Titans OTA/Training Camp Thread

44 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

This is great stuff. I wonder what our cap situation will look like next year.

Perhaps we made similar types of financially-savvy moves w/ the previous regime, but stuff like this is what makes Carthon+staff seem much more big picture thinking than JRob+staff. Every move seems to have an element of intent and with a sense of sustainability in the long term. It reads as more team building in the comprehensive sense...not just stacking talent but making sure we're taking care of ourselves financially along the way.

I'll always hold the JRob/Vrabel hayday era close to my heart, but there's a level of intelligence w/ this new front office that I think lacked previously. 

The future could prove that Carthon/Cally turns out to be a failure. But I have a hard time seeing many personnel decisions like signing Vic Beasley, Wilson/Farley back to back whiffs, trading AJB just to whiff on Burks...

I'm very confident in who we have in the building and I'm ready to start looking forward to Sundays again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deeluxx3 said:

Perhaps we made similar types of financially-savvy moves w/ the previous regime, but stuff like this is what makes Carthon+staff seem much more big picture thinking than JRob+staff. Every move seems to have an element of intent and with a sense of sustainability in the long term. It reads as more team building in the comprehensive sense...not just stacking talent but making sure we're taking care of ourselves financially along the way.

I'll always hold the JRob/Vrabel hayday era close to my heart, but there's a level of intelligence w/ this new front office that I think lacked previously. 

The future could prove that Carthon/Cally turns out to be a failure. But I have a hard time seeing many personnel decisions like signing Vic Beasley, Wilson/Farley back to back whiffs, trading AJB just to whiff on Burks...

I'm very confident in who we have in the building and I'm ready to start looking forward to Sundays again.

I get the positive vibes and the confidence, but the same gamble that led to the Farley whiff landed us Simmons. Brown to Burks, regardless of outcome, was a big picture move. If you love the principle, you simply can't just turn to the benefit of hindsight and get picky when it doesn't work out the way it was intended. 

We can stay confident about the current regime without ****ting on the previous one, especially when the vast majority of that hate is unwarranted.

1 minute ago, Andrei01 said:

I get the positive vibes and the confidence, but the same gamble that led to the Farley whiff landed us Simmons. Brown to Burks, regardless of outcome, was a big picture move. If you love the principle, you simply can't just turn to the benefit of hindsight and get picky when it doesn't work out the way it was intended. 

We can stay confident about the current regime without ****ting on the previous one, especially when the vast majority of that hate is unwarranted.

comparing an ACL, which almost every player is able to come back from at full strength at this day and age, to chronic back injuries and calling them the "same gamble" is a bit of a stretch. both of them were risks, sure, but simmons fell because he wouldn't be able to be a day 1 contributor and because of his assault in high school. farley was off many teams' boards entirely due to injuries alone. that's not the same gamble.

5 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

comparing an ACL, which almost every player is able to come back from at full strength at this day and age, to chronic back injuries and calling them the "same gamble" is a bit of a stretch. both of them were risks, sure, but simmons fell because he wouldn't be able to be a day 1 contributor and because of his assault in high school. farley was off many teams' boards entirely due to injuries alone. that's not the same gamble.

A microdiscectomy is also something people and athletes recover from. Yes, it's not the exact same type of injury, medical operation or risk, but the overall concept of drafting a highly talented prospected whose stock has fallen due to medical and/or off-the-field concerns is a principle by itself, which is obviously what I was referring to.

I understood the gamble on Farley.  I didn't love that pick in general, but I understood. They were hoping to hit the lottery twice and he didn't. It was a gamble for a team at the time, could afford to gamble. 

We were winning and a playoff team. 

Hindsight makes it look very terrible. At the time it was a big gamble. 

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

To be honest you won’t my honest opinion Farley should’ve set out his entire rookie yr, it takes 8-12 months for a back surgery  to fully recover. The titans tried treating him like Jeff hoping they could get something out of him his rookie season, but any rehab trainer will tell you after back surgery you need to rebuild your entire core back up. But then again he hurt his back in college from a deadlift, maybe his body is made of glass so let me Stfu 😩😆

47 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I understood the gamble on Farley.  I didn't love that pick in general, but I understood. They were hoping to hit the lottery twice and he didn't. It was a gamble for a team at the time, could afford to gamble. 

We were winning and a playoff team. 

Hindsight makes it look very terrible. At the time it was a big gamble. 

yeah, every team gambles on stuff, it's the nature of the draft. missing on farley wouldn't have mattered nearly as much, and wouldn't have cost robinson his job, if he didn't also miss on everyone else from 2020 onward.

In a vacuum, the risk on Farley was fine.  It was a late first rounder, and that's when you take swings.

The problem was that at the time we were drafting Farley, Isaiah Wilson was already well on his way to being a bust.  He played almost no time his rookie year.  Plus, we had just spent a second rounder on Kristian Fulton, so it's not like a huge swing for a CB was needed.  You can't have multiple firsts miss and be ok, so it was a problematic approach to take another big risk with Farley, especially when there were other, safer options at CB and other positions of need.

There are times you take big risks, and times that you don't.  It got worse next season when things were getting out of control and they took another big swing trading AJ Brown and drafting Burks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

In a vacuum, the risk on Farley was fine.  It was a late first rounder, and that's when you take swings.

The problem was that at the time we were drafting Farley, Isaiah Wilson was already well on his way to being a bust.  He played almost no time his rookie year.  Plus, we had just spent a second rounder on Kristian Fulton, so it's not like a huge swing for a CB was needed.  You can't have multiple firsts miss and be ok, so it was a problematic approach to take another big risk with Farley, especially when there were other, safer options at CB and other positions of need.

There are times you take big risks, and times that you don't.  It got worse next season when things were getting out of control and they took another big swing trading AJ Brown and drafting Burks.

Yeah, I get that, but I don't buy into abandoning one's principle even after busting out with Wilson. Which I didn't really think was a high-value/high-risk pick anyway, but I didn't know much to begin with about that class.

Problem is, in my eyes, and what ultimately killed J Rob's regime, the mid to late round picks weren't panning out at the rate they were in the first 3-4 years. Even the 1st round picks at that time he hit on, Conklin, Adoree and to a degree Corey and Evans, none of them were really building pieces. That Championship team was built on solid day 2 and 3 Draft picks and some several smart investments via FA or trades.

But yeah, ultimately, I give him tons of credit and I value him highly as a roster builder. Way more than I see people do, which is why I feel like playing devil's advocate from time to time.

4 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

Yeah, I get that, but I don't buy into abandoning one's principle even after busting out with Wilson. Which I didn't really think was a high-value/high-risk pick anyway, but I didn't know much to begin with about that class.

Problem is, in my eyes, and what ultimately killed J Rob's regime, the mid to late round picks weren't panning out at the rate they were in the first 3-4 years. Even the 1st round picks at that time he hit on, Conklin, Adoree and to a degree Corey and Evans, none of them were really building pieces. That Championship team was built on solid day 2 and 3 Draft picks and some several smart investments via FA or trades.

But yeah, ultimately, I give him tons of credit and I value him highly as a roster builder. Way more than I see people do, which is why I feel like playing devil's advocate from time to time.

What ultimately killed his j Rob regime was the WR’s he felt he could easily replace since we’re a run 1st team, came to Nashville & str8 up went off. Yea I know you know but I’m not over it sorry for the history lesson, 😣