2025 NFL Draft: It is NEVER to early!

We made it to 217 pages of 2024 draft discussion. @vike daddy even started last years thread the day after the draft concluded so we're a few days behind!

Cupboards are pretty bare in terms of draft capital, to my knowledge;

• we have our 1st and two 5ths (our own and the Browns (?)).
  • we'll likely get one 3rd round comp pick for losing Cousins.
  • who knows what happens, if anything, with the Falcons tampering situation.

As of today I'd really like to see another difference maker added to the front-7, specifically on the DL.

• Like 1

I think I generally waited a week to decompress before starting a new year draft thread, but let's go!

I've already read that with how good and deep the offense was in this year's draft, it will be the same for the defense in 2025.  So, expect with the few picks they already have (I'd have to assume the popular idea will be to trade down from whereever they end up picking in the first to add more picks later) for those picks to be defense.  Once again, DL will be on the top of the list (and it appears to be a deep class).  So, these are the names to watch this year:

Mason Graham (Michigan)

Deone Walker (Kentucky)

Tyleik Williams (Ohio St)

Kenneth Grant (Michigan)

Shemar Turner (Texas A&M)

Walter Nolen (Ole Miss)

Howard Cross III (Notre Dame)

Rylie Mills (Notre Dame)

Dontay Corleone (Cincinnati)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

We made it to 217 pages of 2024 draft discussion. @vike daddy even started last years thread the day after the draft concluded so we're a few days behind!

Cupboards are pretty bare in terms of draft capital, to my knowledge;

• we have our 1st and two 5ths (our own and the Browns (?)).
  • we'll likely get one 3rd round comp pick for losing Cousins.
  • who knows what happens, if anything, with the Falcons tampering situation.

As of today I'd really like to see another difference maker added to the front-7, specifically on the DL.

We’re also owed a compensatory pick for losing Danielle Hunter. So that’s two extra picks that we’ll most likely have in the 2025 draft. I think that the most important one is the 1st rounder obviously and I’m glad that we didn’t have to trade it. Some early players that I’m keeping an eye on for the Vikings are Mason Graham, Kenneth Grant and Deone Walker. Next year’s DT class is one of the best in recent years, and I think that we’ll be in the market for one. Mason Graham might be a top 5 pick but his teammate Kenneth Grant is a monster and he’ll most likely be available later in the 1st round. It’ll be cool to draft two Michigan guys with our first pick in consecutive years. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

We lost that projected comp pick when we signed Shaq Griffin.

Either way we’re still owed at least two comp. picks for losing Kirk Cousins, DJ Wonnum, Marcus Davenport, KJ Osborn and Jordan Hicks to free agency. Also we’d most likely get another pick from the Falcons for tampering. We could potentially get 3 additional picks in next year’s draft.

1 minute ago, Purplepride323 said:

Either way we’re still owed at least two comp. picks for losing Kirk Cousins, DJ Wonnum, Marcus Davenport, KJ Osborn and Jordan Hicks to free agency. Also we’d most likely get another pick from the Falcons for tampering. We could potentially get 3 additional picks in next year’s draft.

No, we're not. I also mentioned the tampering situation in my 3rd bullet. I suppose I could've been more clear about the possibility of a pick being awarded.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-picks

OTC, who has been the go to source for comp picks, has us currently projected at 1 compensatory pick.

OUT (6): Cousins, Hunter, Wonnum, Davenport, Hicks, and Osborn

IN (5): Darnold, Cashman, Griffin, Greenard, and Van Ginkel

• Like 1

Keeping our FRP is huge. Could help us recoup some of our draft capital we lost and then some or it could land us a real nice blue chip prospect.

DL, CB and IOL are still needs.

I really would like to see us start investing in the IOL. Could help JJ out significantly.

1 hour ago, Sad People said:

DL, CB and IOL are still needs.

I would agree with these. We have enough dart throws to compete in camp this season so hopefully someone steps up. If not, these positions will be popular targets.

We need Greenard and Turner to be cornerstone players on defense to build around.

I love the DTs and CBs in this class. That's the positions I hope we target in 2025. 

I really like the top 2 RBs, but I can't see us drafting either one.

I don't know much about the receivers but apparently it's a good year again for that position.