Detroit signs Jared Goff to 4 year extension worth $212 million/$170 M guaranteed

NVRamsFan

1 hour ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

I didn't know you used stats, casually forgetting the 23 rushing TDs. Good for 3rd in the league. The ignorance you continually show is absolutely hilarious

I'm not ignoring anything. The Lions were not an elite rushing team in 2022. That is evident from a volume and efficiency standpoint. There is a reason why despite leading the NFL in rushing TDs by 4, that Jamaal Williams was not an all pro or pro bowler. Because everyone besides you understands that it isn't very impressive to convert TDs from inside the 3 yard line. Jamaal Williams averaged 4.0 yards per carry with Detroit and 4.0 with GB. He's just an average back that was given an incredible opportunity to score TDs. His YPC in 2022 ranked 33rd. So if he was a great back and the OL was top 3, why wasn't he more efficient? 

All you can do at this point troll or mimic responses. Claiming 7 games of TJ Hockenson and 10 of Brock Wright gave the Lions a top 3 TE in 2022 is probably the dumbest claim I've seen on this forum. I assumed you either thought Laporta played then or that they didn't trade Hock midyear. But to double down on that is nuts. 

There is a reason this forum has a block button and thank you for reminding me of that reason.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Flounch said:

It's how contract work ? IS there a rule written in the law that said the next QB to sign a contract has to be higher than the actual highest paid QB in the league ? 

Just waiting for a brave GM who will say to his QB, i won't give you the highest contract for a QB because you are not Mahomes. 

Is there a rule? No. Obviously not but this has been going on forever. No GM is going to do it because then the onus is on them to find someone better and it’s really not that easy to do. It’s easy in our position as fans to say “just let him walk” but to them it could be the difference between staying GM or starting at the bottom again if it doesn’t work out and they get fired. 

Edited by lavar703
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Soggust said:

I broadly agree with you, but I think that one could make the case that given their lack of championships, that Allen and Lamar haven't exactly proven themselves to be able to carry a team to the promised land either.

I think the narrative that "you need an elite QB who can carry the team" is the real overblown one, tbh.

By carry a team I mean get more wins than the talent would allow for them to get. 

The Chiefs had a great defense but their offensive depth at the skill positions were shallow outside of Kelce and Isiah P. 

On 5/21/2024 at 7:38 AM, Soggust said:

I broadly agree with you, but I think that one could make the case that given their lack of championships, that Allen and Lamar haven't exactly proven themselves to be able to carry a team to the promised land either.

I think the narrative that "you need an elite QB who can carry the team" is the real overblown one, tbh.

There are typically only one or two QBs in the league at any given time who can truly carry a team. If you hold out for ONLY those types of guys you’re most likely going to be searching for a QB for 20 years. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fortdetroit said:

There are typically only one or two QBs in the league at any given time who can truly carry a team. If you hold out for ONLY those types of guys you’re most likely going to be searching for a QB for 20 years. 

Yep.  Too many fall into the syndrome of blaming the likes of a Kirk Cousins contracts for limiting a team.  If the front office can't build a team while paying the going rate for a qb then don't blame the qb.  Good coaches should be able to playing in January even if they don't have a top 3 qb.

10 hours ago, fortdetroit said:

The Lions could have signed Lamar last year at more or less the same contract they signed Goff to, though...

4 minutes ago, General Tso said:

That required first round picks.

Not to mention having Goff on the roster. We'd have been paying between 80-90 million per just to QBs in addition to the lost draft capital.

31 minutes ago, General Tso said:

That required first round picks.

I was just stating the Lions indeed could have signed an elite, difference making QB and chose not to. The previous poster mentioned that it takes 20 years to find such a QB but one was available last offseason.

25 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

Not to mention having Goff on the roster. We'd have been paying between 80-90 million per just to QBs in addition to the lost draft capital.

Presumably if the Lions would have done that they would have sent Goff as part of the trade.

36 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

I was just stating the Lions indeed could have signed an elite, difference making QB and chose not to. The previous poster mentioned that it takes 20 years to find such a QB but one was available last offseason.

I mean, that original point is still true to some extent. How many QBs of Lamar's caliber are on the open market or open market-adjacent every year?

1 minute ago, General Tso said:

I mean, that original point is still true to some extent. How many QBs of Lamar's caliber are on the open market or open market-adjacent every year?

And let's keep in mind that Lamar during Free Agency was not viewed as the same Lamar as today, coming off an MVP season.

I like Lamar and I think he's clearly #2 QB in the league at the moment, but last offseason he had only had 1 MVP, 1 out of 4.5 elite years, injury concerns with an increased risk due to playstyle, the entire team was built around his style, and he cost picks and lots of money to acquire. It wasn't like Aaron Rodgers hitting the market circa 2012.

14 minutes ago, Soggust said:

And let's keep in mind that Lamar during Free Agency was not viewed as the same Lamar as today, coming off an MVP season.

I like Lamar and I think he's clearly #2 QB in the league at the moment, but last offseason he had only had 1 MVP, 1 out of 4.5 elite years, injury concerns with an increased risk due to playstyle, the entire team was built around his style, and he cost picks and lots of money to acquire. It wasn't like Aaron Rodgers hitting the market circa 2012.

I mean, it's kind on the scouts and front office to know that Lamar Jackson changes very minimally from year-to-year, and his dip in production from 2021-2 was more due to his team collapsing around him than him regressing as a player.

Based on that they had an opportunity to sign Lamar when he was undervalued, but rather they chose to sign Goff when he was at his peak value. The result is they are now paying Goff about what Lamar would have cost. I'm not sure that's smart business.

14 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

I mean, it's kind on the scouts and front office to know that Lamar Jackson changes very minimally from year-to-year, and his dip in production from 2021-2 was more due to his team collapsing around him than him regressing as a player.

Based on that they had an opportunity to sign Lamar when he was undervalued, but rather they chose to sign Goff when he was at his peak value. The result is they are now paying Goff about what Lamar would have cost. I'm not sure that's smart business.

So, honest good-faith question, why were the Ravens willing to let him walk if every scout and front office in the league should have known he was a HoF QB entering his prime?

I'm asking because I think almost every reason or concern is equally applicable to the Lions' perspective, no? Because none of us, even paid professional scouts, can predict the future with certainty (I don't mean this to be snarky).

So, it just seems to fall into the "everyone passed on Aaron Rodgers" kind of thing for me, where scouting isn't an exact science. Especially when the guy has enough concerns that a team is willing to let him walk, despite being an MVP QB entering his prime.