How would you rate him so far?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate him so far?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Adofo-Mensah:  "I know my background's unique, but when you think about this job, the job is about making decisions. Building consensus in the building. Combining different sources of information into one answer and having everybody behind it. Along those lines, I don't think there's many people more qualified than I am. Just my background on Wall Street, having the emotional stability to make those decisions at a high level, be accountable to yourself, and kind of learning and growing from that standpoint. That's an education that I'll never fully appreciate.

"And then, really, in my experience in the NFL, I've learned from some great teachers. I went in not thinking I knew anything, and I think a lot of times an impediment to learning is trying to affirm what you already think or just not really being open-hearted, open-minded, about learning. I approach it as, if I'm going to be around great ones, I'm just going to listen to everything they say. So I've built a really strong foundation through that, an ability to really be in every room, talk to every person, really communicate in their language. And that gives me that faith and confidence to make those decisions."

https://www.vikings.com/news/kwesi-adofo-mensah-gm-finding-his-people

• Like 1

49ers GM John Lynch:  "I think the world of him. I think the Vikings — I don't think, I know — they made a tremendous hire. How do I know that? Well, I worked with the guy, and I just got to see firsthand the breadth of all that he brings to the table. I think it starts with the intellect. Obviously he's well-schooled and all of that, Princeton and Stanford for undergrad and graduate, but more so than that, his work ethic, his curiosity to learn different parts.

He was a trader who then got into research and development, analytics. He always hated when we called it analytics. He preferred research and development. Just a very forward thinker, but he wanted to learn about watching football and studying players and did a tremendous job of that."

Browns GM Andrew Berry: "One of the things I told him, even last year when he was going through the process for the first time, is that the interview process, really, is a two-way street. There are a number of good – whether it's a general manager search or head coaching search – a number of good candidates across the league. But just as much as it's about competency and capacity to be in one of those two leadership positions, it also is about fit. Because the role is different, and the characteristics are different, from organization to organization.

"I could just tell with the way that Kwesi was buzzing after the interview where, in my mind, I was like, 'OK, this is really the right place for him. It seems like it's going to fit like a glove.' "

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 2

more from John Lynch: "I know he's ready. He's got to go do it, obviously. Now it just starts, but I believe they've got tremendous people leading the team there in Minnesota.

"I really believe part of life, part of the NFL is leaving the league better, so we all compete against each other, but you love to see people you love and respect go out and do great things. I think that's part of your responsibility. Bill Walsh was someone I was exposed to, and you can hoard people, or you can really wish them the best in the pursuit of their dreams. It just makes me exceptionally proud that I was around Kwesi for this time and hopefully got to help him a little. I know he helped me a ton. While we'll have to compete against each other at some point, I'm really pulling for him and always will be. I'm proud of him. I'm happy for him. I'm also confident that he's going to do a really good job."

Q & A with Kwesi:

Favorite NFL player: "Randall Cunningham, no question. Ultimate Weapon."

What can make you smile no matter what?: "Good music."

Top three favorite songs: "That's a tough question! I would go with So Much Love by Patti La Grande.... I'm a Boss, Meek Mill. I like listening to that before I have important things. And Queen's Bicycle, really love that."

Favorite movie: "I'd more answer that as what movie I can't leave the couch when it's on. Shawshank Redemption, Bad Boyz II, What About Bob?"

How do you describe your overall vibe?: "Just a positive, happy guy. One of those people who they say in your high school year book don't change... I don't plan on it. I enjoy life. I'm so grateful for everything that's happened, so I would say that defines my life."

https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=1850532025142534

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

I wonder why his age is such a mystery. his Wiki page doesn't list his birthday, and lists his age as 40-41.

WE NEED A FULL LONG FORM BIRTH CERTIFICATE!!

Really I just think no where on the internet has he had to report his first birthdays. I’m sure if we were to hire @CalhounLambeauhe could figure it out. He was always good at finding all the college players ages and birthdays.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

I wonder why his age is such a mystery. his Wiki page doesn't list his birthday, and lists his age as 40-41.

WE NEED A FULL LONG FORM BIRTH CERTIFICATE!!

I think it was a misinterpretation of his timeline. A lot of articles state that he graduated from Stanford with his MBA, and that he joined the 49ers in 2013. My guess is that people got the idea that these events happened around the same time. When really there was his time on Wall Street separating them. 

Edited by SemperFeist

On 1/29/2022 at 9:18 AM, vike daddy said:

Q & A with Kwesi:

Favorite NFL player: "Randall Cunningham, no question. Ultimate Weapon."

What can make you smile no matter what?: "Good music."

Top three favorite songs: "That's a tough question! I would go with So Much Love by Patti La Grande.... I'm a Boss, Meek Mill. I like listening to that before I have important things. And Queen's Bicycle, really love that."

Favorite movie: "I'd more answer that as what movie I can't leave the couch when it's on. Shawshank Redemption, Bad Boyz II, What About Bob?"

How do you describe your overall vibe?: "Just a positive, happy guy. One of those people who they say in your high school year book don't change... I don't plan on it. I enjoy life. I'm so grateful for everything that's happened, so I would say that defines my life."

https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=1850532025142534

A man of good tastes!

KAM: "Both of those things are information. Somebody watches a game, a player, right, they're making high level assumptions and observations about what that player's doing. Now, humans are really great at that higher-order, complex thinking. And so, a lot of times, that gift becomes a curse, in a sense, because you sometimes will miss the simple thing. So analytics, or simple observations, allows you to write those simple observations down as data and be able to go back later and study them historically. Very simply, you can go back and say, 'Hey, is there any information that would've helped us make this decision better in the past?'

In a simple manner. But that's the same thing that a scout watches and does with his process. He goes and says 'hey, of all the great players that have come in the league that I observed before, what worked?' What predicted the right thing? And as I said, it's combining both. You appreciate that they're different. You want one to cover the other in terms of blind spots. So really, it's just that combined approach. They honestly are the same thing, they're just two different avenues to get there."

https://www.vikings.com/news/kwesi-adofo-mensah-gm-approach-path

• Like 1

Browns GM Andrew Berry: "He's done everything. He's done a ton of tape evaluation, he's gone on school calls and school visits, involved in everything from free agency and draft meetings. No different than our heads of personnel or scouts. It's an important role because a major part of the role of general manager is talent acquisition and that's a key piece of it. There was no governor on Kwesi in that regard.

You push him off to the deep end, and he very quickly learned how to swim."

https://www.vikings.com/news/kwesi-adofo-mensah-gm-approach-path

i love that last line.

• Like 1

• VikeManDan changed the title to Thoughts on Kwesi through ~3 seasons?