Early predictions: Who is QB1 come week one?

Who wins the starting QB Job?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the starting QB Job?

• Aidan O'Connell
    • Gardner Minshew

01hspapjbktgfy49eggp

Exit Jimmy and enter Gardner. The draft also came and went with the Raiders not drafting a single QB. We are seemingly set for a QB preseason battle of Aidan O'Connell vs Gardner Minshew.  

• Who do you have winning and starting week 1?
  • Do they hold the job down for the entire season, or do we pivot to the other at some point?
  • What do you anticipate their stat line will look like?
  • If both struggle, does Brady or another FA come in?
Edited by RaidersAreOne

O'Connell should start if no other quarterbacks get added. O'Connell has a much stronger arm than Minshew and showed high-level accuracy last year. If he's protected and with some development, O'Connell can play at a top-15 level. Hopefully, Getsy allows his quarterbacks to have some command at the line.

• Like 2

I personally think AOC wins it. In the final 4 weeks he put up 8 TDs and 0 picks. He has apparently been working on his mobility a ton too which I hope helps.

It's still a bleak QB room but I think the staff prefers AOC starts and gave Minshew a big-ish deal to take over in case Farva hasn't progressed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:
  • Who do you have winning and starting week 1?
  • Do they hold the job down for the entire season, or do we pivot to the other at some point?
  • What do you anticipate their stat line will look like?
  • If both struggle, does Brady or another FA come in?

Oh, this is a very tight race. 

• I think Gardner Minshew starts week 1 as QB mainly due to his personality, grit and fit with the coaches, I think the coaches will trust him more
  • I think we might see O'Connell at some point as I do se him progressing a little - not to a bona fide starter level but enough to challenge at least
  • If Minshew plays a full season - 3500 yards, 62% comp, 23 TDs, 15 Ints, maybe 200 yards rushing, 35 sacks
  • If O'Connell plays a full season - 3700 yards, 64% comp, 24 TDs 17 Ints, under 50 yards rushing, 45 sacks
  • No, I don't think so - maybe there's a blockbuster trade somewhere for a guy like Prescott? Unlikely though for me

If it's close in pre season, I personally would go with AOC as he's got more scope to improve. It might not come down to raw stats though as last year Jimmy G really held our running game back so it may come down to something like that too. Minshew is the more 'gritty' competitive type, AOC is a better passer but a statue.