Show us your crystal balls!

it's a PREDICTION thread, you goofs!

tell us what you think will happen this season, and we'll revisit this months from now.... 

when will McCarthy start... how many games will we win... who will be the starting offensive line... what kind of impact will Dallas Turner have...

etc... etc... etc...

what comes to mind?

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

hmm... i think he's starting after the bye.

I'm taking a cautious approach here, but I would prefer your approach. It's a year of development and perhaps the best thing for McCarthy is to get some experience.

Still, I think the team goes with Darnold/Hall this year and then gives McCarthy the go ahead in 2025.

My projection is that they go 8-9.  McCarthy gets his first action (not start) mopping up after Darnold in a blowout win over Arizona on 12/1.  They'll be out of true contention for the playoffs by Week 17, so he'll make his first start vs. the Packers at US Bank that week.

Dallas Turner will finish 3rd in DROTY voting, but will garner 8 sacks and 2 FF.

Jets will get 1500+ yds receiving again (for the 3rd time in his 5 yrs), but will crack the 10 TD mark for only the 2nd time (I think he'll get 12). 

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Record of 6-11

McCarthy doesn't take a snap this season

Dallas Turner wins DROY

Aaron Jones owns the Packers

If we’re 6-11, I have a tough time believing McCarthy won’t take a snap. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

KOC talked about McCarthy needing to reach certain benchmarks before he takes over as the starter. 

Given how NFL teams operate during the season, if McCarthy doesn’t reach those benchmarks by the beginning of the season I don’t see how he’ll reach them as the season progresses. Therefor, if he’s not the week 1 starter, he’ll redshirt the 2024 season.

Also, I don’t think Darnold will be bad enough to bench. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

KOC talked about McCarthy needing to reach certain benchmarks before he takes over as the starter. 

Given how NFL teams operate during the season, if McCarthy doesn’t reach those benchmarks by the beginning of the season I don’t see how he’ll reach them as the season progresses. Therefor, if he’s not the week 1 starter, he’ll redshirt the 2024 season.

Also, I don’t think Darnold will be bad enough to bench. 

I agree with you.  O'Connell will be game planning around Darnold, if McCarthy is not the starter.  That will be his priority and McCarthy meeting benchmarks during the season is secondary.  That doesn't mean he can't reach those benchmarks, but if the offense is playing well with Darnold at QB, there's no reason to start McCarthy unless there is an injury. 

I think McCarthy will become the starter at some point in the season. If not after the bye, then by Week 12 or 14 or so. It all depends on his development and of course the quality level (or health) of Darnold.

Is there a benefit to him being the "named" starter? Yes, he gets to practice during the week with the #1's.

Can he meet his benchmarks without being the starter and practicing with the 1's? Sure, it all depends what the benchmarks are. Maybe they have to do with his football intelligence and play understanding, before he's even taken snaps.

I trust the process.

Posted (edited)

Early NFC North Predictions: Where will the Vikings finish?

1. Detroit Lions (projected record: 12-5)

Not too much changed for the Detroit Lions this offseason. They extended some of their key pieces and replaced their exiting free agents well while adding some interesting talent through the draft. Under head coach Dan Campbell and offensive coordinator Ben Johnson, there is no reason to believe Detroit will regress this season.

If they can continue to move the ball on offense and tighten up their No. 27 ranked pass defense, the Lions could be an even scarier team to face this season than they were last year. And that's not a good thing for Vikings fans.

2. Green Bay Packers (projected record: 10-7)

The Green Bay Packers have taken an offense that had low expectations with Jordan Love at quarterback. Last year. they had a top ten pass defense but gave up a lot of yards on the ground to opponents.

Green Bay will look a little different on offense this year now that they have replaced Aaron Jones with former Raiders running back Josh Jacobs and have moved on from longtime left tackle David Bakhtiari. However, that shouldn't take anything away from their ability to move the ball.

3. Minnesota Vikings (projected record: 8-9)

Last year was a total disaster for the Minnesota Vikings. Injuries swept through the team's key contributors and they ended up losing quite a few winnable games because of silly mistakes throughout the year.

Kirk Cousins has exited the Vikings and is set to be replaced by J.J. McCarthy as soon as he is ready. In the meantime, Sam Darnold will have an opportunity to lead Justin Jefferson, Jordan Addison, T.J. Hockenson, and the rest of the Minnesota offense.

4. Chicago Bears (projected record: 8-9)

The Chicago Bears are a team that is moving in the right direction. They have a new franchise quarterback in Caleb Williams and some great weapons to catch his passes. Defensively, they gave up the fewest rushing yards last year and should be good in that area again.

Although Chicago will be better this year and have added some interesting pieces to the mix, they still need to put it all together and find a way to win more games. How you view the Bears could heavily depend on how you view head coach Matt Eberflus' ability to direct this talented young roster.

https://thevikingage.com/posts/early-nfc-north-predictions-minnesota-vikings-finish?

Edited by vike daddy

The offense will struggle this season regardless of who helms the team. Darnold isn't scaring anyone, and Rookie QBs usually take time. I think the Vikings finish near the bottom of the league because of that. You need a good QB to win close games. I predicted the Lions would win the NFC North last season despite most, if not all posters here not having it. They will do so again this season unless Love elevates even further. The bigger question is what will happen with Jefferson. He has to like McCarthy and develop some good feelings about his capability as a starter before he signs that extension in my mind. 

• Like 1