Rookie Minicamp Thread

23 minutes ago, rlon said:

Bell also had a good 3 cone and a really good 10-split, so the lack of a good 40 time didn’t matter.  Vvvv

Until he broke into the open and was routinely run down and tackled. Most overrated player in the modern Steelers era = Levon Bell. Simultaneously, he was one of the best receiving backs to play the game. 

Bell was elite yet also had the OL and HOF QB and WR1 to help a bit as we learned after he went to other teams

42 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

Bell was elite yet also had the OL and HOF QB and WR1 to help a bit as we learned after he went to other teams

He was elite within one system…then, what happened?

18 hours ago, warfelg said:

Bell also had a good 3 cone and a really good 10-split, so the lack of a good 40 time didn’t matter.  Supposedly Harris ran a 4.45 40 at Bama, which would have been as fast a Etienne, who was 4.43 at his pro day. Given Bell ran his 10 yard split as fast as Etienne, but a much slower (Bell 4.6) time than Harris is a touch unbelievable.

FWIW 10 yard splits:

Bell - 1.57

Etienne - 1.56

Harris - 1.69*

This would put Harris running his last 10 yards at 2.76 seconds which would be a record.  Just for reference Xavier Worthy, holder of the 40-yard record, covered his last 30 yards in 2.72 seconds (1.49 10 split, 4.21 40 yard).

Harris’s most common comparison is Derrick Henry, who ran a 4.54 40 with a 1.56 10 yard split.

Huh? How can you estimate his splits? You trying too hard lol.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Huh? How can you estimate his splits? You trying too hard lol.

edit : link was for a wrong Najee Harris. 

I didn’t realize there were two guys names Najee Harris and it looks like I accidentally pulled on a LB out of Wagner State names Najee Harris. 

Learn something new every day. 

Edited by warfelg

Either way, I still stand by my point that I was trying to make of Bell was very explosive, almost to an underrated point and Najee isn’t. His reported pro day 40 time of 4.45 when Etienne ran 4.41/4.43 is highly suspect (shockingly Jonathan Taylor was the fastest out of that group at the combine with a 4.39)

Bell was good, but I dont think he would have reached the levels he reached if not for Munchack coaching up our OL.   It sucked before he got here and steeply declined after he left, especially the run blocking.    The only years Pouncey was a good run blocker was under Munch.   I dont think Bell would have been nearly as effective in the post Munch/AB era.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 43M said:

Bell was good, but I dont think he would have reached the levels he reached if not for Munchack coaching up our OL.   It sucked before he got here and steeply declined after he left, especially the run blocking.    The only years Pouncey was a good run blocker was under Munch.   I dont think Bell would have been nearly as effective in the post Munch/AB era.

I hope I'm stating the obvious here, but that's the truth for almost all RB's no? Look at just last year week 1-9 and 10-18 splits in our run game.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I hope I'm stating the obvious here, but that's the truth for almost all RB's no? Look at just last year week 1-9 and 10-18 splits in our run game.

I think the point is that Bell if viewed by some in a generally better light than he should be due to circumstances (OL, QB, WR) around him.

I think a better comparison would be that a lot of RBs would perform at or near Bell's level (in the run game at least) in the circumstances that he had.

Bell was a totally different type of RB than Najee.  Bell had explosive acceleration that once he say the hole he could go through it.  It is very hard to compare him to Najee as Harris do zero combine/pro day tests.  We can only look at what they did as pros.

31 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Bell was a totally different type of RB than Najee.  Bell had explosive acceleration that once he say the hole he could go through it.  It is very hard to compare him to Najee as Harris do zero combine/pro day tests.  We can only look at what they did as pros.

I agree, they're just very different runners.
Bell had great vision and patience. He accelerated in small space more than he was blazing fast.
It's also easy to forget how well he caught the ball. If he didn't lose his focus on football, I think he had a couple good years in him.
Every good o-line has something to do with runners success, as does a poor one.

Harris lacks suddenness, but he's strong and punishing.
Doesn't have breakaway speed, but I wouldn't call him slow. He also has nice hands. But their running style are so different.
I think with an imposing line Harris could be pretty improved and we could see big numbers (from him and Warren).