Training Camp Thread

I think it's fair to say Bo's first showing has produced polarising views across QB film accounts on youtube.

JT O'Sullivan, not really a fan (some key throws missing from the analysis, I must add).

Tim Jenkins, seemed to be very positive on the whole (he's a very positive person though).

Both of these are worth a watch, as long as you put in the context that viewership matters to these people. JT is always making snide jokes as a way of increasing views, and Tim has a habit of being overly positive for the same reason in my view.

• Like 2

Nix is going to be the starter. If he falls flat on his face against GB, they may delay him starting for a few weeks, but he's going to start the vast majority of games this year barring injury. It's clear Payton is enamored with him and he's clearly performed well enough to be considered. I was impressed by what I saw against IND. First drive was shaky, but everything after that was strong and he got points out of almost every drive.

Wasn't too impressed with Estime, but he's coming off injury playing behind 2nd/3rd stringers. Gotta keep that in perspective. Most of the WRs impressed me. I think we still lack that high end #1 weapon but the depth we've built is actually quite good and should Nix take the next step, I think we'll be squarely in the market for a #1 next year.

Elliss looked good defensively. Hoping to see more of that motor as time goes on. Not a ton of takeaways for me on the defensive side of the ball otherwise.

Next game against GB should be a bit more telling.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I think it's fair to say Bo's first showing has produced polarising views across QB film accounts on youtube.

JT O'Sullivan, not really a fan (some key throws missing from the analysis, I must add).

Tim Jenkins, seemed to be very positive on the whole (he's a very positive person though).

Both of these are worth a watch, as long as you put in the context that viewership matters to these people. JT is always making snide jokes as a way of increasing views, and Tim has a habit of being overly positive for the same reason in my view.

I think most of JTs critiques were fair. He obviously was focused on the poor plays. But when he insulated that NOT throwing into triple coverage was a bad thing? He lost me

If we look at the number of sacks Russ took last year after 2.4 seconds (the average time to throw in the NFL since 2020) it was all but 13 sacks. I think this line is going to look MUUUCH better with Bo. Hes a rookie and will still make mistakes but I think we can expect around 20 less sacks this season. I also think we will greatly improve our 3&out rate. We were worst in the NFL last season with ~1/3 of all drives going 3 and out. If we even go back to league average (~20%) that’s huge.

both of these should lead to more points, more TOP, fresher D, better field position. 

I’m excited 

• Like 5

Promising start. Agree with a lot of JTs analysis in regards to Nix clearly having some things he can work on in regards to controlled movement in the pocket but it is hard not to be excited by the short passing game precision and his overall quality decision making. 

Excited to see Nix take a few downfield shots in the coming weeks as well as get some more game time reps with the first team. 

• Like 1

Fairly non biased analysis.

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/broncos-player-grades-colts-win-bo-nix

Good catch by @lomaxgrUK on Jacobs. Also, remember his point about the strength of our 2nd/3rd unit OL. Going against other teams backups it's quite an advantage. We're mighty deep with NFL journeyman. On D, what little I saw Roach will be great in a rotation. 

Hard to take much from a 1st preseason game but we looked well coached and prepared, especially in the trenches. I saw they had Sutton, Reynolds and Patrick start. We've got lots of huge WR's and I'm curious how that'll play out.

Good 1st outing. Much more dominant than the score would indicate.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Fairly non biased analysis.

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/broncos-player-grades-colts-win-bo-nix

Good catch by @lomaxgrUK on Jacobs. Also, remember his point about the strength of our 2nd/3rd unit OL. Going against other teams backups it's quite an advantage. We're mighty deep with NFL journeyman. On D, what little I saw Roach will be great in a rotation. 

Hard to take much from a 1st preseason game but we looked well coached and prepared, especially in the trenches. I saw they had Sutton, Reynolds and Patrick start. We've got lots of huge WR's and I'm curious how that'll play out.

Good 1st outing. Much more dominant than the score would indicate.

Honesty id really like Mims to play more. He was so underutilized last season. It was damn near criminal. Hope Franklin turns the corner too. He and Mims could be a lethal combo on the outside with Sutton in the slot 

7 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Honesty id really like Mims to play more. He was so underutilized last season. It was damn near criminal. Hope Franklin turns the corner too. He and Mims could be a lethal combo on the outside with Sutton in the slot 

We've got 7 WR's 6'3" plus.  I'm not sure I've ever seen that many on one roster. Some of them sneaky fast for big guys and most of 'em great at jump balls. Blocking also a plus. Mims will get a lot of looks this year but Franklin may have to bulk up. 

I've just never seen a team use so many big guys. Imagine a 4 wide set with Patrick, Sutton, Reynolds and Humphrey. How the hell does a DC deal with that? I'm sure there's a reason nobody does it, just not sure what it is. Toss in a Krull and you've got 5 talented "possesion" receivers that are huge. I noticed in the box score that 18 of our completions were to guys 6'3" or more with 2 more to Johnson at 6'2".  We didn't end up with a great YPA but did have a 71% completion rate.

Anyway, just food for thought.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

There's going to be some tough cuts in that WR room. Would it be absolutely crazy if Franklin got cut? He'd never clear waivers to make the PS

I don't think they cut him. I think Patrick gets cut unless he has a victor cruz esque preseason 

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

There's going to be some tough cuts in that WR room. Would it be absolutely crazy if Franklin got cut? He'd never clear waivers to make the PS

I can't imagine that. That said, we've also got a lot of decent WR's and he may have the worst hands of the group.  Maybe put him on  the 53 like they did Forsyth last year, a red shirt year.

Edited by AKRNA

I think most likely we use the bottom of that depth chart to try and trade for another back up position were lighter at. We likely won’t get anything of significant value but I’m sure the team is working on something like that.

2 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I don't think they cut him. I think Patrick gets cut unless he has a victor cruz esque preseason 

I’ll eat my shoe if Patrick gets cut. Exactly the kind of guy that Payton loves. Blocks well and does all the little things right. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MontanaBronco said:

I’ll eat my shoe if Patrick gets cut. Exactly the kind of guy that Payton loves. Blocks well and does all the little things right. 

Whilst I totally agree, if a desperate contender comes in with a good offer then that is going to be a decision for Payton to make, especially if Vele balls out.

Payton (we all know it's him rather than Paton) traded up for Franklin. They used the equivalent of a 4th, 5th and 7th round pick to select him. That's a bold play to move on from that investment after less than 6 months.

Ultimately, it's going to come down to Special Teams coverage I think. If Franklin can get his big boy pads on and prove he's a factor on Special Teams coverage, he's a lock. If he a minus contributor there and Vele (or any other WR for that matter) can prove they are a factor on Special Teams, then we are going to see a popular name in our community get cut / traded.