Who had a HOF caliber start to their career but dropped off significantly?

Kiwibrown

On 5/19/2024 at 7:45 PM, Nabbs4u said:

Horse manure. He wasn't "Elite" when he put up 

16' : 96 rec 1321 yds 12TD?

18' : 86 rec 1524 yds 8TD?

Or was he just not the flashy celebrated Sports Center highlighted WR's from those years like 

16' OBJ, AB, Fitz players with less yds/TD  that season then Evans?

18' Ran into Tyreek, DHop and Julio having career seasons?

I mean hell don't you consider AJ Brown Elite? I do. Or are his 194 rec 2900yds and 18TD in 2 seasons as a Eagle somehow different then Mike's 16/18 combined #'s above?

Mike Evans might be the most under appreciated WR's in NFL history for what he's consistently managed to accomplish.  Especially with 💩 QB's he's had to deal with for the vast majority of it.

When was Mike Evans ever unquestionably one of the four best WRs in the league? Calling him elite is a huge stretch.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2024 at 6:50 PM, TheGreatZepp said:

Khalil Mack, had a few years where he was just dominant, all-decade team, DPOY but now he is still building his resume using longevity but isn’t a lock at this point.

Mack is a lock.

26 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Mack is a lock.

Ehh idk if I would call him a lock, although he has put up a very solid career. Several guys just prior to him that have/will go in first due to better careers(Ware, Freeney, Miller) and several other current players who have put up similar to better numbers or have the opportunity to surpass him from a numbers perspective such as tj watt, myles garrett, chris jones, bosa, etc. Also several other players who put up similar to better numbers who are not in such as robert mathis, jared allen, etc. 

Also I realize some of these guys play 4-3 DE vs 3-4 OLB but I feel like skillset wise and for purposes of comparison they are kind of lumped together for HOF. 

3 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

When was Mike Evans ever unquestionably one of the four best WRs in the league? Calling him elite is a huge stretch.

I listed the 2 seasons and his stats. 

34 minutes ago, MontanaBronco said:

Ehh idk if I would call him a lock, although he has put up a very solid career. Several guys just prior to him that have/will go in first due to better careers(Ware, Freeney, Miller) and several other current players who have put up similar to better numbers or have the opportunity to surpass him from a numbers perspective such as tj watt, myles garrett, chris jones, bosa, etc. Also several other players who put up similar to better numbers who are not in such as robert mathis, jared allen, etc. 

Also I realize some of these guys play 4-3 DE vs 3-4 OLB but I feel like skillset wise and for purposes of comparison they are kind of lumped together for HOF. 

5x All-Pro, DPOY and made an All-Decade team. He's a lock.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

DT Kevin Williams has all those minus DPOY (but had DPOY-worthy campaigns and his 5 all-pros were all first-team). Years after eligibility, he's not in. 

Edited by Duluther
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

I listed the 2 seasons and his stats. 

I don’t think anyone was putting him in the Julio/AB tier in 2016, or the Julio/Nuk tier in 2018. They were amazing seasons but having amazing seasons is different than being viewed as amongst the best at your position. 

This year Trey Hendrickson had more sacks than Nick Bosa, Micah Parsons, and Maxx Crosby, that doesn’t make him an elite player.

18 minutes ago, Soko said:

This year Trey Hendrickson had more sacks than Nick Bosa, Micah Parsons, and Maxx Crosby, that doesn’t make him an elite player.

No just makes him underrated. Not the hyped, highly pimped out players the NFL and Sports media outlets use to make money.

Hence why I said...

Or was he just not the flashy celebrated Sports Center highlighted WR's from those years like 

16' OBJ, AB, Fitz players with less yds/TD  that season then Evans?

18' Ran into Tyreek, DHop and Julio having career seasons?

Edited by Nabbs4u

22 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

So what is Mack’s trademark, when you think of his highlight reel what comes to mind? That’s why he’s in my Hall of Very Good; he doesn’t have a career defining moment! Unfortunate, sure but he has been on 4 winning teams in 10 years and is 0-4 in the playoffs. Patrick Willis took 5 years of eligibility to get in and I do not have them in the same tier, Willis was the destructive tackling heart and soul of a consistently top defense! He only played 7 1/2 years but his impact was so much bigger than his stats and that is MY defining trait of a Hall of Fame player. 

2 hours ago, Duluther said:

DT Kevin Williams has all those minus DPOY (but had DPOY-worthy campaigns and his 5 all-pros were all first-team). Years after eligibility, he's not in. 

Defensive Player of the Year goes a long way here to separate those 2. Though I will say it's a damn shame Williams is getting so little love.

1 hour ago, TheGreatZepp said:

So what is Mack’s trademark, when you think of his highlight reel what comes to mind? That’s why he’s in my Hall of Very Good; he doesn’t have a career defining moment! Unfortunate, sure but he has been on 4 winning teams in 10 years and is 0-4 in the playoffs. Patrick Willis took 5 years of eligibility to get in and I do not have them in the same tier, Willis was the destructive tackling heart and soul of a consistently top defense! He only played 7 1/2 years but his impact was so much bigger than his stats and that is MY defining trait of a Hall of Fame player. 

That might be your defining trait, but you don't vote on the committee for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

On 5/20/2024 at 5:19 PM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I just thought of Neal Anderson for the Bears. The successor to Walter Payton. He was on a roll his first few seasons. Four straight Pro Bowls. But then his production declined, and injuries roughed him up. 

He feasted on those rotten late 80s era GB teams. 

Once GB got good that was the end for him. ;)