Early predictions: Who is QB1 come week one?

Who wins the starting QB Job?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the starting QB Job?

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

His sacks per pass number was not that bad.  He was ranked 20th  and there were some good QBs with worse numbers.  Now I agree he can improve there and being able to take off once in a while helps to keep the defense honest.  We have to remember he was a rookie and some of this needs to be taught.  There were only 8 QBs that got less time in the pocket than him.  With a minimum of 200 passes Flacco wa the least sacked QB per pass so there is hope for O'Connell.

On another note our OL was better than most people give them credit for too. We need to look at something like sacks under pressure. 

Edited by raidr4life

18 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

You guys crack me up.  AOC is a bum clipboard holder and Minchew is not much better.  This team will be held back no matter which two of these hacks start and our playoff chances will be slim due to below average QB play.  The ****ty part is that Adams will have another wasted season here, will be 32, his stats, similar to last year will most likely suffer and his trade value will be a an all time low.  

This is the exact situation I feared when dip****s JM/DZ got rid of Carr for zero in return and paid him 6M to play last year in NO.  I would venture to say had we kept Carr last year we would have made the playoffs and would also venture to say that our playoff chances would be greater with Carr at the helm this year. 

Jimmy G, Minchew and AOC are the caliber of QB you get when you move on with zero plan in place and I would venture this is the best overall roster we have had in nearly 30 years minus QB.  A young stud QB, a CB1 and a solid RT and we would have a team that could make some playoff noise...  

I just looked back on a Jimmy G thread and the optimism on here regarding his skillset was laughable.  It's truly remarkable how clueless some fans can be... 

It’s Carr fault he’s not a Raider anymore. He was just a level above Jimmy G under McDaniels. It’s not like he set the world on fire with the Saints. Looking like a massive overpay over there

I’d rather have O’Connell and Minshew than pay Derek Carr 40+ million per season for another two years

O’Connell was the second best rookie quarterback in the NFL last season.

• Like 2

Minshew in 12 personnel. 8 touchdowns, 2 picks.

1 minute ago, bucksavage1 said:

He was just a level above Jimmy G under McDaniels. 
I’d rather have O’Connell and Minshew than pay Derek Carr 40+ million per season for another two years

Jimmy was easily the worst QB we saw in the last 2 years. Quite honestly, I don't even think it was close.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Minshew in 12 personnel. 8 touchdowns, 2 picks.

Jimmy was easily the worst QB we saw in the last 2 years. Quite honestly, I don't even think it was close.

Jimmy G was definitely the worst. I’d argue Hoyer was worst but he shouldn’t have been in the NFL though or even starting 

On 5/4/2024 at 5:05 PM, Frankie2Gunz said:

You guys crack me up.  AOC is a bum clipboard holder and Minchew is not much better.  This team will be held back no matter which two of these hacks start and our playoff chances will be slim due to below average QB play.  The ****ty part is that Adams will have another wasted season here, will be 32, his stats, similar to last year will most likely suffer and his trade value will be a an all time low.  

This is the exact situation I feared when dip****s JM/DZ got rid of Carr for zero in return and paid him 6M to play last year in NO.  I would venture to say had we kept Carr last year we would have made the playoffs and would also venture to say that our playoff chances would be greater with Carr at the helm this year. 

Jimmy G, Minchew and AOC are the caliber of QB you get when you move on with zero plan in place and I would venture this is the best overall roster we have had in nearly 30 years minus QB.  A young stud QB, a CB1 and a solid RT and we would have a team that could make some playoff noise...  

I just looked back on a Jimmy G thread and the optimism on here regarding his skillset was laughable.  It's truly remarkable how clueless some fans can be... 

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2024/05/06/worst-nfl-quarterback-rankings-saints-derek-carr-deshaun-watson-bryce-young/

1 hour ago, raidr4life said:

We would be stuck with a declining QB who is making 45M per season. I’d rather pay Minshew 12.5 Million as a back up and see if AOC12 can develop this season. Veteran QB options next offseason look solid

1 hour ago, raidr4life said:

I mean, that's just some dude who isn't even an analyst's opinion. He's just a writer for USA Today. 

Not that I don't disagree with some of takes...but it's not a very reputable source for accurate rankings.

He did have O'Connell ranked 2nd to last. O'Connell was bad but he wasn't THAT bad. Bottom 15 ish in a 36 list I get, but not tied for worst in the league. He obviously hasn't watched all these players he's ranked.  ESPN had him ranked 27th, PFF had him ranked 20th...... this guy's takes are purely just "some random dude's personal take" 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NickButera said:

I mean, that's just some dude who isn't even an analyst's opinion. He's just a writer for USA Today. 

Not that I don't disagree with some of takes...but it's not a very reputable source for accurate rankings.

He did have O'Connell ranked 2nd to last. O'Connell was bad but he wasn't THAT bad. Bottom 15 ish in a 36 list I get, but not tied for worst in the league. He obviously hasn't watched all these players he's ranked.  ESPN had him ranked 27th, PFF had him ranked 20th...... this guy's takes are purely just "some random dude's personal take" 

Jarrett Bailey is a terrible analyst regardless of who you support. I wouldn't take anything he says seriously.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, NickButera said:

Cripes, if O’Connell was ranked that low, what was Garoppolo rated, 40th out of 36? 😂

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 3

On 5/7/2024 at 2:22 PM, NickButera said:

Jarret Bailey's opinion is only good for poking holes into.  Dude clearly doesn't know wtf he is talking about.  

I watched a clip of O'Connell in college, and I hope he continues to get chances.  I hope he takes a major step forward. He may never be a top 10 QB but the guy is likable.  

My uninformed guess is that AOC is gonna be given every chance to win the starting job based on his effort last year -- and we all know (in fairness) JMD and Co did him absolutely no favors and he ended up being thrown to the wolves with little to no development or preparation. With last season in context, AOC did enough to earn a second shot and now it's entirely on him to earn a third shot.

IMHO, Minshew is there in case AOC just simply ain't it. FWIW, I'm starting to warm up on Riley Leonard in 2025.

On 5/5/2024 at 2:53 PM, bucksavage1 said:

It’s Carr fault he’s not a Raider anymore. He was just a level above Jimmy G under McDaniels. It’s not like he set the world on fire with the Saints. Looking like a massive overpay over there

O’Connell was the second best rookie quarterback in the NFL last season.

He really was that’s so crazy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Bradley highlights look good. He could secure the #3 spot. Not sure why he wasn’t drafted 

Interesting. A few nice throws there, like that he stands tall in the pocket and delivered a few whilst getting hit. Trouble is, pretty much every QB looks great on highlights as it’s the nature of the position. 

What did he look like under duress with the pass rush and his pocket presence? Can he go through progressions and can he read a defence? If those things hold up then he has a chance.