TAPT Version 71.0 Kent Branstetter never votes for an incumbent

19 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

There is now officially an exception to that rule. If something goes wrong on a video of a fireworks show? You are gonna watch that video every 4th of July for the rest of your life

Ever seethe clips from about a decade ago where someone in San Diego messed up and all the fireworks shot off at once?

Like, ALL.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Refugee said:

Is the Mormon god known to smite people down? People seemed pretty willing to accept the fate. 

Depends on if they’re wearing their magic underwear or not. 

10 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I like to take a time lapse of fireworks.  Get like the last 30 seconds and it goes off in 3 seconds, it looks neat.  A slo-mo video is also pretty cool, the sparks fall really neat.  Guess I am a moron with a sub 90 IQ.

You take videos of fireworks to alter the appearance for art purposes. That’s different than rewatching the 15 minute county fairgrounds show that no one got hurt at.
I chopped down a concrete silo one year and I’ll still go back to my recording of it falling and use the slider to make it look like it’s slapping the ground 100x faster for fun. Is it childish? Yes. Does it give a cool affect? Not really. But I was only recording because I could’ve died if it didn’t go to plan and I know plenty of people would’ve liked to see that.

2 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Ever seethe clips from about a decade ago where someone in San Diego messed up and all the fireworks shot off at once?

Like, ALL.

That was so cool but the moment it ended I was devastated for whomever paid for that. Even if they got it for costs of materials someone has to risk their limbs putting it together.

3 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Like, ALL.

How much you paying the new guy?

15 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

How much you paying the new guy?

The company responsible for the show (Garden State Fireworks, they're big-time in pyro) that had the technical issue apologized and offered to do next year's show for the city for free as a means of making it right.

20 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I would be 100% down for a fireworks display purposely shooting all of them off at once.  Just advertise it.  Tell them it starts at 9:45 sharp, and it will end at 9:45.30.  

Wouldn't be hard to do, since the way this works is that these are all electronic fuses triggered by a computer program (they fill the whole barge with mortars with basketball-sized shells, nobody is anywhere close to it.)  They just program the fuses to trigger in sequence, but the night of the Big Bay Boom kerfuffle there was a corrupted file and apparently the default for the fireworks code is "send everything" instead of "send nothing".

So if this is what the customer wants, they will absolutely do it.  It's just that this is usually not what the customer wants.

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Wouldn't be hard to do, since the way this works is that these are all electronic fuses triggered by a computer program (they fill the whole barge with mortars with basketball-sized shells, nobody is anywhere close to it.)  They just program the fuses to trigger in sequence, but the night of the Big Bay Boom kerfuffle there was a corrupted file and apparently the default for the fireworks code is "send everything" instead of "send nothing".

So if this is what the customer wants, they will absolutely do it.  It's just that this is usually not what the customer wants.

My uncle, who was a carpenter in Milwaukee at the time, would help the Bartolotta family set up all of the fireworks for the various lakefront festivals including the Big Bang. He did a few night setting them off. Even a few decades ago they had some electronic means of ignition. But he told me the training mainly consisted of preparing yourself for how fast the fuses ran. In a blink of an eye a several foot fuse was gone.  You had to get used to it to be ready for show time. I’m assuming today things are much less analog and preprogrammed but at the time there was still a human element of coordinating a crew to get the fireworks up in concert. 

5 hours ago, Refugee said:

My uncle, who was a carpenter in Milwaukee at the time, would help the Bartolotta family set up all of the fireworks for the various lakefront festivals including the Big Bang. He did a few night setting them off. Even a few decades ago they had some electronic means of ignition. But he told me the training mainly consisted of preparing yourself for how fast the fuses ran. In a blink of an eye a several foot fuse was gone.  You had to get used to it to be ready for show time. I’m assuming today things are much less analog and preprogrammed but at the time there was still a human element of coordinating a crew to get the fireworks up in concert. 

The fireworks themselves are little works of art—concentric rows of small, precisely fused packets, each packet containing hand-filled amounts of those amalgamations of metals and explosives that sometimes hold their own smaller packets.

Humans do some fantastically weird things just to inspire physiopsychemotional reactions in their buddies.

9 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The send everything is probably a safety measure.  Any fireworks that don't go off are effectively a bomb waiting to go off. 

My boss is (or at least was) part of the fireworks committee in St Louis.  I have had opportunities to go with the barge before they shoot them off.  It would be cool, but I think you have to get there at like 8 am, and then stay with the barge until it gets back to the dock after the show, then fight traffic.  Probably looking at a 20 hour day.  Couple that with I have just about the best view you can get of the fireworks display from my bedroom window, it is an easy pass.  

8 hours ago, Refugee said:

My great grandparents lived in a small town called Sarcoxie, MO.  Current population is a little less than 1400.  Their fire department had a fireworks display at the local high school.  My grandparents lived across the street from the school, so we would go over and sit on blankets and lawn chairs in their driveway.  The guys were still lighting them manually well into the 90s after bigger displays were automated.  It was really cool because you could see them light off, and once in a while there would be a not perfect set-up and one would blow up like 5 feet off the ground or whatever.  

11 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I hope the nuclear football is running different software.