Best Team To Ever Have The #1 Pick (Their OWN Pick)

Armbar

5 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

1994 Oilers the previous season had come off their 7th straight playoff appearance. They still had a lot of talent heading into that 1994 season. Some departures with the advent of the salary cap, but of course no Warren Moon was the biggest loss that completely nuked their season. They were able to climb back to 7 wins in 1995, and then went 8-8 the next three seasons under Jeff Fisher (hee haw). 

Yeah, going from Moon to Cody Carlson will nuke a season. Losing Buddy Ryan also had an impact.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Jeff Fisher could get any of these teams that finished with the worst record to 8-8.

I mean they'd be perpetually stuck at .500 at that point but at least they wouldn't be the worst team in the league!

Coolest backdoor flex past, present, or future. 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2024 at 10:11 AM, Soko said:

Brown, Addai, and Clark were definitely JAGs. At least by 2011, anyway (in Clark’s case). 

In the trenches, they did have Freeney/Mathis with juice in the tank, old man Jeff Saturday, rookie Anthony Costanzo, young Jerry Hughes (who I don’t think even played), so I think they were a horrific roster with a handful of solid veterans.

But I think a lot of teams qualify with that, tbh. Like, even the 0-16 Browns had Myles Garrett, Joe Schobert (Pro Bowler that year), Joel Bitonio, JC Tretter, Kevin Zeitler, and Jabrill Peppers. 

Similarly 2003 Chargers had Brees, LT, Lo Neal, Antonio Gates, Quentin Jammer, and Marcellus Wiley.

Teams are getting better at tanking so you've gotta be really bad to get the number 1 overall pick these days. Plus pre-expansion with fewer teams it was easier straight up.

5 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Jeff Fisher could get any of these teams that finished with the worst record to 8-8.

I mean they'd be perpetually stuck at .500 at that point but at least they wouldn't be the worst team in the league!

That was savage.

200w-9.gif

• Like 1

On 6/18/2024 at 11:34 AM, Apparition said:

The 1981 Patriots went 2-14 but 0-8 in 1-score games. They underperformed their Pythagorean record by almost 5 wins, and got absolutely killed by turnovers. They made the playoffs in both 1980 and 1982.

Actually, while making the playoffs in the first strike year of 1982, they barely missed the playoffs in 1980 after the Bills beat SF and the Steelers lost to SD on MNF (in Week 16).

1981 was another year in that post-1976 haze that the Pats were in (the year that they had the disappointing loss @Oakland in the AFC Divisional round). They didn't really get out of that until 1985.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Actually, while making the playoffs in the first strike year of 1982, they barely missed the playoffs in 1980 after the Bills beat SF and the Steelers lost to SD on MNF (in Week 16).

1981 was another year in that post-1976 haze that the Pats were in (the year that they had the disappointing loss @Oakland in the AFC Divisional round). They didn't really get out of that until 1985.

ah, yeah. They went 10-6 in '80 but missed the playoffs.

In 1978, the Lions finished 7-9, but they had (seemingly) and up and coming QB in Gary Danielson, and they were picked by several people to win the NFC Central in 1979.

However, Danielson was hurt in pre-season, and the Lions finished 2-14. That led to them getting the #1 pick in 1980, and getting Oklahoma RB Billy Sims.

With Sims, the team catapulted from 2-14 to 9-7, barely missing the playoffs.

On 6/18/2024 at 9:00 AM, Soko said:

Like I said, most teams have 5ish good players they can point to. If you’re just talking from a talent collection standpoint, I don’t see how they move the needle. The bad Bucs team had Mike Evans, Vincent Jackson, Demar Dotson, Gerald McCoy, Lavonte David, Alteraun Verner, and DaShon Goldson. The Bengals had a half year of Dalton, Joe Mixon, Tyler Boyd, Carlos Dunlap, Geno Atkins, Sam Hubbard, William Jackson, and Jesse Bates. I think a lot of these #1 teams have good veterans aboard.

The Luck Colts really don’t have much to do with it, either. New HC, new OC, new DC, QB, new RB, new WR, new TE(s), three new OL, new DL, new LBer, new CB, new S. And those are all starters. I wouldn’t say the Luck led Colts were drowning in talent, but it’s also not even close to a situation where you just dropped rookie Luck onto the same 2011 Colts team, and they all of a sudden played well. Kinda ditto with the 2010 Colts, they were an elite passing team but they were awful running the ball and atrocious defensively. So if you take away the HOF QB off an elite passing attack and insert a borderline non-NFL QB…yeah, that’ll fall, and the other elements of the team were never there in the first place.

Who were the panthers 5ish good players last year? 

28 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

Who were the panthers 5ish good players last year? 

Jaycee Horn, Derrick Brown, Brian Burns, Frankie Luvu, Tyler Moton, maybe Ikem Ekwonu (in terms of talent). 

16 hours ago, Soko said:

Jaycee Horn, Derrick Brown, Brian Burns, Frankie Luvu, Tyler Moton, maybe Ikem Ekwonu (in terms of talent). 

Horn was injured most of the year. Burns is on another team. As is Luvu. Ekwonu was terrible last year. They were pretty bad overall last year and coaching was terrible there too.

3 hours ago, scar988 said:

Horn was injured most of the year. Burns is on another team. As is Luvu. Ekwonu was terrible last year. They were pretty bad overall last year and coaching was terrible there too.

Maybe I read the thread incorrectly, but I thought it was about teams that picked number one overall and how they played that season - not how they played the following season. The post I responded to even said “last year”. So Burns and Luvu being gone now is a non-factor. Horn still played 6 games. Ekwonu, I already said “maybe talent wise”. 

So yeah, still 5ish good players on that team…as is the case with a lot of these teams in the discussion.