadeur, Deion looks like a "prime" candidate to be the worst of the worst in terms of meddling above his weight class....pun absolutely intended. 

David Carr was nauseating to me, but at least his job was to give his opinion on football things and for people to not take him seriously. Deion Sanders would be that on steroids with a built-in cult following that may actually become persuasive to a front office, owner, coach, etc. No thanks. 

I feel sort of bad for him, as I don't think he's some totally talentless hack being promoted on his dad's name alone. But so far he's been a D-2 phenom who struggled mightily at the D-1 level and is 100% skating by on his dad doing his best Don King impression. 

• Like 3

On 5/31/2024 at 12:51 PM, ronjon1990 said:

Will Howard*- out of nowhere riser?

Good morning ronjon1990,

The "out of nowhere riser" comes from out of nowhere.  Therefore, Will Howard will not be it.  I'll send him an e-mail to let him know that because you predicted him to be the "out of nowhere riser," he is no longer eligible for the opportunity.  TIA!

Very respectfully,

Jerry