Jaguars extend QB Trevor Lawrence (5 years, $275M, $200M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

7 minutes ago, squire12 said:

the tags are guaranteed with a full amount cap hit.  there is no way to reduce the cap hit with back loading the contract and pushing money out into future years.  If you look at the big QB contracts, the average per year is big, the the cap hits in the first few years is smaller, so teams can still be active and add pieces to the roster for a playoff push.  

Gotcha ty!

On 6/13/2024 at 7:24 PM, MWil23 said:

What if I have watched him play?

We generally agree on QBs once the sample is decent, which is why I'm surprised we don't here.

I've only seen him live once but between all the London, Thursday nights, and just random games I've watched more of the Jags than I'd like to admit and the guy looks good. He doesn't run around in a panic under pressure all the time, he keeps his eyes down field. He can make every throw, his accuracy is excellent. He has shown the ability to manipulate the pocket, step up in the pocket, and even wait/invite the pressure to get a 1:1 matchup. He's really quick and knows how to scramble for first downs.

I realize his stats are bad, but he's shown absolutely everything during games and when stuff goes wrong it's not silly donkey mistakes like Daniel Jones. If he never improves statistically, I will be completely mystified as to why.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

He's got less cuz his extension was in 2021.

How would you say Josh Allen 2020 and Trevor Lawrence 2023 compare, statistically?

That’s why one is overpaid and one wasn’t.

17 minutes ago, squire12 said:

the franchise tag is a nice concept as a waiting to see more plan, but it also is a locked in guaranteed amount that teams have to be able to fit that big cap charge under the cap.  

True. That would mean that this draft and next draft have to be home runs to have play that highly outpaces salary.

The Niners IMO are the weird one. Mullens put up numbers, but didn't win. Jimmy G won, but couldn't stay on the field. Lance was a bust. So they've been through the QB gambit with Shanahan and seemed to have found one that works. So I expect them to keep him, lose Deebo as a trade off. But as high of a level Williams is playing at he is 35, so despite warranting maybe another contract they might want to look for his replacement sooner than later. And as far as I know they need some secondary work.

Not like they had much of a choice.....but like. Wait a year? See if he maybe warrants more cause it's not like they would've ended up paying him *more* if they were gonna make him the highest paid QB ever. 

Burrow at least had the playoff resume, Lawrence has....uh. 1/3 good seasons. He's capable of being the best QB in the NFL but he sure hasn't looked it. Should've been a wait 1 more year and see approach, maybe 2 if you wanna make sure since the Pederson regime ain't exactly a screaming good one.

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

True. That would mean that this draft and next draft have to be home runs to have play that highly outpaces salary.

The Niners IMO are the weird one. Mullens put up numbers, but didn't win. Jimmy G won, but couldn't stay on the field. Lance was a bust. So they've been through the QB gambit with Shanahan and seemed to have found one that works. So I expect them to keep him, lose Deebo as a trade off. But as high of a level Williams is playing at he is 35, so despite warranting maybe another contract they might want to look for his replacement sooner than later. And as far as I know they need some secondary work.

it is a fascinating concept to consider.  it is easy to say, pass on paying the QB that type of contract and trade them away.   that means you have to find a QB better than what you sent out.... and ideally that is a better QB in that first year and not after several years of development.  There are plenty of teams that have been doing the revolving door of QB  and searching for the QBoTF.   Jets, Miami, CLE, Chicago, Washington, TB (prior to Brady) are some teams that have been had some stretches of iffy QB play

8 minutes ago, squire12 said:

it is a fascinating concept to consider.  it is easy to say, pass on paying the QB that type of contract and trade them away.   that means you have to find a QB better than what you sent out.... and ideally that is a better QB in that first year and not after several years of development.  There are plenty of teams that have been doing the revolving door of QB  and searching for the QBoTF.   Jets, Miami, CLE, Chicago, Washington, TB (prior to Brady) are some teams that have been had some stretches of iffy QB play

Throw my Steelers on there with Mason, Mitch, Kenny, now Russ Huss and Fields. 

• Like 1

Washington from the 2015 season is an interesting case study.  Cousins was the starter and the 2 franchise tags later, Cousins leaves in FA and washington is searching for a QB until this past draft.  

Muddling through QB's like Alex Smith, Keenum, Heinicke, Howell

• Like 2

I'm still a Lawrence believer, but this is quite an investment for someone who has been wildly inconsistent and not shown as much as any of the other QBs in his pay range. If he can harness what he did in the 2nd half of 2022, then this will be fine. But man...his turnovers are a real problem.

2 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

If Trevor plays like the 1st half of last year it's a bargain

That would be a better statement if you could say the second half of the year.

Him getting worse throughout the year isn't good. 

4 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

That would be a better statement if you could say the second half of the year.

Him getting worse throughout the year isn't good. 

Unfortunately he had a concussion shoulder injuries during that time not to mention losing the wr he trusts the most.

38 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I'm still a Lawrence believer, but this is quite an investment for someone who has been wildly inconsistent and not shown as much as any of the other QBs in his pay range. If he can harness what he did in the 2nd half of 2022, then this will be fine. But man...his turnovers are a real problem.

They aren't a problem if u score a TD more per game I'm told

No big deal. Lawrence has a ton of upside. If it doesn't pan out, so be it. They at least know he's not a bum (unless he stops trying after he gets paid, but that's the risk you take with anybody).

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

No big deal. Lawrence has a ton of upside. If it doesn't pan out, so be it. They at least know he's not a bum (unless he stops trying after he gets paid, but that's the risk you take with anybody).

This is just classic everyone over reacting to a deal.

Things people need to consider.

1) he's 24 turning 25 during the season.

2) jags are not likely to be in the Top ten to potentially nab a top QB(I'm not buying this 2025 crop even having a real franchise guy at this point).

3) the average cost of a starting QB not on a rookie deal is trending towards 60 million.

• Like 1